Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help, ex 7.3psd wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Now you are getting into the area of programming that I do not know the answer to.
If I had to guess I would think that if the IDM has failed it would throw a code.
But if you have a P1316 IDM code, you need to check the wiring for the injectors under the valve cover gaskets. I can tell you from personal experience ( I accidentally left one of the injectors unplugged one time ) that if it is disconnected anywhere, it will throw that code.
This is only if you are trying to diagnose a P1316.
You have to check all the wiring first before you call it a bad IDM.
It doesn't hurt to check the IDM, it is mounted inside the left front fenderwell and sometimes they succumb to water contamination.
Ok, first time when i read trouble codes it throw 1316 but after clearing codes it doesnt appear anymore, just glow plug codes.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Today i tried find something new, and it seem that i can not trust to edge evolution... Like i said it show only 3trouble codes, all glow plugs.

So i unplugged the IDM connector and start measuring injectors, WHOLE LEFT BANK was disconnected! So i looked at UVCH and the plug was over 1/4" that point where it should be, so i put it back and measuring injectors again, now all 8 shows 3ohm. But it wont start, it try little like before, but not enough...

So i order new IDM, could the bad connection of UVCH make IDM failure?

I was just thinking that if the right bank works in IDM box but not left bank, maybe caused by bad connection of left bank wiring connector?

Lets see when the new(used, checked) IDM box has come. IDM connector looks good and there is something white grease, and all 8 injector shows exactly 3ohms. Now i had just 2dtc

-Need more driving
-Glow plug 6 wont work, maybe it is really glow plug issue and not the wiring issue.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 832 Likes on 634 Posts
Bad glow plugs will not allow the engine to start if the weather is cold.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Aki_A
I just remember that the SES light is on, when i turn key on and also while starting, which issues could cause SES light? i still get just 2,4,6 glow plug trouble codes, no anything else... if there where some pcm or some else bigger issue would it throw some trouble code?

I hope of course that the issue go away after IPR and ICP is changed but can not know until those parts comes...

these i have checked:

-no smoke
-hpop reservois was full even after long start.
-CPS is new grey one, nothing change compared the old one (black, original stock?) tach moves +100rpm while starting
-Clean ICP and IPR connectors, icp has oil over it.. waiting for new. Also tried start when ICP is unplugged -> no change..
-Fuel pump is working
-Fuel filter is new
-Engine oil look good same color in the engine oil pan and hpop reservoir
-batteries cranks engine well

and again, thank you all in advance!
Here is some update

-no smoke
-hpop reservois was full even after long start.
-CPS is new grey one, nothing change compared the old one (black, original stock?) tach moves +100rpm while starting
-Clean ICP and IPR connectors, icp has oil over it.. waiting for new. Also tried start when ICP is unplugged -> no change..
-Fuel pump is working
-Fuel filter is new
-Engine oil look good same color in the engine oil pan and hpop reservoir
-batteries cranks engine well voltage over 10.6V while starting
-IDM box is changed, no change.. also i check that box get same voltage than the battety voltage is, and all injectors shows same 2.9-3ohm resistance.
-I check the hpop pressure whit 40bar pressure meter, pressure increase fast to 40bar and after couple second pressure hose what goes to oil pressure meter, blow! so I'm sure that there is enough oil pressure...

Any ideas what i should look next?

Is the "autoenginuity" with ford license, best scanner to trouble searching?

Any other scanner, what can read information of all sensor what powerstroke have?
Does the DPtuner show example: ICP,IPR, and fuel pressure etc information?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Some update

I have now the auto enginuity scanner, and one thing looks weird, Fuel pulse width shows 0ms?? but the engine runs rough and lots of white smoke? (doesnt use coolant) tach works, so can it be that new black cps is bad? and injection timing is something else than normal... because fuel pulse width is 0ms? so is isnt sync...??

Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 AM
nookiemonster55
Senior User
bump

I hate it when a good thread just ends....

Old 06-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nookiemonster55
I hate it when a good thread just ends....
Some update! this is my "forever project" car now, so i work it when i got time... i have learn lot of these things while searchin countless hours of different kind of engine issues of this and couple another forum... And i almost started hate to read issues, what is have been easy to solve, after trying almost everything with this EX

Since last time i have done:

-Totally engine rebuilt, with 0.04" overbore(little dusted engine) but it could not be the main problem.
-Tested all 8 injectors in the heui injector bench
-New IDM
-Checked ipr
-Tested hpop pressure also without hoses in the heads, same reading=hpop+ipr+icp is fine and no leaks in heads/injectors, and hpop reservoir also stays full ~1/4" of top
-Fuel pressure seems to be fine
-Glow plugs works, i have even test with "break out" wire that there is really enough voltage in glow plug
-No codes, everything looks just normal with AE.
-I have tested with pressure air that valves etc. seems hold pressure fine and compression should be fine after new bore+pistons+rings...

I thing that it could be anything else except timing is off somehow, too earlier or just wont work right??? so i order new PCM with latest update so if that wont help is seems to be difficult problem lots of white smoke and wont start. fuel pulse width...engine rpm..duty cycle...icp etc. everything seems to be normal...

Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 832 Likes on 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Aki_A
Some update! this is my "forever project" car now, so i work it when i got time... i have learn lot of these things while searchin countless hours of different kind of engine issues of this and couple another forum... And i almost started hate to read issues, what is have been easy to solve, after trying almost everything with this EX

Since last time i have done:

-Totally engine rebuilt, with 0.04" overbore(little dusted engine) but it could not be the main problem.
-Tested all 8 injectors in the heui injector bench
-New IDM
-Checked ipr
-Tested hpop pressure also without hoses in the heads, same reading=hpop+ipr+icp is fine and no leaks in heads/injectors, and hpop reservoir also stays full ~1/4" of top
-Fuel pressure seems to be fine
-Glow plugs works, i have even test with "break out" wire that there is really enough voltage in glow plug
-No codes, everything looks just normal with AE.
-I have tested with pressure air that valves etc. seems hold pressure fine and compression should be fine after new bore+pistons+rings...

I thing that it could be anything else except timing is off somehow, too earlier or just wont work right??? so i order new PCM with latest update so if that wont help is seems to be difficult problem
lots of white smoke and wont start.
fuel pulse width...engine rpm..duty cycle...icp etc. everything seems to be normal...
Are you POSITIVE the glow plugs are working? The white smoke indicates you are getting fuel.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Are you POSITIVE the glow plugs are working? The white smoke indicates you are getting fuel.
Yes they work, and also before engine rebuilt when it run last time, it run very rough and lots of white smoke and it wont go better even after running 15..30min and when the engine is in normal operation temperature, so no, glow plugs isnt issue. Voltage drop tells also that they are eating power... I have also measured voltage near of glow plug and measured ohms of those and looked also with AE

It looks like its getting fuel but not with the right timing... just like before engine rebuilt.

Any other good quessing? Except PCM