1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheer disappointment in the 2011 Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:37 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by radzer0
I will say this about that. i LOVE my nice lil diesel logo. glad i dont have that big horseshoe looking thing at a distance on there.

I couldnt find any pictures of this online so if anybody wishes to post a picture of it for me I can snap one off my truck. Just send me a PM and ill get it to you.
First post here. We were making fun of it a while back when somebody snapped a shot at an auto show. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...rd-grille.html

Old 06-02-2010, 04:48 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
I am confused why people believe the Superduty needs a clean sheet redesign.

1. It is the most capable truck.
2. It has shown to be the most reliable truck.
3. I think its the best looking truck.

What is to be gained from a clean sheet redesign, apart from the possibility of completely messing things up?

I with you on this. Almost every auto that has achieved a good reilablity rating has done through so small incremental improvments over many years. Keep taking small steps forward.

Besides this 6.7 is almost a clean slate job.

A new design may look good, but will introduce so many new problems IMO.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Agreed - but Ford (to me), addressed the biggest concerns with the vehicle with the 2011 (diesel engine, wider gearing, available locker).
The only disappointment (again personal) is the lack of a manual transmission option.
A full boxed chassis would be nice, as would the steering from the F-450 being standard across the range, and I think adding options for rear airbags for the suspension as well as an under seat refrigerator in the crew cab... but honestly I am nit-picking.
Are there specific areas people feel the truck is lacking?

All the ones mentioned by the OP seemed to be of personal taste, or because he sat in a truck that was optioned a way that he wouldn't order.
Actually yes. The cost. I would like to see a truck built more around farm truck. I refuse to pay almost $8k more for a diesel engine on a $30k truck. Name one other auto where people can check a box and add 25% of there MSRP for just an engine.

On another note, I'm not seeing why everyone is so up about the manual. Even the stripped farm trucks I used ot use were autos, it was basically the only option they had. Ever back a hay wagon into a barn with a manual?

But honestly, these things are going for $50k, how many people are actually going to pay $50k for a manual? We get people complaining about how the truck is not luxurious enough for the money they are paying and then complain about not having a manual. I completely understand that the truck market has moved to far upscale to jsutify devloping a manual for teh 1% that will by it. Not only that, but since the auto is now standard, it should have become more cost effecitve. So they saved 99% of buyers $100 on their $50k truck

Old 06-02-2010, 05:27 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,238 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
I with you on this. Almost every auto that has achieved a good reilablity rating has done through so small incremental improvments over many years. Keep taking small steps forward.

Besides this 6.7 is almost a clean slate job.

A new design may look good, but will introduce so many new problems IMO.
Good points.

The 6.0L and some 6.4L engines have hurt the SD's reliability ratings. But it doesn't seem to matter. Superduty sales year to date have nearly doubled the GM twins and Dodge combined.

Aside from a restyling of the truck, I can't see where a new slate is going to help either. How much more capable does the truck have to be? How much more are some folks willing to pay for the thing? Does the F-450 really have to be able to tow 24K pounds? I suppose so if that's what it takes to stay ahead of the competition. But why?

In my mind if they want to make good common sense changes then get rid of all this lubed for life crap. Give me the opportunity to grease, lube and otherwise maintain the truck like it should be so I can make it last longer between ball joint, U-joint and bearing failures. Give me a drain plug on the axles and an external transmission filter.

Make it more rust resistant.

And for Pete's sake, for the money that is being asked, give me a better standard factory warranty.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 AM
crash1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by redford
It does cut down on tailgating.
LOL ya probably.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not gonna read all of this, but I read several of the first posts. I think we all agree that the looks aren't the best. But none of us can argue with the performance of the truck... the power that thing is cranking out is what most of us 7.3L owners are trying to get with injectors, turbos, and tuners. The interior is alot like my dad's '08... it's not really ugly, but when compared with my dash, it looks like ALOT of plastic. Not bad, but still obvious. As my dad would say about all this, "Why do I care what it looks like? It's a new truck and it pulls better than yours!" I need to do something about that... time to find a bank and Clay!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 AM
marspec
Senior User
My complaint with the 2011s is with the marketing aspect.

Only two interiors, tan and black. Neither one is my cup of tea. I guess I'm addicted to grey or whatever else they want to call it.

No 6 disc CD player. I don't own a MP3 and don't care to spend the extra $ for the nav system to load my own CDs in memory.

Can't get the 450 in a 4x2.

In order to get memory seats and mirrors and heated seats I have to get a package that includes the remote start and rear view camera.

They have "degraded" the 450. A 350 WITH THE 13K option can carry the same payload, as the 450. The 450 can tow more but is it worth approx $4K more for tlhe reduced turning radius and larger brakes? The MSRP price difference between my 08 and a 2011 similiar equipped 450 is approx 6K. Don't think I'll be buying a 2011.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
At the end of the day remember you were still sitting in a pickup truck, NOT a luxury SUV. Unlike many luxury cars where most of your money is going into interior fit and finish, quiet ride, and a killer sound system these trucks are built with a heavy bias towards working.

For example, my truck is an '08 XLT CC 4x4 PSD truck. Cloth seats, power windows, locks, CD player, and that's about it. MSRP was $46K. A 2011 is around $48K for this configuration. Can you honestly expect a world-class luxury interior for another $6K? Especially when you have to throw in the larger wheels, chrome accents, and all the other goodies that come with the Lariat trims?

It's still a pickup truck!
Lets just put this into persepctive, anything on a truck more than bench seats, vinyl floors, manual levers sticking thru the floor, and an AM radio is a luxury option. Not to say I don't like luxury options because I love them (been spoiled by heated leather seats, 6 cup holders, and ESOF).

BVut once you get into the Lariat/ King ranch editions those are the cats meow of nice stuff. The 2004 Harley Davidson Edition had a far nicer and more durable feel than my buddy's 04 cadillac. Ford has done luxury truck interiors for years, and for 2008-2010 I could actually say they were beating Chevy interiors by leaps and bounds.

This new Super Duty is just kind of an Epic Fail from a styling perspective on hte higher end models. I saw one up north this weekend that made me laugh my behind off when I saw it coming down the street. It had more shineys on it than a space ship, and kinda blinded you as it drove by. Then the guy who had it was afraid to drive it down a dirt road and idled the entire duration of the dirt road... musta been afraid to get some dust on his bling If it dont look like a truck, can't drive it like a truck, and as some one else pointed out supports the hippies green efforts... it aint a truck. Thank god the truck still has world class performance or I wouldn't know what to think anymore.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
Lets just put this into persepctive, anything on a truck more than bench seats, vinyl floors, manual levers sticking thru the floor, and an AM radio is a luxury option. Not to say I don't like luxury options because I love them (been spoiled by heated leather seats, 6 cup holders, and ESOF).

You pretty much named my truck, except mine came with an AM/FM radio.

But yes, I agree. There are 2 kinds of truck buyers out there for sure; the ones I would buy their used truck because they never used it and the others I wouldn't touch their truck because they used it.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Lol, yup. Actually, they are very friendly gears for the truck. I was surprised.
curious, what is your top speed, like 52mph LOL!!!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Actually yes. The cost. I would like to see a truck built more around farm truck. I refuse to pay almost $8k more for a diesel engine on a $30k truck. Name one other auto where people can check a box and add 25% of there MSRP for just an engine.
The price bit I can understand and empathize with.
Particularly for the diesel option, it is expensive... but it always has been.
All the emissions technology the 6.7 needs sure doesn't make it any cheaper to build.
On another note, I'm not seeing why everyone is so up about the manual. Even the stripped farm trucks I used ot use were autos, it was basically the only option they had. Ever back a hay wagon into a barn with a manual?
Its probably a topic for another thread, its fair to say it has been beaten to death already, but to answer your question, yes I have.

But honestly, these things are going for $50k, how many people are actually going to pay $50k for a manual? We get people complaining about how the truck is not luxurious enough for the money they are paying and then complain about not having a manual. I completely understand that the truck market has moved to far upscale to jsutify devloping a manual for teh 1% that will by it. Not only that, but since the auto is now standard, it should have become more cost effecitve. So they saved 99% of buyers $100 on their $50k truck
I can understand completely why Ford wouldn't develop a manual, it doesn't make commercial sense when no one is buying them.
Doesn't mean I like the outcome all the same

Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 685 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
BVut once you get into the Lariat/ King ranch editions those are the cats meow of nice stuff. The 2004 Harley Davidson Edition had a far nicer and more durable feel than my buddy's 04 cadillac. Ford has done luxury truck interiors for years, and for 2008-2010 I could actually say they were beating Chevy interiors by leaps and bounds.
So you're saying the interior of the 2011 uses lower grade parts than the 2008-2010s? Strange, I thought they were mostly the same. I sat in a 2011 Lariat once, but I didn't focus too much on the interior materials.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Crazy001
So you're saying the interior of the 2011 uses lower grade parts than the 2008-2010s? Strange, I thought they were mostly the same. I sat in a 2011 Lariat once, but I didn't focus too much on the interior materials.
Based on the 09 I test drove the actual dash itself is the same, except for the fancy computer between the gauges. But on the 09 none of the stuff that pissed me off about 11 caught my eye. The visors I remember weren't the greatest but they were at least the same color as the headliner, and it seemed to have more headroom.... and the 09 had a proper center console.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HuntsDucks70
curious, what is your top speed, like 52mph LOL!!!

Lol, actually I was wrong. Thought they were 4.56's, but according to the manual the truck has 4.30's. Not a huge difference, but nice gears all around. BTW, I actually have done 90 in the truck... once. Had to go through Atlanta a couple of months ago, and found myself running 90 to keep with the pace. The rig was running around 3K RPM, and I backed off. Seeing one more number before the truck was pegged was a little too spooky for me in an 8K truck.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by marspec
My complaint with the 2011s is with the marketing aspect.

Only two interiors, tan and black. Neither one is my cup of tea. I guess I'm addicted to grey or whatever else they want to call it.

No 6 disc CD player. I don't own a MP3 and don't care to spend the extra $ for the nav system to load my own CDs in memory.

Can't get the 450 in a 4x2.

In order to get memory seats and mirrors and heated seats I have to get a package that includes the remote start and rear view camera.

They have "degraded" the 450. A 350 WITH THE 13K option can carry the same payload, as the 450. The 450 can tow more but is it worth approx $4K more for tlhe reduced turning radius and larger brakes? The MSRP price difference between my 08 and a 2011 similiar equipped 450 is approx 6K. Don't think I'll be buying a 2011.

Reduced turning radius? Not sure about the 2011"s, but I know previous year 450's had a tighter turning radius then the F350 with a long box and crew cab.

Quick Reply: Sheer disappointment in the 2011 Super Duty