1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheer disappointment in the 2011 Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 PM
drh1175
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes for 52k A person should get exactly and I mean exactly what they want. Personally it is not that I can't afford a new truck. But there is no fing way I would put that kinda money down on a truck. In 2001 my father in law ordered a F350 exactly how he wanted with a 7.3. and paid 33k why have they gone up almost 20k in 10 years?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are miles of difference between a "loaded" 2000 F-350 & "loaded" 2010 F-350. While I have no idea what options your father in law got for $33,000, I can say that $52,000 for a 2010 F-350 could get you all of the following...none of which were available on the 2000:
  • PowerScope(TM) Trailer Tow Mirrors – Power Heated Glass / Power Telescoping / Power Fold-away / Heated Spotter Mirror
  • Reverse Vehicle Aid Sensor
  • Auxiliary audio input jack
  • Premium AM/FM Stereo/In-Dash 6-Disc CD/MP3 Player/Clock w/8 Speakers & Subwoofer
    • SYNC(R)
    • SIRIUS(R) Satellite Radio
    • Navigation System
  • Electrochromic self-dimming rearview mirror with compass
  • Dual Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
  • Stowable Bed Extender
  • Traction Control
  • Trailer Brake Controller
  • Tailgate Step
  • Power Slide Moonroof (not available with Rear Seat DVD Entertainment System)
  • Rapid-Heat Supplemental Cab Heater (req. 6.4L diesel engine)
  • Rear View Camera
  • Upfitter Switches
  • Adjustable Pedals
  • Rear Seat DVD Entertainment System (not available with Power Slide Moonroof)
  • And, then there are factory-installed options/accessories:
    • Power Code(TM) Remote Start System
    • Bug Shield
    • Bed Mat
    • Splash Guards/Mud Flaps
    • Tough Bed (Spray-in bedliner; Includes tailgate guard, black box bed tie down hooks and black bed attachment bolts)

In addition to that list, there are also the "generic" improvements.
  • More powerful motors
  • Higher payload & towing ratings
  • Larger brakes on all four wheels
  • Smoother ride
  • Tighter turning radius

For those that do not like that $50K+ price tag on the new Super Duties, there are some very easy way to bring that price "back down to earth":start dropping accessories/options.

Simply dropping the 6.4L diesel option will instantly drop the price tag $7,485 MSRP/$6,213 Invoice. That in itself drops the aforementioned $52K price tag down to $45K. Dropping from a Lariat to an XLT can put over $4,000 back in your wallet, and you can still keep some of your creature comforts.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:42 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in the early 80's i would buy a new f-350 top of the line every 2 years. i could set down with the salesmen and build that truck anyway i wanted.and for 100.00bucks more they would paint it any color in all the ford products color chart,had a gorgeous 83 that was thunderbird cordovan/with the nutmeg interior that matched my orange and white basset hound ,gadzooks that was some truck.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
I can understand completely why Ford wouldn't develop a manual, it doesn't make commercial sense when no one is buying them.
Doesn't mean I like the outcome all the same
You do realize that there is a manual setting on the autos? When you put it in the manual setting you have use a toggle button to up or down shift when needed. It's basically a clutchless manual. This type of combination has actually been used in high end sports cars, as well as some high end sports cars that just had paddle shifters period.

This isn't the same as the 3,2,1 settings on both of my trucks where you are only in that one gear.

Given that, I wouldn't completely say that the manual is indeed dead, but really going through a stage of evolution. There are only two things different between a manual that most people on here are used to and what is used in the new trucks: 1. no stick, it's now a toggle button and 2. no clutch. Still have to shift at certain RPMs(or not depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Still seems to act like a manual to me when it's in that setting.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by drh1175
Yes for 52k A person should get exactly and I mean exactly what they want. Personally it is not that I can't afford a new truck. But there is no fing way I would put that kinda money down on a truck. In 2001 my father in law ordered a F350 exactly how he wanted with a 7.3. and paid 33k why have they gone up almost 20k in 10 years?
Because prices in general double every 12 years. I looked at a 10 Chevy yesterday it was a 4X4 Diesel CC SB Sticker was $52,995.00 and it had cloth seats. I'm not ever going to by a GM product but I do want to know what the price Difference is.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
I wouldn't completely say that the manual is indeed dead, but really going through a stage of evolution. There are only two things different between a manual that most people on here are used to and what is used in the new trucks: 1. no stick, it's now a toggle button and 2. no clutch. Still have to shift at certain RPMs(or not depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Still seems to act like a manual to me when it's in that setting.
Idk about all that, unfortunately I have a auto because sticks where nowhere to be found in my price range when I bought my truck... but honestly I HATE the push button manumatics... I've driven so many vehicles with them to realize they regulate the vehicle to do something other than what I want to do.

I dont want a manual any other way than a stick popped out of the floor, attached to a man pedal. Next truck will be a manual... pulling stumps and low traction starts just arent the same with an auto

Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
Idk about all that, unfortunately I have a auto because sticks where nowhere to be found in my price range when I bought my truck... but honestly I HATE the push button manumatics... I've driven so many vehicles with them to realize they regulate the vehicle to do something other than what I want to do.
I've driven my share of them, mainly the sports cars though and I didn't get that feeling at all. Are you sure it's not more of it not having a stick and clutch to play with? Some people just don't like change(which I can understand on some things).

Next truck will be a manual... pulling stumps and low traction starts just arent the same with an auto
Never had problems pulling stumps with mine. I've pulled a lot of things out(joys of a working farm) and never had an issue and for sure never had an issue that made me long for a stick.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
I've driven my share of them, mainly the sports cars though and I didn't get that feeling at all. Are you sure it's not more of it not having a stick and clutch to play with? Some people just don't like change(which I can understand on some things).

Never had problems pulling stumps with mine. I've pulled a lot of things out(joys of a working farm) and never had an issue and for sure never had an issue that made me long for a stick.
See its mainly the whole control thing, for instance the push buttons safegaurd the engine too much, if I'm at 3 grand in one gear and want to downshift to engine brake, I dont want the vehicle waiting until it thinks its safe. If I want to do a second gear start, I dont want this 1st then second crap, I want first gear...

In the case of pulling anything, I'm not a fan of my transmission acting as it wants... sometimes I just end up ripping more ruts than anything else, ya know?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:40 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
See its mainly the whole control thing, for instance the push buttons safegaurd the engine too much, if I'm at 3 grand in one gear and want to downshift to engine brake, I dont want the vehicle waiting until it thinks its safe. If I want to do a second gear start, I dont want this 1st then second crap, I want first gear...
Now granted I haven't driven Ford's and the ones that I have weren't in the truck, but you had complete control. In fact, you could still do damage to the tranny if you didn't know when to shift. Now that doesn't mean that it's that way on the SDs, but I know it's not what your describing on the sports cars, unless I'm not reading that correctly(which unfortunately, could also be possible).

In the case of pulling anything, I'm not a fan of my transmission acting as it wants... sometimes I just end up ripping more ruts than anything else, ya know?
I've seen that happen to people, I could see where that would be a problem.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Huntingbigun
Freshman User
What is the cool part about the 8 pages of whining if you do not like it do not buy it, that is why the new 2011 SD are stacking up on on the dealer lots, no one wants one but me or maybe not

I love it the best SD that I have owned so far, now we have room for a spit cup just pop out one set of cup holders no more bowl flying across the truck

Except for the following

You can play with the info center and ram a chevy dead in the a$$ at a stop light better than texting

The truck is too quiet have to cut off the muffler, where is the great sound of 2 skeleton's making l0ve

Avg 20 mile gal that just sucks have to stop and just by beer no fuel

what about all the lockable storage under rear seat, now I can not reach all the stuff I crammed under the back seat by hitting the brakes hard

put 35 inch tall tires 13 inches wide with no lift and no rub what is the fun in that.

with all the torque and hsp no need to rush out and buy a tuner, air cleaner & new exhaust.

I cannot believe ford did this to me

Old 07-16-2010, 01:18 AM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Huntingbigun
What is the cool part about the 8 pages of whining if you do not like it do not buy it, that is why the new 2011 SD are stacking up on on the dealer lots, no one wants one but me or maybe not

I love it the best SD that I have owned so far, now we have room for a spit cup just pop out one set of cup holders no more bowl flying across the truck

Except for the following

You can play with the info center and ram a chevy dead in the a$$ at a stop light better than texting

The truck is too quiet have to cut off the muffler, where is the great sound of 2 skeleton's making l0ve

Avg 20 mile gal that just sucks have to stop and just by beer no fuel

what about all the lockable storage under rear seat, now I can not reach all the stuff I crammed under the back seat by hitting the brakes hard

put 35 inch tall tires 13 inches wide with no lift and no rub what is the fun in that.

with all the torque and hsp no need to rush out and buy a tuner, air cleaner & new exhaust.

I cannot believe ford did this to me

Obviously you are a much smaller guy than me, if you fit in the 2011 better than I do. My 04 comfortably accommodates me and a 2011 does not. I do detect a hint of sarcasm, however I still see some complaining

Also, to the best of my knowledge, and I may be wrong, the 2011 SD is the same from a frame and body standpoitn as the older models... if there's no rubbage action on a 2011 why would there be on an older model? My 33's rub but thats only because my frame is diamond after a brief front-side impact with a Kenworth... but the truck's still on the road so I can't complain

Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i have to say, i drove a 6.2 '11 with 4:30s today for the first time out on the road. all i can say is OMG! ofcourse this was just a cab/chas. but i loved...LOVED the new tranny! locking out gears and the tow haul mode was amazing. plus it flat out MOVED! i would love to be able to afford one of these babys.

i get to drive a 6.7 tomorrow and i cant wait!

overall i love these trucks and i think they are a great step forword.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
man i bet that new scorpion diesel is gonna be the best diesel around setting new standards!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 AM
drh1175
Senior User
Don't get me wrong These trucks have come a long way since 2001. But they still sure are expensive. Yes the 2011 engines and tranny are awesome! I have driven both and was impressed to say the least. The 6.7 to me had just about infinite amount of power. It just flat out Goes! The 6.2 was quite powerful. I have driven the Chev 6.0 as well and quite honestly the 6.2 puts that engine in it's place. I could justify a new 6.2. But the 6.7 which is what I would want, has a awefully high price tag.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Huntingbigun
Freshman User
Obviously you are a much smaller guy than me, if you fit in the 2011 better than I do. My 04 comfortably accommodates me and a 2011 does not. I do detect a hint of sarcasm, however I still see some complaining

Also, to the best of my knowledge, and I may be wrong, the 2011 SD is the same from a frame and body standpoitn as the older models... if there's no rubbage action on a 2011 why would there be on an older model? My 33's rub but thats only because my frame is diamond after a brief front-side impact with a Kenworth... but the truck's still on the road so I can't complain

I was born a Smart A$$ , well the seats are higher and I am only 6 '1., the real point is every new truck or car can not be perfect for everyone. I still miss my 77 F150 that I stuffed a 69 351 HO in a brand new truck but I was 21 also did not even think I own a auto, CC never even thought of and all the other goodies.

I like every truck I bought the fuel mileage on the 6.4 was a real bummer had a 85 460 supercab that got better pulling then that pos. Yet plenty people love the 6.4 so each their own

Enjoy your trucks if is the one thing that Obama cannot take from me (yet)

Quick Reply: Sheer disappointment in the 2011 Super Duty