302 EFI to Carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:11 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 EFI to Carb

I have my 91 150 with a 302, I need to change the heads on it.

I wish to get rid of the 1/2 ton of trashsitting on top.....(read EFI)

Would a intake manifold for a carb bolt up to the heads I am putting on from an 89 bronco?

I live in Arkansas where we have NO vehicle inspections so that is no big deal.

Thanks.
Jimmy Dean

Old 03-16-2004, 07:08 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
What makes you say EFI is trash? It's possible to swap to carb, but it is quite a bit of work. Fuel pumps have to be removed, you'll have to change distributors, intake manifolds, timing cover (unless you run a low pressure electric fuel pump), fuel lines possibly, and somehow wire it all up.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have resently done a lot of research and reading on EFI. I've learned how it works, how it is put together, what the benefits are. There is a reason everything is going to EFI. Even my new snowmobile has EFI on it instead of carbs. Carbs are not efficient but they are simple and cheap. EFI has way too many benefits to justify a swap backwards in time to a carb.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
The reason I want to take a step 'back' so-to-speak is becasue of the simplicity of the system. I belive it keeping things simple, and so you can see inside the engine bay. cant do taht with that huge hunk O junk on top the intake. :P I love having EFI in my 02, but that is because when EVERYTHING works right, EFI is great, but the second things go fould, well you realize how much more work it is going to be for me to change the heads on my 91 than it takes on my 71 stang? night and day right there

EPN
why wold I have to hcange the timing cover and fuel pumps/lines?distributor I know, or at least think I do...but why is my only quistion?

from what I cangues on the f/p s is that my research in it it seems that the fuel pumps pump the same amount of fuel regardless of RPMs? and has a return line for all unused fuel, unlike a carb which uses all the fuel sent to it? is this correct?

timing cover-- I am lost on why it would need changed

dist.-- would this be do to how the advance is set up?

Old 03-16-2004, 11:35 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
The EFI fuel system requires say 40psi...the carb is around 6, won't work and needs to be changed. Not only is this Illegal and not something you should do, but is not even worth it. Figuring out what's "wrong" with an EFI system is not difficult at all with a little research/knowledge. Your 02's EFI system is A LOT more complicated. Your 91 is pretty simple, although intimidating at first. We already have enough regulations and standards requiring us to clamp down on emissions, stay legal and keep the EFI. It would cost you a lot to swap it back to carb and your gain is..well..honestly nothing. EFI is not 1/2 as bad as you think. How often do you change heads? Changing to carb from EFI is more of a nighmare then you can imagine

Old 03-16-2004, 11:36 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The timing cover for a carb'd motor is different due to the water pump rotation direction, and it has a boss to mount a mechanical fuel pump. The EFI fuel pumps operate at 40 psi (give or take) and carburetors operate on less than 10. EFI distributor uses the TFI module, and all advance is computer controlled. Carburetted systems use mechanical and vacuum advance, so the distributors are completely different. I realize that it's more work to take the heads off (and change valve covers - my personal experience), and it might be a hassle when something goes wrong, but the computer does store diagnostic codes in it. Many times, the problem can be found with minimal troubleshooting. From what I've seen, it would probably cost about as much to convert to carburetor as it would to fix the EFI.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:46 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Yeah a carbed intake will bolt right down. You could keep your timing cover as is, either disconnect the stock efi pump and run a say, carter electronic fuel pump for carbs, or you could run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on your stock efi pump, but as previously mentioned how long or dependable can a pump be when your taking 34 psi out of it constantly? Some have done this with success though. You would need to change your distributor/ignition system to either duraspark II coil, distributor, module, or you can pick up an hei distributor for fords, for $160-179, basically a gm distributor with a ford shaft, the coil is on the distributor the module in the cap, you connect one wire to a 12v switched source and your in business. Good luck

Last edited by jwtaylor; 03-17-2004 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:49 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
My 302 died and I picked up a E.F.I. 351 to replace! In order to upgrade the computer system, injectors and everything else, it would cost just as much if not more than just going with an aftermarket E.F.I. set-up. I am going with a holley commander 950 system. Throttle Bodie Injection completely programmable, uses the T.F.I. dizzy. I put in a Wieand (holley) stealth intake, put a nice cam in ported and gasket matched and installed bigger valves on stock heads. This particular throttle bodie bolt's up anywhere a carb goes, has o2 sensor. I felt the same way about the 30+ pounds of cast aluminum on top of the motor!!! The system cost's $1,350.00 but is completely programmable for any upgrade's I want to make! Edelbrock and Holley both make a Multi Point Inj. system, but they are about $2400.00. I was thinking about going to carb, but it is a step back. My particular set-up will look just like a carb engine, but she ain't gonna run like one!!!

Good Luck
Al

Old 03-18-2004, 07:14 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Ford's sequential EFI is a bit more efficient.

Old 03-19-2004, 06:06 AM
ALSAIR
Elder User
No question about it! The Ford E.F.I. is very efficent. However because we have trucks we have the speed density system that does not like changes! For me to adapt the E.F.I. to my re-build was not worth the cost factor.
I am lucky in the fact that this is not a daily driver, and is basically my toy! I looked at the whole picture. I have adjustable roller rockers, and I did not want to yank the air plenum anytime i needed access. I plan on playing in the mud, and the fewer electrical componets i have under the hood the better.
With gas prices going up, believe me I would stick with the Ford Multi port if it was my daily driver! I personally would not go back to carb! However I am just giving him another option. Not a cheap one, but after carb ($400.00 low end) Regulator, pump, new throttle cable's, Dizzy, the cost factor goes up! That's if he does'nt have the E4OD which loosing the computer will screw everything up!

I'll Shut up now!
Al

Old 03-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Ford427Strokr
Junior User
Love my 92 EFI even though its speed density. I have lots of mods and it runs great. I wouldnt trade for a carb for nothing.

Old 03-19-2004, 11:09 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
You can mod a SD truck if your careful. Pretty much all you can do is get a little more air in it, and work on the exhaust. Sometimes you can change the intake and cam without custom chips, but it's still very limiting. Swapping to MAF is the best way to go, it's a great way to make power. Making 500hp and still have it perfectly streetable is great about the EEC-IV and MAF system, can't beat it!

Old 03-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Well I gues I am stuck then as I do have the E4OD....I do have an extra C6 out of an 89 Bronco though........ok ok ok ok ok I will stick with the EFI until I get around to building a big block for the truck THEN I go carbed,