Sponsored by:

New Ex having buyer remorse

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Atc210
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool New Ex having buyer remorse

Just bought a 2002 7.3 with 175k for 18,000. Here the list i am fased with.

4x4 dont work assuming its one of the hubs not engaugeing.
Feels like ball joints need replaced
Needs tires
Rotors has some seriouse pedal shake when brakes are applied
several little issues interior: memory sets, fog lights, back up sencors, pasenger seat motor bad, on so on.
Just took delivery yesterday and am begining to wounder if its all worth it.

what do you all think?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you test drive it? Did you not notice any of these problems?
18,000 g's is way too much for that year and mileage.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Sorry to tell you, $18K would be a little more than what would have paid for it. $15K would be about right...assuming everything worked. With all the work you need to put into it, I would have had them bring it down even further.

Everything you mentioned (except the ball joints) is not really that bad. Sounds like you have a great motor and tranny. Yeah, it does cost money, but it'll be fun to DIY. Perhaps you can do it a little at a time. Once you finish, you'll have a great truck, one that a lot of people want.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Dan Reinbold
Senior User
A few of those could be just simple fixes, do some searches for individual probs, a TON of great info on here covering possible hub engagement causes, ball joint replacement, aftermarket brakes and equipment, memory seat, etc. Just take a few hours and tackle one at a time. It will be easy to overdo yourself if you try more than that.
If you just took delivery, can't you get a hold of your dealer(assuming you bought it from a dealer), and demand some help with some of that.
You have a great truck there, price may be a little high, especially with those issues. Which is why I would not hesitate to demand help from dealer. It should last you many miles though.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
18 is alittle steep, but did you know about the issues before hand? You do have a great truck after you've taken care of the small things. I'm guessing that this was a eBay truck maybe.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Texas is a hop skip and a jump from Missouri, I would have drove to get it.
Originally Posted by Atc210
I was going to but my local BMW dealer said they would pick it up if i bought it through them. They also are running it through there shop for inspection and will fix any issues before i get it. The nice thing about it is if there ends up being a major issue I am not obligated to buy. So for the piece of mind it was worth it to me. Got the deal because my neighbor buys several car a year from them.

That is why you test drive vehicles.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...t-right-3.html

Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Atc210
Senior User
No I didn’t test drive. It was shipped from Texas to me in MO. The BMW dealer just facilitated the transaction. I spoke with the dealer in Texas and they offered a check for $200 to try and make it right. Also said they would gladly buy it back for same price I paid minus the shipping cost ($850). The ex is in good shape motor and trans are good it’s just the small things other than the ball joints which may not all be bad. I can do most the repairs just not sure I want to tackle the ball joints. Will find out more once i get an alignment. If I keep it. What do you all think? I really want to keep though. Might just add this purchase to one of those life lessons.

Oh ya the 18,000 includes shipping if that helps any.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 AM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also said they would gladly buy it back for same price I paid minus the shipping cost ($850).
I think this is the route I would go. By the time you finish the repairs you mentioned

you're easily going to have $21,000 to $22,000 invested in this Excursion. And that

is way out of line!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought a 2001 with 145000 for $12000. 4X4, Limited, 7.3, etc. BUT, I thought I got lucky. I looked for months and the prices were always in the high teens to low 20's. Dont feel too bad because a 7.3 X is hard to find. As far as the issues, just work through them. www.partsguyed.com can hook you up as well as several other sponsors on this site. With that mileage, there is going to be some work involved. The ball joints are normal. I had a dealer change both upper and lowers on one of my previous Super Duties for $500. This site is very informative. I would make a list of "must" repairs and tackle them one at a time as time and money permits. On mine, I did a water pump as soon as I got it. That was immediate. Later I changed springs, new shocks, tires, etc. Now, at 151,000 miles the only thing I have left is a 4" exhaust as my muffler is rotten (what I told the wife anyway).

Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Atc210
Senior User
should I go with on of the online warrenty companys for 2,000 4yr 50,000 mile jobs and hope for the best.

What kind of shape was the body and interior in for $12,000?

Old 09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
SAR Skipper
Junior User
Sounds like a lot of normal wear items and a few maybe out of line matters that can be fixed.

Now that you have it, look at the up side of things:
1) you have the 7.3, a very desirable motor.
2) you have both a tranny and engine that are in good shape.

If you look at everything at once, it's overwhelming...and expensive!

Do some triage.
Decide what is most important and tackle those parts first.

Obviouisly, safety and reliability should take precedence.

After that, decide what is most important to you personally, break them down into smaller pieces, take 1 or 2 at a time as you can afford them, and repair them yourself.
As someone else here said, when you're done, you will have a dependable truck, more knowledge about your truck, and one that others will drool over.
Remember, that 7.3 seems to be the hot ticket.

If you can't bring yourself to do that, then I'd do what el sheriffe said, and ship it back to them.
You'll lose $850 but get the rest of your $$ back to go shopping....again.....

Old 09-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 287 Likes on 147 Posts
If you were on the boards and PM'd me, I would've gladly checked the truck out for you before your purchase. But since things didn't turn our that way, I'll give you a shove in the right direction...

-4x4 easy fix, but time consuming fix: make sure your vacuum lines going to the hubs aren't dry rotted, have hole in them, and are connected. There's also a writeup on how to rebuild and lube the hubs, so when you need them, they work. Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

-Ball Joints: time consuming (set aside an entire weekend for this) but very doable: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ll-joints.html These will run you around $250 before tax, but if you get them from Advance Auto parts, they sometimes send out a 20% off coupon and have a lifetime warranty; so you'll never have to pay that $250 again.

-Tires: look at this as an opportunity more than a disappointment. Yes, you'll have to spend money to get some tires, but you get what you want. Be it the BFG All-Terrains, Michelin LTX M/S, Goodyear Silent Armor, or whatever you choose, you know they're good tires and they're going to last. Most dealers slap cheap tires without the correct load range rating and you end up getting screwed. See this as an opportunity to do it right the first time.

-Rotors: sounds like they're warped to all hell. This would be a good time to do the brakes as well. I'd the rotors and brakes from O'reilly auto if you have one near by as they offer a lifetime warranty on both. I'm currently running O'reilly brakes and rotors (and have been since '04, rotors 09/09) with great stopping power and no issues. $315 (plus tax) will get you two front rotors, brakes all around, and a lifetime warranty.

-As for the interior issues: I'd start with fuses and work my way back from there.

What you have to realize is that these are truly awesome and one of a kind trucks. You'll soon find yourself wondering how you ever did without it. As you spend time (and money) working on your truck, you'll appreciate it more and feel better about it in the long run.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
freesoul
Senior User
Just bought a 2002 7.3 with 175k for 18,000. Here the list i am fased with.

4x4 dont work assuming its one of the hubs not engaugeing.
Feels like ball joints need replaced
Needs tires
Rotors has some seriouse pedal shake when brakes are applied
several little issues interior: memory sets, fog lights, back up sencors, pasenger seat motor bad, on so on.
Just took delivery yesterday and am begining to wounder if its all worth it.

what do you all think?
How was the truck represented to you by the dealer? Assuming it was represented in great condition I would be in there right now and not leave until either 1) problems were corrected to my satisfaction or 2) money was refunded in full including 'delivery'. Squeeky wheel gets the grease especially if its on a Saturday afternoon

I just bought an 03 Eddie Bauer with 138K for $17,300 in great condition originally a Texas truck. Of course I test drove it and looked hard at it first, got Oasis and Carfax. I had been looking all over the country and most stealers (errr sorry dealers) didn't even want to bother with sending me good photos.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Atc210
Senior User
Well here is the VIN#1FMSU43F52ED22641 I am still interested in the report.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I have been looking for 3 months now and have only found a few of the 7.3 ex. After reading your responses I am going to bit the bullet and keep it. They are just so hard to find and the interior is in good shape. I will try and post some pics. Or even the link to it off ebay which has several pics. You all will be getting a lot of ok what now’s from me as I work through this. <o></o>
<o></o>
I ordered cryo rotors and hawk pads already. Found a good deal on some 285-75-16 Bridgestone revos. And a free lifetime alignment out of the deal. So hopefully the ride will improve dramatically after the tires, brakes, rotors and alignment.<o></o>
<o></o>
Will 285-75-16 tires fit under it without rubbing?

Thank you all for your posts, the info is much appriciated. I'll take all the info I can get. I think I am going to work on the hubs a liitle while waiting for the rotors and breaks.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 287 Likes on 147 Posts
285s fit nicely....no rubbing.

Quick Reply: New Ex having buyer remorse