General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anyone else carry concealed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Anyone else carry concealed?

Anyone else carry a concealed weapon and find that the otherwise very comfy seats don't fit a pistol on/in the waistband? I normally carry my XD40 sub compact in a holster on my hip (custom holster, leather, FBI cant). It just isn't comfortable at all with the new seats. The holster alone is bearable, so I have been driving with my weapon in the console (flow through FX4) or in the door cubby, but I was hoping for something a little better... Anyone come up with a cool/functional way to attach maybe another holster of some type to the front/underneath the seat or another place within reach of the driver's seat? I want something out of view but easily accessible.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
This would be better in the General forum, but to answer your question.

1. Carry = On your person
2. Conceal = Not visible

Failing 1 & 2 is a felony here in Ohio, so stuffing a loaded weapon anywhere in a motor vehicle is not a good idea. I use the Fobus Paddle for a sub compact 9mm with not many problems, when you get used to it.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
I am not worried about legality issues... I'm covered. I am posting here because I don't have a problem in any of my other vehicles using my paddle. I was hoping someone with a similar cab could give me some suggestions.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 PM
rc6869
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem with my glock 30 and Don Hume IWB holster. I carry it in the door pocket. My gun is black and the door is black so you cant see the gun from the outside, the tinted windows help. Even when someone gets in the truck on the drivers side they dont see it, it is not the most convenient but it is more so than putting it in the center console. I am looking at makeing a bracket to put under the front seat. I have a ccp and it is inconvenient to have to take the gun off my person just to drive somewhere then put it back on when I get out of the truck.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Fordhauler450
New User
Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
Anyone else carry a concealed weapon and find that the otherwise very comfy seats don't fit a pistol on/in the waistband? I normally carry my XD40 sub compact in a holster on my hip (custom holster, leather, FBI cant). It just isn't comfortable at all with the new seats. The holster alone is bearable, so I have been driving with my weapon in the console (flow through FX4) or in the door cubby, but I was hoping for something a little better... Anyone come up with a cool/functional way to attach maybe another holster of some type to the front/underneath the seat or another place within reach of the driver's seat? I want something out of view but easily accessible.

Right front jean pocket works well for me lol!!!!never leave home without it period!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 PM
valdor
Senior User
When driving i carry my 1911 in a cross draw possition ie with but facing forward. Find it otherwise very slow to draw and it scratches the back rest to shreds.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:49 PM
FullMetal
New User
I carry a Sig 357 Compact on me,...but I also have a Springfield XDM-9 (19+1), that I keep in my center console.

If it's COMPLETELY Hidden from view, (at least as the Law in Virginia applies),...then it is covered by a Concealed Carry Permit, even if it's in your console it's covered by the permit. But I have been pulled over before and the first thing I tell an officer is "I just want to let you know that I DO Have a gun in the vehicle". They have never had a problem with that. It just covers My ***.

I had one state trooper ask if he could see my "Weapon",...Which in that instance was my Sig, and he said "That's a nice gun,...I carry the same thing",...and then he handed me my gun back and unholstered his own gun and HANDED IT TO ME !!!!

Most cops are pretty cool about this stuff. Just don't be a Dick, (Yes SIR, No SIR).

On a technicality note,...if you have your gun shoved somewhere and it is partially visible,...a cop in a bad mood could tecnically Nail your ***.

Screwed up, I know. But law is here,...either TOTALLY Visible or Totally NOT Visible at all (with a concealed permit that is). You can walk around my town all day long with a six cannon hanging off your belt with out a permit and no one could say anything.

To answer your question, My Sig 357 is small and I wear it under my belt in the front. I hardly notice it's there, it's rounded on almost every edge and very comfortable, so that is the reason I bought it. Plus the 357 rd is an awesome round !!
XD's, even the XD Compacts are rather bulky even to be classified as they are, I've had the 40 and didn't like it.

I'm not sure how your laws are there, but here, I would say even if it was just in your door or down in between your seats, you would be ok. But like I said, I don't know what the Laws read up there. If it's not an option to mount a hard holster somewhere in your truck, I would look at changing guns.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
mack63
Junior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
This would be better in the General forum, but to answer your question.

1. Carry = On your person
2. Conceal = Not visible

Failing 1 & 2 is a felony here in Ohio, so stuffing a loaded weapon anywhere in a motor vehicle is not a good idea. I use the Fobus Paddle for a sub compact 9mm with not many problems, when you get used to it.
Not true in Ohio. You dont have to carry on your person.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
I carry a Sig P250 in the waist band style holster with no problems but I also have adjusted the seat so my wrist just dangle over the steering wheel. This has helped both gun & seat comfort. I am also a little guy at 170 lbs. I have a straight drop holster coming that will allow for either strong side or cross draw, this one is worn on the belt plus very high ride for summer concealment. Yes, here too permits are for concealed carry not loaded in truck but most officers will let it pass as long as you have your attitude in check. Chris

Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by mack63
Not true in Ohio. You dont have to carry on your person.
Transporting in Motor Vehicles

The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on the person. Ohio law previously required in plain site, the plain site provision has been removed.

Yes you can transport in a locked container (Glovebox) or in a container which is in visible site that has a closing mechanism. Shoving a gun in a concealed area is not a good idea. On your person is the best situation with any law enforcement official that might read the law a little different.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
I actually had the same problem with my 1911 and a fobus in my 04. However I bought a new sideguard holster and it has a piece of leather that comes up and sits between your body and the gun and keeps the safety and other parts of your gun from rubbing into your skin. It is actually comfortable to wear my gun in my truck now. Never used to be able to do it.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Sgt.Mordecai
New User
| Welcome to SeatCarry.com
this site might have what you are looking for.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 PM
aliva
New User
Why not leave your gun at home?
Do you have that much violence in the U.S. that you have to carry a gun in your vehicle?
No wonder the U.S. is plagued with violence, everyone wants to carry a gun.
I know this is going to **** some of you off, but think about it.
Unless your hunting, why bother.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
mack63
Junior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Transporting in Motor Vehicles

The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on the person. Ohio law previously required in plain site, the plain site provision has been removed.

Yes you can transport in a locked container (Glovebox) or in a container which is in visible site that has a closing mechanism. Shoving a gun in a concealed area is not a good idea. On your person is the best situation with any law enforcement official that might read the law a little different.
So we are in agrement that it doesnt legally have to be on your person.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 PM
mack63
Junior User
Originally Posted by aliva
Why not leave your gun at home?
Do you have that much violence in the U.S. that you have to carry a gun in your vehicle?
No wonder the U.S. is plagued with violence, everyone wants to carry a gun.
I know this is going to **** some of you off, but think about it.
Unless your hunting, why bother.
Things should get interesting now.

Quick Reply: Anyone else carry concealed?