Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help, ex 7.3psd wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Does the wait to start light come on and then go off after a few seconds when the key is turned on?
Yes it works now here is about 5..10celcius warm. Just feels like engine just not get fuel of some reason... some electric issue or high pressure oilpump etc... cannot know yet..

I hope before cps change that it throw some interesting trouble code after change and clearing codes, but no, just couple glow plug issue...

I most research tomorrow more about car, maybe its not big issue but finding that is the biggest work.. because trouble codes doesnt tell anything serious

Old 04-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 846 Likes on 643 Posts
Can you get Auto Enginuity over there?
Being able to data log would be very helpful in pointing toward the failed part.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by scootyg69
remove the cap on the hi pressure oil pump and see if there is oil in there, if there is no oil then your pump could be bad or the little plug at the bottom could have fallen out and it drains out. My would just stall and restart but was getting worse, new pump and IPR valve she was back in business. Good luck.
Some updates

Today i check the hpop reservoir cap and it was full, less than 1/2" of top. And i also disconnect injection pressure sensor plug and it was all way oil. I clean both connectors and put it back, but wont start, also tried start while plug was disconnected but wont start. Also clean IPR connector, it was clean, and no any signs about leaking HPOP.

And i also connected edge evolution to stream data and here is it what it throw: just thinking, does the "line pressure" (5psi) mean hpop pressure what goes to injectors or tranny line/master pressure?

Maybe i try next order new injection pressure sensor and IPR

Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Couple more ???'s When you were trying to start with the ICP disconnected, did the truck sound different than when it was connected? Like was it doing "more" than when connected? Is there any smoke coming from the tailpipe? Have you had it plugged in the whole time?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 AM
scootyg69
Junior User
Did you say the IPR connector was full of oil or did you remove the whole IPR?, If you is leaking into the connector it would be bad. Only 5 psi is low for the HPOP. I think you are on to something with those 2 symptoms, good luck. Scott

Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
What else can the edge read? I think the line pressure it's reading is transmission line. Look for ICP psi and watch it while cranking.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CPUNeck
Couple more ???'s When you were trying to start with the ICP disconnected, did the truck sound different than when it was connected? Like was it doing "more" than when connected? Is there any smoke coming from the tailpipe? Have you had it plugged in the whole time?
Sounds just same, like when Injection pressure sensor was connected, no smoke..

Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F350-6
What else can the edge read? I think the line pressure it's reading is transmission line. Look for ICP psi and watch it while cranking.
So it has been that the "line pressure" reading is of tranny... must get checked the high pressure oil line pressure... but if there is any issue, could IPR valve go so bad, that it doesnt get pressure up at all?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Aki_A
So it has been that the "line pressure" reading is of tranny... must get checked the high pressure oil line pressure... but if there is any issue, could IPR valve go so bad, that it doesnt get pressure up at all?
Yes the IPR can go bad, but with that pressure sensor full of oil, I would suspect and replace that one first.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Yes the IPR can go bad, but with that pressure sensor full of oil, I would suspect and replace that one first.
Ok, i think i order both of those parts.. it takes about week to get those here :/

Old 04-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Aki_A
Freshman User
I just remember that the SES light is on, when i turn key on and also while starting, which issues could cause SES light? i still get just 2,4,6 glow plug trouble codes, no anything else... if there where some pcm or some else bigger issue would it throw some trouble code?

I hope of course that the issue go away after IPR and ICP is changed but can not know until those parts comes...

these i have checked:

-no smoke
-hpop reservois was full even after long start.
-CPS is new grey one, nothing change compared the old one (black, original stock?) tach moves +100rpm while starting
-Clean ICP and IPR connectors, icp has oil over it.. waiting for new. Also tried start when ICP is unplugged -> no change..
-Fuel pump is working
-Fuel filter is new
-Engine oil look good same color in the engine oil pan and hpop reservoir
-batteries cranks engine well

and again, thank you all in advance!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I just remember that the SES light is on, when i turn key on and also while starting, which issues could cause SES light? i still get just 2,4,6 glow plug trouble codes, no anything else... if there where some pcm or some else bigger issue would it throw some trouble code?

I hope of course that the issue go away after IPR and ICP is changed but can not know until those parts comes...

these i have checked:

-no smoke
-hpop reservois was full even after long start.
-CPS is new grey one, nothing change compared the old one (black, original stock?) tach moves +100rpm while starting
-Clean ICP and IPR connectors, icp has oil over it.. waiting for new. Also tried start when ICP is unplugged -> no change..
-Fuel pump is working
-Fuel filter is new
-Engine oil look good same color in the engine oil pan and hpop reservoir
-batteries cranks engine well

and again, thank you all in advance!
It is normal operation for the SES light to be on during startup.
It is the designer's way of letting you know that the system, bulb, etc is working normally. It is designed to come on for a few seconds, then go out right after the engine gets started and is idling.
Going now to review this thread to see if some detail has been missed.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Once you have that new ICP sensor installed, does that Edge scan for HPOP pressure?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Once you have that new ICP sensor installed, does that Edge scan for HPOP pressure?
No egde can not do that, but i just ordered mechanical gauge kit so when that comes i can check that, if the hpop pressure increase to ~500psi while starting, that tells lot, if the pressure is ok and still wont start would the IDM/PCM go bad without throwing any trouble codes?

Do i remember wrong or did i read somewhere, that if the cps is bad HPOP/IPR doesnt let create the 500psi to injectors? some safe think?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
No egde can not do that, but i just ordered mechanical gauge kit so when that comes i can check that, if the hpop pressure increase to ~500psi while starting, that tells lot, if the pressure is ok and still wont start would the IDM/PCM go bad without throwing any trouble codes?

Do i remember wrong or did i read somewhere, that if the cps is bad HPOP/IPR doesnt let create the 500psi to injectors? some safe think?
Now you are getting into the area of programming that I do not know the answer to.
If I had to guess I would think that if the IDM has failed it would throw a code.
But if you have a P1316 IDM code, you need to check the wiring for the injectors under the valve cover gaskets. I can tell you from personal experience ( I accidentally left one of the injectors unplugged one time ) that if it is disconnected anywhere, it will throw that code.
This is only if you are trying to diagnose a P1316.
You have to check all the wiring first before you call it a bad IDM.
It doesn't hurt to check the IDM, it is mounted inside the left front fenderwell and sometimes they succumb to water contamination.

Quick Reply: Need help, ex 7.3psd wont start?