Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Thinking about a 5th wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergerson
Longer is always better... at least thats what she said..
longer, but wider too... wish I could build some slide outs on it...

Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
longer, but wider too... wish I could build some slide outs on it...

build? why not buy?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nhill2090
build? why not buy?

... It was a joke about the longer post... I guess if I could find a DR that would do that... Might be cool...

LOL

Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

I like the looks of that one, good layout.The big windows will make it feel more open and more suited for full time living.

I bought mine at big country in Bend when it was 8 years old...I was able to talk them down 5 grand right out of the gate and then got them to throw in a goose neck adapter to save me about $400. Having the hitch installed in the bed was about $400 so that was a wash.I love having my bed free as soon as I drop the trailer so it worked for me. They offered to throw in a 5th wheel type hitch but the goose neck just works better for me.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
2001 Wilderness GLX 34ft

Another one.... I like this one alot! Washer drier hook up!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Wilderness GLX 34ft

Looks like a nice trailer for a good price. You will enjoy the extra room of the 3 slide outs.

On the washer and drier side of things, you will need to have full hook ups to use them really. And I am just guessing here, but I think most trailers with them utilize a 50 amp setup. At least thats how mine is, and I think it is for the extra pull from the extra appliances. Not all parks have 50 amp setups. You can hook to 30A, but I'm not sure that it would be beneficiail to you appliances.

Appliances, especially A/c and even fridge and very delicate when it comes to under-power. If they aren't getting the amperage they need, things start burning up quickly.

Someone more knowledgeable may chime in and prove otherwise, but until then...

Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
call off your search

This could be the perfect unit for you!

I saw it in the park tonight.

It even has some sort of outdoor toilet stool/chair.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nhill2090
Appliances, especially A/c and even fridge and very delicate when it comes to under-power. If they aren't getting the amperage they need, things start burning up quickly.

Someone more knowledgeable may chime in and prove otherwise, but until then...
My unit takes a 50 amp or 30 amp input. when hooked up to a 30 amp spot you just have to use a little planning. don't run multiple stuff at the same time.

if wash/drying, don't use the microwave, that sort of thing. it's not really a big deal. when on a 30 amp circuit i can usually run the a/c, and water heater at the same time. there is a switch right next to the microwave where you can shut off the water heater before turning on the microwave. or just turn the water heater on 'gas' vs. 'electric' if you need to run all 3 at the same time.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Wilderness GLX 34ft

Thats a nice one...i like the counter space in the kitchen better than the other one... about the only thing negative i can see from those pictures is the big slide out on the door side will limit the patio area underneath the awning. unless the awning is attached to the slide out then your door wont be covered.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
2001 Wilderness GLX 34ft

That is a good one.
It has a mid entry which IMO works out good because you get a choice of which way to turn when you enter the trailer.
Day to day use makes that sort of layout handy.
Also it appears you can access everything whether the slides are in or out which is another big plus.
The TV is mounted in a decent location so you can enjoy a show or a game without getting a crick in your neck.
At 34 feet and a triple slide, it's pushing the limits of your single rear wheel drive axle and is probably over weight. Your truck will pull it just fine, but carrying the pin weight and stopping in an emergency need to be considered. Leave a LOT of following distance until you know how the trailer handles and how good the brakes are.
Also, I am a huge anti-fan of electric dump valves. Mine failed twice in two years and before the trailer was three years old.
The solinoids would just short out and blow the fuse. They are mounted up inside the protective paneling underneath the trailer and accessing them just to open them required a HUGE PITA just to get at them and manually open them with a little allen wrench. Rolling around on the concrete next to the dump valves at a rest area is not an experience that I wished to repeat.
So I got rid of them and rigged up some manual valves with some home made metal linkages that I can push/pull on to operate the valves.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Here's one that is very similar to mine in Phoenix, AZ. Color scheme is a little different and ours has a cabinet in the closet where the washer/drier goes. The bedroom is idendical in layout. That angled cabinet in the bedroom makes a ton of storage. You can even reach around behind it when you open the closet door and store your rifles/shotguns there if you want to.
You can see that there is a LOT of cupboard space, which makes extended stays a lot easier.
My wife loves our trailer.
The downside is that it is a heavy trailer (13,500 empty)

2007 Forest River Cedar Creek 36RLTS

Old 04-23-2010, 11:34 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Thats a whole lota tralier... Would be lugging around about 15k when loaded. not anywhere near my max load but its heavy!

Too much money thou, the wife would cut off my ***** and eat them!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
To live in on the road, I am tired of pissing money away at the hotels when I could be buying something.

... Anyone living on the road in these things? Whats a RV space go for a month??? Nice ones?
So I am a member of Thousand Trails and for about $500 a year I get 2 weeks in and two weeks out for 12 months. But, for you I believe they offer a year long space lease for about 3K! I have to tell you nothing beats a private RV park, they have all facilities such as club house, store, gym, pool, clean shower/bath houses, laundry facilities, etc. all included. Also you get free electric, water and sewage. can't beat it IMHO. here's a link:
https://www.1000trails.com/index.asp
I have a 26' TT and really want a 31' fifth with a slide. I have owned mine for about six years and really enjoy it. But, since I got my Super Duty I want a Fifth, so I am liking this thread a lot.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Mas360
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello guys,
I am new member here and have a question about the 5th wheeler.

How long does the rubber roof usually hold up if your camper sit out under the sun year round?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mas360
Hello guys,
I am new member here and have a question about the 5th wheeler.

How long does the rubber roof usually hold up if your camper sit out under the sun year round?
On my 04 TT its been out in the sun 7 years, washed periodically but the rubber gets chalky but with a good roof wash it cleans up good as new. They do sell roof conditioners but I never used them. Somebody will respond as if its really nessesary.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 5th wheel...