6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 truck problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Hoffman
And when I first came to this Forum telling my story MOST called me a troll and a lier!

I think they are just that way
I stuck with you Tom, and settled the troll issue. Remember?....

Old 12-04-2011, 05:50 AM
CTPYRO180
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not claiming Ford products are junk...I also own 2 other Fords ( Explorer with 180k miles and an Edge with 52K miles..still going strong) and I still intend to use the 05-350 until I find a suitable replacement..(my warranty runs out another 30K) I believe the super dutys are a good truck..the 05 worked strong up to that 75K point and then it was downhill from there...but I just don't trust the new engine in that 2012...and was looking for someone else that might have experienced hesitation with the new 6.7..

I always have all the trucks serviced at the dealer , but was very frustrated on how much money I had to shell out to pay for something Ford knew about..

Sorry to start off on such a negative way guys....

Old 12-04-2011, 03:25 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Forgive my GM ignorance but isn't the MY2011 a different build of their duramax?
I don't understand the LMM, LML, EIEIO, etc.
The '07-'10 was a LMM and the '11 is an LML.
Sounds like a modified factory engine or do they change the initials for a HP increase?
If modified, there could always be unknown issues.
Don't shoot me, just reaching for details.

Ford has planned to keep the 6.7L in production for at least 9 years so they have a lot riding on the 6.7L.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 PM
cford716
Elder User
The reason for my comment was that you are only the second one to make a comment (that I remember) about hesitation and make the comments you did (very similar), and ironically it was in the last week and he also was going to Chevy. Personally I have not noticed any hesitation. However, any perceived hesitation may be programmed in due to the fact I would think that 400hp and 800 ft/lbs applied immediately would do nothing but fry your tires. You also cannot compare this Ford built engine to anything Navistar put out. Also to think that any manufacturer will treat things any differently is (IMHO) kidding yourself. They are all out to make money and cut from the same cloth. There are great stories and nightmares for every manufacturer. There are no guarantees, just buy the one you like and hope for the best. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:36 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Forgive my GM ignorance but isn't the MY2011 a different build of their duramax?
I don't understand the LMM, LML, EIEIO, etc.
The '07-'10 was a LMM and the '11 is an LML.
Sounds like a modified factory engine or do they change the initials for a HP increase?
If modified, there could always be unknown issues.
Don't shoot me, just reaching for details.

Ford has planned to keep the 6.7L in production for at least 9 years so they have a lot riding on the 6.7L.
The 2011 LML has 60% new parts according to GM. So from what i undestand its a new motor using the same block, pistons etc.... everything else is primarily new...

Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by lakewood
The 2011 LML has 60% new parts according to GM. So from what i undestand its a new motor using the same block, pistons etc.... everything else is primarily new...
In this case, sure Ford has this new 6.7L engine (that's now been out almost two years to consumers) and sure it was a gamble for those of us who ordered one before we could even look at one.
However, the LMM that GM owners have raved about has basically come to an end and replaced by the LML.

That's a lot of modification. At this point, the 6.7L has more miles.
Change has to occur someday and with change comes new problems while fixing old ones.
Regardless of a bit of reused hardware, LML owners are going to be looking forward to that 100,000 mile report over a large percentage of owners, same as how we feel with our 6.7L.

Last edited by kper05; 12-04-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Changed 6.7L comment from one year to two years; it's almost Feb 2012.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
The treatment the original poster got is the same as I or any one with a problem truck gets when expressing themselves here. I was told I was a troll and was lying about even owning a 6.7 and there of course were no problems with the 6.7. My dealer tried to fix Ford's problems. Ford is the responsible party for these issues. The truck did not get enough real world testing prior to release IMO! Even Ford's biggest fan on here has experienced what many on here have with this truck. Before the nasayers start up I have two other Fords as well and have owned many over the years. The issue as I see it is certain persons on here believe Ford is the only truck on the planet, its not. I sincerely wish the OP well, and for the record not everyone here jumps on a guy when his truck has problems.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cford716
The reason for my comment was that you are only the second one to make a comment (that I remember) about hesitation and make the comments you did (very similar), and ironically it was in the last week and he also was going to Chevy. Personally I have not noticed any hesitation.
I've seen at least 4 posts in the last year about a hesitation problem with a few more people adding their own experience in each new post. So yes, the hesitation on take off has been discussed quite a bit.

I don't have a 6.7 but I've been very interested in the new engine since the development stages. So far it has been pretty much as I expected. Most problems with the sensor, computer, emission control areas. I posted this around 2 years ago in this forum.

The engine it's self, I believe to be very well thought out, strong and built well. The problems are being ironed out but unfortunately the consumer has to deal with the problems also.

I am not fan of any vehicle except for the one I buy that I feel best fits my needs. So far I've only been mildly disappointed.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 AM
CTPYRO180
New User
Well..Just found out on Saturday that the 2000 Explorer with 180K miles is on its way out with transmission issues..So I will have to replace that one first..

I stumbled on this forum site doing research on the 2012 F350..I really do like that truck also but, I might have to put that purchase behind another 5 months or so...I understand that every truck manufacturer has it's issues ...My 2005 with the 6.0 just came out of the shop with a new turbo and high pressure oil pump cupling after many major engine repairs prior to that..Yes we do run that truck hard, pulling 12000 lb trailers (loaded with fireworks) so I do not need any truck failures on the highway... It's a DOT nightmare when you break down hauling explosives....

I will take a back seat and keep an eye on this forum as well as others and make a decision after taking one more test drive this coming spring..

Thank You and I appreciate all the inside info...

Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Did anyone ever find out how this turned out for gunny? I truly find it hard to believe that a problem under the hood, which caused the hood to become burnt to the point where it needed to be repainted, did not cause Ford any concern. Nor a cracked manifold. On a brand new truck.