Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

sledding

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sledding

Anyone got the itch? been out yet? I know there's a few guys here that ride.....

Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
Afew out here too, seems that now there`s just enough snow.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah I know someone that has the itch, my woman. She has been looking pretty hard the past few weeks for a couple of good used sleds (we just cant justify brand new ones for what they cost, and how little we actually will ride them) but she hasnt really found anything that great for a deal yet.

Lots of snowmobile tracks out there I see though.

Sherm, whats the deal with the Polaris you said you bought...?! Pics buddy, pics!!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 PM
skidooman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a few guys out around town today, makes me want to get mine going and get out there. I just don't know how much riding I'll get in now with the little guy.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Sherm, whats the deal with the Polaris you said you bought...?! Pics buddy, pics!!
I don't think I said I bought it, but was thinking of it. Its a new sled by Polaris this year, 800 Switchback Assault 144" track. Its perhaps the top of the food chain for crossover sleds this year. The local dealer is getting some in this week, I've asked them to put my name on one and call me when they get in. I'll make up my mind for sure when I go see it. Back east we used to do a ton of sledding. There used to be a lot of snow, still is in the backcountry, but out here this is the first winter since I've been here where it looks like a sled might be feasable.

I also started looking for a good used sled, but I have a hard time buying used stuff. All too often if you see a "good" deal, you end up problems soon down the road. If something is truly pristine and 100% not going to give you grief, you likely pay too much for a piece of aged equipment. I often just do without until I can afford new.

Marlon, we'll have to get together and go for a ride if I go through with this purchase...

here is the sled I'm considering...

Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
We are just hoping that 800 engine stands up better than the 08-10 800.
Three guys I know got that same sled Sherm, two grey and one orange with the 2" track (that would be my choice as I currently have an RMK and ride with lots of guys who still go to the mntns).
Three other guys got Pro RMK's - 2 red and one silver!
Tracks are such a huge variable in what sleds can do, as are engines and suspensions.
If I could order one, it would be a 144x2" track and uncoupled rear suspension - hey, the new Orange Assault is just that...
My 2007 Dragon 700 RMK will be my steed for this season! It seems that I ride less each season and get less passionate about it as well. I used to get every magazine, check out all the forums, etc. It wasnt long ago that I rode 5000 kms in one season then make a spring mntn trip --- Now I must be acting my age...

Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
I had thought about the rmk/155/2.25 but my cousin back east who rides a ton said this assault would be the ultimate sled and his choice of his next sled. He currently rides a 2008 rmk 800/155 and likes it but its too mountain dedicated and not nimble enough on trails. I'll be getting the extended powertrain warranty hopefully won't have any probs.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
I feel exactly the same as your cousin and the configuration. I have the same - 155 x 2.4 and my previous sled was a 144 x 2. My next will have a 144x2 again! The 155 set up works so well in the mntns and anyone who goes there will compromise here with the extra length. I wouldnt get less than 2" because of who I ride with - the big track sleds rocket from 0-50 mph and lesser tracks are always playing catch up, then blow by. I love the open field acceleration and the wheelie-effect that an uncoupled suspension / lots of track combo offers!!!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I got mine home on saturday and we plan on taking them up north next weekend. It will be their first test since I rebuilt both motors last spring.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 96sherm
I don't think I said I bought it, but was thinking of it.
My bad I misunderstood ya
Originally Posted by 96sherm
Anyone into sledding? I may have bought a 2011 switchback 800 today...

Yeah i hear ya on used stuff. I choose that route cause that way I can keep investing my extra cash, and have something to ride. It pays off well cause then I get something used, learn how to fix it, and still get to spend cash on "important" things haha.

I just passed on a Skidoo summit, just a bit too much cash for the year.

Are you a Polaris guy as well Warren?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Have had lots of sleds in my younger days of various colors. When I quit trucking I bought a one year old 1992 RXL, then a new 1995 Storm, then a new 1996 Ultra (left over in 1997), then piped it, then bought another 1996 Ultra that had an 800 big bore kit , then switched to Skidoo. Bought one of those chromed up Millenium Summits (2000 700), then a 2002 800 Summit X.
Back on Polaris now with my 2007 Dragon 700 RMK.
Will get one of those 144x2 800 orange Assaults once I see if that engine is any good. I sled with 2 different groups of guys, and its at least 80% Polaris. Lots of die hards, yet almost everyone who had a 2008-2010 800 blew up once, and some 2 or 3 times! These are not kids, middle age guys who look afteer their stuff...

Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
This is the one I like - was a snow check special with the 2" track option - will buy a one year old version of this if they prove themselves...

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...ssault-144.gif

Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
I went in there today and(dealer) told the man that I'll take one. Polaris has a no interest/paymentsdown payment for 6 months deal right now that I'll try to take advantage of. Its been a long time since I've been this excited about snowmobiling. Back on the Rock, it was a passion, perhaps my favorite past time. Used to long for winter to come. Since I left, I've hardly put 500 miles on a sled. My FIL had 2 '98 polaris fan cooled sleds that were "fun" but you were beat to a snot at the end of a short day.

I seen one of the orange snow check machines today in the shop. Beauty. I wish I had thought about sledding sooner...I would definately have gone for that!! I'm going to put the higher windshield on the switchback, as well as a Mbrp or some sort of can... Love that BRRRAAAAAAAPPP...

Warren, did you ever tripple pipe one of your tripple sleds?? Thats a piece of music too. Nothing beats the sound of a tripple/tripple coming through a valley at full throttle.

Colin, refresh my memory on what you ride? Yamaha's aren't they??

I believe Prairie Lariat sleds as well. He's in yorkton now, so I'll have to hit him up some time!!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
My RXL was a 650 triple with a single pipe and I left it that way. My 800 Storm had triple pipes from the factory. My first Ultra(680 cc triple) got triple pipes with 'zero' miles on the sled. The 800 big bore Ultra had triple pipes and was a rocket!!!
My last 3 sleds have been twin cylinders....

Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Those Storms were a long legged beast. My uncle had one of the first 750's, it was the king of the hill in the uphill drags for a long time in the stock category. Never knew many guys with the ultra's. Its funny how some sleds were known by all. My cousin had a '98 700XC. That thing would beat darn near any stock sled and a lot of modified ones too. It was a stock sled for most of its life, but man would it run. I remember a guy on a t-cat quite amazed and a little upset when his kitty got licked by a machine some 300cc smaller. I think the only mods we ever did to that was polish the heads one fall, a slight mod that gave decent gains, but didn't show in a visual inspection. (little bit of schemeing for the uphill drags to beat out the rev's when they came along)

I'm suprised to not see a XLT in your list of sleds you've had??

You have me a little nervous of the 800, mentioning that they've had probs. I wasn't aware of that. Been away from the sledding world too long now. I know those 900's they had for a short time were pretty much garbage. Knew a guy with one of them that spent more time in the shop than on the snow. My cousin I mentioned who has the 800 rmk has had 2 of them now, no engine failure, but did blow his CDI last spring and almost had to get the sled airlifted out cause the ponds and trails were getting too soft to tow it out...

Quick Reply: sledding