Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help, ex 7.3psd wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help, ex 7.3psd wont start?

Hi!

I bought 2001 Ford Excursion with 7.3 powerstroke, previous owner said that first time car shut down while engine was running in park, and it started after that and engine running ~20s and shut down.

He change the fuel filter and engine start and shut down after ~10second...

And now it wont start at all, it just little promise to get started but very little...

Fuel pump is ok, i check that and even put external power to it while starting that it was definitely pump fuel while starting...

I read the trouble codes and which of these could cause that engine wont start?

-P1119 Manifold air temperatu sensor high input
-P1000- need more driving..
-P1670 EF feedback signal not detected
-P0232 Fuel pump secondary circuit high
-P0603 PCM processor keep alive memory (KAM) error
-P1316 Inject. circuit and/or IDM codes detected
-P0344 Cam position sensor (CMP) circuit intermittend error
-P0340 Cam position sensor (CMP) circuit malfunction
-P1210 Inject. control pressure above expected leve

some of this code could be very old, i dont know if previous owner have ever clear those, but which of those codes could caused starting problem?

previous owner said, that when engine starts, it starts easy and run normal, but when it doesnt start..it really doesnt start...

Thanks for help! and Greeting from Finland!

-New excursion owner.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 293 Likes on 152 Posts
Start with the camshaft position sensor becuase that would explain your sudden stalling. Not sure how much it is in Finland, but it's a great place to start.

After you replace that sensor, I would clear the codes and see which ones re-appear...

Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Looks like you have a few problems going on at the same time.

Does your rig have a custom tune on it? Is there a chip on the PCM?

The P1316 code is probably due to your under valve cover harness coming loose. Click on this link for more information Diesel Technician Society

It can also be chaffed wires, but I'm betting you just need a set of retaining clips.

A lot of guys, instead of buying the clips, will grind down a quarter (a coin worth .25 cents over here) and use that as a shim. Go over to the 7.3L forum and you'll find a few threads over there regarding the quarter mod.

The cam position sensor problem is also well known. A lot of us guys with 7.3's will keep an extra one in our glove box just in case it goes out while we're on the road.

When you try and start your rig, does the tach move at all? If the tach doesn't move, it's a tell-tale sign the CPS is bad.

I'll send a PM to Toreador (the moderator for this forum) and ask him to move this to the 7.3L PSD forum where you'll get more responses to help you with your problems.

Stewart

Edit: Looks like Tor already responded while I was typing.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Aki_A
Freshman User
ok, thanks ford advice cam position sensor is ordered now of rockauto so lets see if that would help, when it comes.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Bump for the move to the 7.3L forum.

Stewart

Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

I also agree with the cps.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:22 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Aki_A
ok, thanks ford advice cam position sensor is ordered now of rockauto so lets see if that would help, when it comes.
Nothing against Rock Auto, but we've seen lots of problems with the CPS from any of the aftermarket sources. You're really better off ordering one from Ford or International. If pricing from Ford is an issue there, we have several Ford sponsors you can order from here.

Welcome to FTE

Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Looks like you have a few problems going on at the same time.

Does your rig have a custom tune on it? Is there a chip on the PCM?

The P1316 code is probably due to your under valve cover harness coming loose. Click on this link for more information Diesel Technician Society

It can also be chaffed wires, but I'm betting you just need a set of retaining clips.

A lot of guys, instead of buying the clips, will grind down a quarter (a coin worth .25 cents over here) and use that as a shim. Go over to the 7.3L forum and you'll find a few threads over there regarding the quarter mod.

The cam position sensor problem is also well known. A lot of us guys with 7.3's will keep an extra one in our glove box just in case it goes out while we're on the road.

When you try and start your rig, does the tach move at all? If the tach doesn't move, it's a tell-tale sign the CPS is bad.

I'll send a PM to Toreador (the moderator for this forum) and ask him to move this to the 7.3L PSD forum where you'll get more responses to help you with your problems.

Stewart

Edit: Looks like Tor already responded while I was typing.
I change the CPS sensor, but same issue, not start. Then i clear trouble codes and after that, when i check those codes, it shows only 4

-need more driving, of course..
-2 glow plug fail..issue something.. i dont remember
-4 glow plug fail..issue something.. i dont remember
-6 glow plug fail..issue something.. i dont remember

What would be next step? if it would have some pcm..or injection or some fuse or relay etc problem, would it throw some trouble code until it starts? because it cranks ok but wont start...

the CPS part was grey "standard" type, and tach meter moves when it cranks, so it works?

thanks you all in advance!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Anytime a whole bank of glow plugs fails is because the GPCM or Glow Plug Control Module Failed...

It's a silver box with green and black connectors going to it, they're found relatively cheap on ebay...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:45 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can plug in the block heater for a few hours and it should start if the gpcm is your only problem. Also, make sure oil is full and not overdue for an oil change.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Aki_A
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Anytime a whole bank of glow plugs fails is because the GPCM or Glow Plug Control Module Failed...

It's a silver box with green and black connectors going to it, they're found relatively cheap on ebay...
Ok, but that wont cause that the truck dies shuddenly while running?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No but you replaced the cps that may of been a problem. Now it just won't start right? I wouldn't trust what someone told you about the truck unless you knew and trusted them in the first place.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Does the wait to start light come on and then go off after a few seconds when the key is turned on?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
scootyg69
Junior User
remove the cap on the hi pressure oil pump and see if there is oil in there, if there is no oil then your pump could be bad or the little plug at the bottom could have fallen out and it drains out. My would just stall and restart but was getting worse, new pump and IPR valve she was back in business. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
It doesn't, but makes cold starts real hard, especially if it's freezing.

I'd be willing to bet that the UVCH is loose if not completely seperated...or worse yet, your HPOP is dead as scootyg69 put it.

When mine started going south, it would take longer and longer to start and my fuel economy started dropping.

I worked on an '03 6.0 and while on the freeway with a boat in-tow, the truck progessively lost power, suddenly died, and would not restart. After painstaking diagnostics, and replacing related sensors, all fingers point to the HPOP. A shop is taking a look at it as we've run out of time and patience, should have the verdict some time this week.

Quick Reply: Need help, ex 7.3psd wont start?