6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 F350 6.7 lost power

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
anderschultz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F350 6.7 lost power

Currently truck is in the shop after having multiple episodes where it lost power. It has 47,000 miles on it. When pushing down gas pedal, just does not want to go. Very slow to shift through the gears and get to highway speed. Turbo was not there, and there was also a hard shift/jerking from 2nd - 3rd. Did notice the traction control sensor kick on a couple of times....which was just replaced since a hole rubbed through the wiring. (took it to Ford twice before they found the problem)
They told me today that the code generator said to look at wiring but they did not find anything (heard that before) and that the fuel is possibly contaminated with DEF. If that is the case, someone is messing with my truck! What I don't understand that if the DEF does turn out to be in the fuel tank, wouldn't we have the problem continuously and not intermittently over a month after driving thousands of miles and going through numerous tanks of fuel? We drive and average of 60 miles per day just for work, half interstate/city.

Anyone have any insight or similar issue?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not seen this one before, but interested to see what they say at the dealership. I agree that DEF in the fuel tank would not likely have created an intermittent problem. More likely your turbo was starting to fail than DEF in your fuel.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
Ask for your primary fuel filter back. After sitting out for a few hours the DEF will turn to white crystals on the filter if it's present in the fuel. Only reliable way to look for it specifically.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Please keep us updated on this.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
anderschultz
New User
Ford called this morning, no DEF contamination. Now they have to look at each injector to see if there is an internal problem.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Thanks for update.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM
2piecespecial
Senior User
Subscribed.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Same here.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by anderschultz
Currently truck is in the shop after having multiple episodes where it lost power. It has 47,000 miles on it. When pushing down gas pedal, just does not want to go. Very slow to shift through the gears and get to highway speed. Turbo was not there, and there was also a hard shift/jerking from 2nd - 3rd. Did notice the traction control sensor kick on a couple of times....which was just replaced since a hole rubbed through the wiring. (took it to Ford twice before they found the problem)
They told me today that the code generator said to look at wiring but they did not find anything (heard that before) and that the fuel is possibly contaminated with DEF. If that is the case, someone is messing with my truck! What I don't understand that if the DEF does turn out to be in the fuel tank, wouldn't we have the problem continuously and not intermittently over a month after driving thousands of miles and going through numerous tanks of fuel? We drive and average of 60 miles per day just for work, half interstate/city.

When you say turbo not there, did you not see any boost either, or is it that you just don't feel the extra power (and seeing some boost)? If you are not seeing boost then I am betting on turbo.

Now the other two commments I highlighted make me think your torque converter..... might also include the traction control light as another indication of torque converter. The torque converter locks and unlocks in that shift range if I recall correctly. If it is not locking/unlocking it will definately lug your power down (feel like turbo not there). And the traction control might be sensing (if they fixed it right!) that the wheels aren't matching speed being produced by the engine load. Who knows with all the computer modules this thing has....

Just my 1 and 1/2 cents worth of guess....

Hope they get it fixed for you and welcome to FTE!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard.

Oddly enuf, today my truck reacted the same way as you describe. I was pulling an old pickup box trailer that I use to put lawn clippings and tree trimmings in to take to the recycle place. The trailer was empty and when i went to take off it just wouldn't rev up. I was moving about 20 mph and literally had to floor it to get the truck to accelerate. Odd. I didn't look at the boost gauge. It was raining so hard the wipers couldn't keep up and it was starting to hail so I was focused on getting to shelter. Strange acting. I will check it tomorrow and see if it's back to normal. Going boondockin in a couple weeks for a couple weeks, don't need a problem now.

Mine is a 2011 Job1 June build with 37,000 miles. Yours?

Keep us posted.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 PM
KPT
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Thom12
And the traction control might be sensing (if they fixed it right!) that the wheels aren't matching speed being produced by the engine load. Who knows with all the computer modules this thing has...
I don't think the traction control is that advanced. I think wheel speed is all it takes into account. I got sideways making a left on a wet road today with traction control on. Both rear tires were spinning the same apparently.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Currently truck is in the shop after having multiple episodes where it lost power. It has 47,000 miles on it. When pushing down gas pedal, just does not want to go...
Hi anderschultz,

I'd like to look into this for you to see how I can best assist. Send a PM my way with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work on this.

Originally Posted by marchare011
...Oddly enuf, today my truck reacted the same way as you describe...
Hi marchare011,

If you continue to have this issue, I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can take a look. Let me know what you hear from them; if you need my assistance, just send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.

Crystal

Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 PM
anderschultz
New User
Took it back in today and they said that no codes were regenerated so there is not a problem. They are blaming it on the 'aftermarket' over sized tires stating the it is changing the transmission gear ratio and angle of the drive shaft. I have not had any more problems with it losing power but we still continue to have it 'jerk' when shifting from 2-3rd. We were pulling light-weight 5th wheel camper. The truck jerked so bad that I thought someone (like semi-truck) hit us. I'm not sold on the idea that the tires are to blame. And it still does not answer the code that generated for the injectors.
we went from the 275/65R18 to a 295/70R18. another explanation that they gave for our problem is since my wife and I both drive the truck that it confuses the transmission since we probably both accelerate differently. I'm not buying it. Really irritated right now.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,959 Likes on 2,187 Posts
What size tires are you running?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 PM
anderschultz
New User
we went from the 275/65R18 to a 295/70R18. another explanation that they gave for our problem is since my wife and I both drive the truck that it confuses the transmission since we probably both accelerate differently. I'm not buying it. Really irritated right now.

Quick Reply: 2011 F350 6.7 lost power