1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheer disappointment in the 2011 Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
fordmanbrad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
But honestly, these things are going for $50k, how many people are actually going to pay $50k for a manual? We get people complaining about how the truck is not luxurious enough for the money they are paying and then complain about not having a manual.
When I spec'd my 2010, I would have gladly added many more luxury / trim options but I couldn't because of Ford's stupid restrictions on option combinations with the 6 speed stick. So I settled with the highest trim and option level I was able to order. No two tone paint, Lariat, convenience group, power fold in mirrors, etc.

That said, I love having a truck with a great interior, nicely trimmed exterior, decent ride, lots of options, combined with a 6 speed stick and manual 4x4 operating a front axle that looks like its from an army truck!

With the 2011 F250 now being automatic only, I would be seriously looking at Dodge if I were shopping for a new truck today.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 AM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmanbrad
With the 2011 F250 now being automatic only, I would be seriously looking at Dodge if I were shopping for a new truck today.
I'm sorry. I never wished to hear that out of anyone's mouth in this thread. Being surrounded by Mopar junkies that think the new hemi and 6.7L Cummins are the greatest thing since sliced bread... I wouldn;t own one of those pieces of junk if it were given to me. Thats a whole thread for a different time and place, but when evaluating those piles NONE of my beef with the ugliest SD i've ever seen is relevant compared to their problems.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordmanbrad
When I spec'd my 2010, I would have gladly added many more luxury / trim options but I couldn't because of Ford's stupid restrictions on option combinations with the 6 speed stick. So I settled with the highest trim and option level I was able to order. No two tone paint, Lariat, convenience group, power fold in mirrors, etc.

That said, I love having a truck with a great interior, nicely trimmed exterior, decent ride, lots of options, combined with a 6 speed stick and manual 4x4 operating a front axle that looks like its from an army truck!

Tis true Ford is limiting their option combinations, they have to be competitive. If you think Ford's are bad for ordering, trying ordering a Japanese vehicle. I know it had nothing to do with shipping either because the car was made in the state I was living in.

As for a Dodge, that is your choice. I won't diverge into their quality, just say I think their power trains are great, just the rest of the truck is far beyond subpar. If you like a good interior as you mentioned above, you better set and ride in (ride on a slightly rough road) a 5 year old Dodge truck before you buy a new one to see how they age.

But the biggest reason I would stay away from Dodge right now is because of the finical situation and many unknowns. Last thing I want to do is buy a truck then in 2 years they change everything up and parts become impossible to find and have to be important from France or something.

Finally, Dodge's last major updated on their truck has been less recent than GM and Ford's; I'm going to bet they will drop the manual on their next major update, which will be soon if they want to stay competitive with GM and Ford.

I'm not trying to bash Dodge or anything, they have a truck that meets the needs of some people, just as Ford and GM do. I'm just saying I would not go buying one based on one particular option (or lack of) unless it directly affected the utility of the truck.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
I'm sorry. I never wished to hear that out of anyone's mouth in this thread. Being surrounded by Mopar junkies that think the new hemi and 6.7L Cummins are the greatest thing since sliced bread... I wouldn;t own one of those pieces of junk if it were given to me. Thats a whole thread for a different time and place, but when evaluating those piles NONE of my beef with the ugliest SD i've ever seen is relevant compared to their problems.

Hahaha, I came out of a Chevy family and am familiar with your family dinner converstaions. They think the Durmax is king of everything. I do however, think the 6.7 Cummins is a great engine, just wish I could get it in a Ford.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,254 Likes on 824 Posts

But the biggest reason I would stay away from Dodge right now is because of the finical situation and many unknowns. Last thing I want to do is buy a truck then in 2 years they change everything up and parts become impossible to find and have to be important from France or something.
A very good point in deed. My co-worker bought a large Chrysler SUV two years ago. The think was junk from jump street. She traded the truck in for a new Buick and took a fricken bath on it. She had to bring piles of cash to the table to get out of it.

Didn't mean to go off topic but Chrysler isn't a good choice right for anyone.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
jimmyj9
Trailering
Hahaha, I came out of a Chevy family and am familiar with your family dinner converstaions. They think the Durmax is king of everything. I do however, think the 6.7 Cummins is a great engine, just wish I could get it in a Ford.
Wahoo!! I second that one. I spent 4 months deciding between gas or diesel. It was between a RAM 3500 diesel (because of the cummins engine, not the Ram truck), or a new Ford 6.2L gas.

If the cummins engine would have been available in the Ford, my decision time would have been reduced to a day me thinks...

Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
fordmanbrad
Senior User
As a life-long Ford truck owner, I sincerely hope that Ford Engineers/Assembly workers are successful with the new in-house diesel engine, and the 6.2 also.

That said, those who are buying the first models are mighty brave in my opinion. Mighty brave!

In the past, it seemed like it took YEARS to work the "bugs" out of new or "improved" engines. Things like 5.4 spark plugs (short threads), 5.4 spark plugs (breaking off in head), 6.0 head gaskets, EGR's, etc, etc.

Oh well, my 2010 doesn't even have 2000 miles on it, so I'm a long ways away from worrying about it!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:19 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Well guys I can sympathize, I come from a GM family as well. As I have said time and time again "Chevy by Birth, Ford by Nature..." and the Dodge's rust out before I can afford them.

The 5.9 Cummins was a great motor. A few of my friends have 6.7L cummins (they traded their lifted duramaxs for them) and spent all of 6 months driving it before they decided they want their duramax back. I can't say that I blame them for not wanting a 6.0 or 6.4 Powerstroke, but I've never seen anyone try to get rid of their truck within 6 months of buying it...

Honestly if I could buy a 2011 1 ton it'd be the chevy. It has more conservative styling, the cab actually feels roomier, and if I blow up their IFS warranty will cover it. Not to mention it's significantly cheaper. Fortunately for me I won't be buying a new truck anytime soon, and if I do it'll probably be an 08-09 gasser lol

Old 06-03-2010, 02:30 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Lol, actually I was wrong. Thought they were 4.56's, but according to the manual the truck has 4.30's. Not a huge difference, but nice gears all around. BTW, I actually have done 90 in the truck... once. Had to go through Atlanta a couple of months ago, and found myself running 90 to keep with the pace. The rig was running around 3K RPM, and I backed off. Seeing one more number before the truck was pegged was a little too spooky for me in an 8K truck.
nice! i'm sure that rig gets up and goes!!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:42 AM
fredhamilton2004
New User
I would not buy one!

Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
Hey guys, I know there are lots of yall who love the truck-- but I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who thinks this truck is a step in the wrong direction?

Here's my thoughts, just so yall know I'm not trying to convert anyone to my point of view, but I was just wondering if anyone else agrees. Here's what I dont care for, and if you agree please give me a shout out.

1. The cab feels too small: our Super Duty's have massive cabs, and that's one of the things I truly love about my SD. Today my buddy and I checked out a 2011, he's 6' 4" and with the seat all the way up his head touched the headliner. In my 04, with the seat all the way up there is room for me to put my fist between his head and the headliner... whats up with that?

Secondly, this truck was an upscale model with captains chairs and the center console. For whatever reason FoMoCo attached the center console to the dash and added 4 cup holders where I prefer to rest my foot on long drives. Now I'm not going to argue with the features because they were awesome, but between the reduced headroom and the MASSIVE console the SD interior didn't feel any roomier than a half ton Chevy. The dimensions may all be larger, but the perception of the space just isn't there, and for $54K I would expect an increase in perception to match that pricetag.

2. What in the heck is FoMoCo? There were tags all over the interior saying 'FoMoCo'? What prodigy in the marketing department came up with this? If I'm spending $54K on a brand new truck I expect 'Ford Motor Company' and not some acronym that sounds like it came from a Dr. Dre video. With advertising such as this all over the interior I have a VERY hard time taking what they have to say seriously... $54K is not some pop-culture trend. I know this is insignificant, but really, going back to perception it's a major step backwards. It's a pickup truck, not a power wheel.

3. The interior is nice, but all the detail and class they put into the dash is destroyed with random assortments of cheap materials. Take for instance the headliner. This truck was equipped with a tan cloth interior appointed with chrome and a two tone. It's impressive... until you see the cheap looking headliner and crappy sun visors. Yes the visors have a vanity, but the material they are made from looks like a cheap handbag found in a walmart childrens department. Furthermore, the headliner material looks to be a mixture of ink stained-burlap sack and construction paper. I have seen Hyaundais with more quality headliners and visors... c'mon ford my 2004 headliner looks 1 million times better... how do you improve an interior 10 fold then take a step backwards in the headliner you forced us to look at by making it closer to our head?

4. Have you actually popped the hood of a new Scorpion diesel? The engine is a powerhouse and liberating Ford owners from the grips of post-7.3L Navistar. However, when you look under that hood... omg I wanted to vomit. That power comes with a $8-10K option of more crap under that hood than I can fit into my bed. The only reason I consider this an issue is because even though the EPA is responsible for 9/10's of that engine compartment but the presentation is horrible. Presentation aside, how in the heck are you supposed to work on the darn thing? If you stand just at the right angle you can kinda see a rocker cover or something, and maybe half a turbo. It's really intimidating to look at, and that doesn't make me want to buy it any more.

5. This truely is negligable but the FX4 logos look like a mixture of a ghetto tag, paint scrapes, and MTV pop culture. Once again it's a pickup, not a power wheel.

I know these really aren't anyhting too critical, but if each of these things progress every year the Super Duty will be nothing other than a brand of pickup with nothing really distinguishing itself other than headlights bigger than my lawnmower engine, a Ford Oval thats too large to double as a belt buckle, and a subpar interior with an unservicable powertrain. For the massive sticker of $54K, I just expect so much more.

If anyone agrees please let me know i'm not alone

99-10 For life eh?
Unless you will love buying plenty of urea for that truck - I would not get that
I am a former long hual driver now driveing local in a hot rod pete. The new stuff has that california junk on it and buying urea all the time will be a inconvience since the only place I have seen it is at truck stops for the new class 8 trucks-unless you want new -do do it.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:54 AM
kx450frider617
Senior User
What I love about FORD is that the overall appearance of the truck hasn't changed since 99. Its still the same shape pretty much unlike other manufactures. I like how I see a 2011 next to my 2002 and still looks similar. It would suck for example to have a 2002 chevy or dodge where they changed to two totally different body stills through 2011. Just gives me the feeling that my truck isn't 8 years old but maybe 3 or 4.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:18 AM
frozenpoet
Freshman User
Well coming from a ranger, my bare bones 04 cc 4x4 long bed, bench seats front and rear, power nothing still makes me happier then a pig in crap. The ranger has the same basic looks from like '93 to current. They've changed the engines once, and it gets a new grill/bumper every couple years. The interior hasn't changed and they haven't even fixed the outside door handle that if you know what your doing will let you jimmy your way into the locked truck in about 10 seconds. (93-current)

All that crap on a truck is just more things to go wrong, don't give me wrong I'm a tech junkie but I buy a truck to be a truck not a limo. At almost 50k there is no way I would take it off a paved road much less go wheeling, or tow a trailer.

As far as dodge I had a 99 that dropped the tranny at under 90k miles on it...will never buy another one again.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
VintageSCUBA
Freshman User
New to Super Duty

Well, I have read most of the posts and it seems that old Howard Johnson had it right, "...you need more that 57 flavors of ice cream to keep 'em all happy." So it also seems with trucks, options and packages.

This is my 5th "truck", but it is my first Super Duty. I ordred it so I could have it my way and I luv it. F-250 SC 6.2 gasser, Lariat, (no two tone paint), FX4, 4.30 gearing, Tough Bed spray in liner, tailegate step, 8' bed, Nav system, clearence lites and block heater. I plan on running this machine at least 10 years, 120,000 - 150,000 miles. It's been in service (2) weeks, 700 miles on the clock and I have to say, great machine. I am really impressed with the 6.2 V-8, the new tranny and I love the way it looks. And the seats are the best I have ever had in a truck!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM
jbullfrog
More than just a Handyman
I have driven my new 2011 almost 100miles and love it.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:21 PM
9402fordguy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kx450frider617
What I love about FORD is that the overall appearance of the truck hasn't changed since 99. Its still the same shape pretty much unlike other manufactures. I like how I see a 2011 next to my 2002 and still looks similar. It would suck for example to have a 2002 chevy or dodge where they changed to two totally different body stills through 2011. Just gives me the feeling that my truck isn't 8 years old but maybe 3 or 4.

Personally I agree with everything you said. Ford hit a winner when they designed the Super Duty in 98 and there's no sense to throw all of that proven reliability away when all you have to do is freshen it up a little here and there and get a reliable diesel motor again.

Ford ran the previous generation F-series for a LONG time (1980-1997) by just updating it in the interior and grille areas, I don't see why they cant do the same thing with the Super Duty (as they seem to be doing)... and it's WAY ahead of that old chassis in every way

As to what I have seen on TV and Youtube with the 2011... I LOVE chrome, I think we have lost too much of the character of vehicles to paint in recent years, but H-O-L-Y.. That much chrome is almost too much... guess you gotta be careful what you wish for, you just might get it Not sure how well the new grille is gonna flow tho, it looks like a LOT of potential air-flow space has been taken up by those 2 solid bars... my primary concern would be with an over-heat issue as a direct result of losing that much airflow into the radiators.

Quick Reply: Sheer disappointment in the 2011 Super Duty