2000 f450 powerstroke, problems: white smoke and no power

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM
1994crewf350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 f450 powerstroke, problems: white smoke and no power

2000 f450 powerstroke diesel

Truck starts and will idle, but blows white smoke and has no power (2-3 mph max). Last oil change there was a lot diesel in the oil (it was hard to start over winter) and a black slick under the truck (leaks from exhaust?). The CPS recall was not done.

Could it be: Turbo, injectors, injector cups, CPS, all of the above? Any other possible problems?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did it just happen all of a sudden? or has it been getting worse? like starting with a mpg drop and loss of power and gotten to this? How long ago was the last oil change you mentioned? Any dash lights on? How many miles on the motor? Any work done recently? Can you check your fuel pressure? and how much white smoke and how smooth is the idle? and do you have any oil coming out the exhaust? are you leaking so much diesel into the oil that the oil level on the dipstick rises a good amount after you have run it for awhile?

If you could answer those it will help out in starting to narrow things down a little. But from what you have said so far, assuming this has been a progressive problem and that it is a mechanical issue I would say:
-No to the turbo, oil smoke would be more blue, and I've seen turbo's leaking oil very bad and have alot of play, and they still go alot more the 2-3mph.
-Possibly injectors, but if it is that much white smoke, and that low of power, the chances of all the injectors going bad like that is minimal, and you are looking for something that they all have in common(i.e. fuel pressure, hpop pressure etc.), although it could be several injector o-rings leaking enough oil and fuel down into several cylinders to make that much white smoke, which is where you could get fuel in the oil, and if they are leaking bad enough it will drop fuel pressure enough to where its dribbling fuel in the other cylinders and you get no power.

-It's a possibility on the injector cups, but its not that common, and it would take several of them to fail to get it to only run 2-3mph.

-I'd say No on the CPS, they pretty much either work good, or don't work at all, and if that was the problem, it wouldn't start up and idle.

I hope this helps, or helps get others on the right track, hopefully it is an easy fix and you get up and going soon.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 AM
1994crewf350
New User
While driving (normal operation) the truck start billowing out white smoke, this smoke increase until the truck died on the highway and would not start again. The truck sat for over 1 year because I had no cash to fix it.

I could not get the truck to start again until I replaced the batteries, starter, and put some diesel 911 in the gas. I also changed the oil recently and found about 2 gallons of diesel (I believe it's diesel because coolant levels are normal).

No dash lights are on, the truck has 201000 miles, I haven't (don't know how) to check the fuel pressure, I think there is oil coming from the exhaust (I will check next time I run it). The idle is smooth. I will check the oil level before and after I run it next time. No work done recently.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 AM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
that much fuel in the crankcase... injectors? someone smarter than me will chime in.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:18 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like injector O rings that failed.
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/me...de=F731-OEM-FS

Old 07-03-2010, 05:52 PM
peterF450
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kbeefy
that much fuel in the crankcase... injectors? someone smarter than me will chime in.
Over a gallon, but I've been working on this truck (on and off) for over a year. I only got it started about 2 months ago (one new battery, starter and diesel 911).

It's still hard to start, like there is a short. I took off the intake and checked the turbo; there was no play and only a little oil in the housing. The turbo spun while I ran the truck. Still a ton of white smoke coming out. The turbo's fins are black, does that mean something (200,000+ miles on the truck)?

Would an injector problem zap the trucks power?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:29 AM
1994crewf350
New User
Originally Posted by Ziggy.
Did it just happen all of a sudden? or has it been getting worse? like starting with a mpg drop and loss of power and gotten to this? How long ago was the last oil change you mentioned? Any dash lights on? How many miles on the motor? Any work done recently? Can you check your fuel pressure? and how much white smoke and how smooth is the idle? and do you have any oil coming out the exhaust? are you leaking so much diesel into the oil that the oil level on the dipstick rises a good amount after you have run it for awhile?

If you could answer those it will help out in starting to narrow things down a little. But from what you have said so far, assuming this has been a progressive problem and that it is a mechanical issue I would say:
-No to the turbo, oil smoke would be more blue, and I've seen turbo's leaking oil very bad and have alot of play, and they still go alot more the 2-3mph.
-Possibly injectors, but if it is that much white smoke, and that low of power, the chances of all the injectors going bad like that is minimal, and you are looking for something that they all have in common(i.e. fuel pressure, hpop pressure etc.), although it could be several injector o-rings leaking enough oil and fuel down into several cylinders to make that much white smoke, which is where you could get fuel in the oil, and if they are leaking bad enough it will drop fuel pressure enough to where its dribbling fuel in the other cylinders and you get no power.

-It's a possibility on the injector cups, but its not that common, and it would take several of them to fail to get it to only run 2-3mph.

-I'd say No on the CPS, they pretty much either work good, or don't work at all, and if that was the problem, it wouldn't start up and idle.

I hope this helps, or helps get others on the right track, hopefully it is an easy fix and you get up and going soon.
The smoke did get worse slowly until the truck left me on the side of the road. The crazy thing is that it would not start after that, but I've been working on it and now it will idle. It bellows out a lot of white smoke and has no power, I going to try and pull the valve covers and look around (loose wires, etc).

Does anyone know a good independent diesel shop in Northern Virginia?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 818 Likes on 624 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a failed o-ring on one or more of the injectors.
Medium-easy fix, you have to pull all eight injectors and replace all the injector o-rings.
Also make sure that the copper sealing washer comes out of the cup before you put the newly resealed injectors back in.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:23 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 816 Likes on 595 Posts
Sounds like a situation I had, which I may as well share here, cuz even if this is not exactly the OPs issue the resulting conversation may prove relevant and useful to him.

I had a sudden plume of white smoke, and while it would start and idle, the more fuel I gave it the worse it would smoke and run. Almost no power, could barely move. My first diagnosis was UVCH so I did the 50 cent mod (1000 thanks to this forum, btw, could not have done it otherwise) then got bit hard by the Mod Bug and did almost all the stuff in my sig before even bothering to put it together to address the main issue. In the process I found that a long curly sliver of material from the cap of the fuel filter (I used a cheap cap-on filter, not a separate cap and filter) had lodged tightly around the circumference of the fuel pressure regulator plunger thingy and the pointy tail of the sliver was jammed into the tiny orifice in said thingy. My guess is the fuel cap material was shaved off during install, and the sliver floated around the bowl a while before getting stuck. The return was blocked so all the fuel had to dump into the cylinders. The more fuel I requested, the more fuel would dump. Once the sliver was removed (and all back together) it started and ran without smoke, but the fuel pump died about 3 minutes later. Not surprising given the load it was pushing. I don't think the smoke/no power issue was due to a failing pump, but I hope y'all'll school me on that. New fuel pump and she's good as new. With all the other mods, downright righteous.

Obviously I'm a noob and no tech, but I'd suggest the OP pull off the FPR and look for obstruction. Carefully so as to not break it. This is cheap and easy to do. Get a fuel pressure reading to aid further diagnosis. And use good filters.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Rockrunner86
Senior User
Fuel in the oil would be most likely from a injector o-ring which could also cause the white smoke, to some extent. I would change the injectors o-rings (all 8 injectors) and then monitor your fuel pressure if the problem continues. Low fuel pressure can also cause the white smoke, major loss of power, and general rough running.

Again, I would first start with the injector o-rings...

Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM
1994crewf350
New User
Originally Posted by Rockrunner86
Fuel in the oil would be most likely from a injector o-ring which could also cause the white smoke, to some extent. I would change the injectors o-rings (all 8 injectors) and then monitor your fuel pressure if the problem continues. Low fuel pressure can also cause the white smoke, major loss of power, and general rough running.

Again, I would first start with the injector o-rings...
What would cause low fuel pressure? I'm going to check the fuel filter again and drain the fuel to make sure there is no blockage and the diesel is fresh.

Could something like the CPS or another sensor malfunction and open all my injectors at the same time (or cause low fuel pressure)?

Old 07-14-2010, 03:24 AM
1994crewf350
New User
I've got gray and white smoke now (instead of just white smoke).

Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 818 Likes on 624 Posts
Have you done anything to remedy the situation since you last wrote?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 AM
1994crewf350
New User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Change the oil and filter (15w-40). I also tripled check the oil level.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM
1994crewf350
New User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
No cash or time to do anything right now.

I might sell the truck as is, based on what you have read and other info about the truck [2000 f450 210,000 miles, 12' utility body in good condition other than the engine], what do you guys think it's worth?