6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Fuel Milage

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Sparky480
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Milage

Ok first off I am new to this forum and after reading through it seems like a great place to get great information. I have an 08 f350 KR PS Was wondering what you guys are getting for fuel millage. I just went down to Daytona Beach from New York and back and got an average of 9mpg Towing a trailer with 2 bikes in it. I have also had a problem with it seems to blow white smoke and looses power right before the dpf runs its cleaning cycle. Any info would be great.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Disclaimer: Mileage will vary by user!

Here is what I can tell you. I get around 13 city and 16-18 hwy emtpy. I have gotten a little over 11 towing. Did a trip to NH this year 8K TT with a wide front 6 people loaded to the gills and got about 9.5. total miles was about 1600.

Best way to get the most is gonna be keeping off the boost and keep RPMS under 2K . That means the faster you go the worse the mileage. Oh, my mpgs's were at speed too.

Your white smoke and loosing power is a sign that your CAC probably needs some attention. There is a TSB out on it.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
FLA-F250
New User
I get about 11.5 around the City and up to 19 on the Highway. Towing my 9800 Pound boat to the Keys, I average around 10.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
If you are in a stock setup... the DPF will destroy any good mileage you may be getting. Once it goes into Regen cycle you are just dumping fuel. It used to make me cringe every time I saw that stupid message. That is why I am glad I run a Spartan 210hp tune or 250hp tune with the dpf/cat delete. Never have to see that 'exhaust cleaning' mode ever again! I have seen unloaded over 20mpg on the highway, when the best I saw unloaded was 15-16. Not a bad increase. Keep that thing at 60mph and you will see great mpg, however I don't think anyone drives that speed anymore anyway. I usually avg about 75mph on the hwy.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Oh and side note... how was Daytona? My buddy was down there racing, and had a nice crash in his race. He actually hit someone who crashed, they were running off the track, then cut back and was running the other direction, he couldn't get around him, and slammed right into him. Luckily both of them are ok. The other rider broke his shoulder. I was supposed to be racing there but other things have come up that tied me down.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Softballdad
Senior User
I have gotten on hwy 17.5 on a 350 mile trip empty and 8.5 towing fifth-wheel. It all depends on you the driver and the roads you travel. If you are looking for the best mpg's keep the tach under 2K and you'll be fine.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Hi Sparky, welcome to FTE. Ditto on all of the above. You don't say a couple things that are of interest, wheather your truck is dual or single real wheel and which differential you have. both will impact mileage. Mine is DRW/4.30 which is almost the worst case. Plus my 5er weighs around 17,000 lbs. My previous truck was a SRW/3.73 with the 7.3L diesel. I got better than 10 MPG towing the same 5er and around 16 or so empty. But, I'm old and patient and do for the most part tow at 60 MPH. I get 9 to 9.5 around the south and around 8 in the more hilly states. I've tried several techniques and found that if I left the cruise off and worked real hard to keep the boost under 20 I could coax a little more out of it (maybe a half MPG) but I didn't feel it was worth the effort and went back to cruise on my last trip. My sense of the folks on this forum is that they are either willing to pay the extra fuel bill to get what is a fantastic towing machine and have quit worring about it or, they have removed the DPF and installed a tuner, mostly Spartan. I'm in the former camp but it is tempting to get into the latter. So, I guess I'm saying that you are getting pretty much what you're gonna get unless you go for a mod.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Sparky480
New User
Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21
If you are in a stock setup... the DPF will destroy any good mileage you may be getting. Once it goes into Regen cycle you are just dumping fuel. It used to make me cringe every time I saw that stupid message. That is why I am glad I run a Spartan 210hp tune or 250hp tune with the dpf/cat delete. Never have to see that 'exhaust cleaning' mode ever again! I have seen unloaded over 20mpg on the highway, when the best I saw unloaded was 15-16. Not a bad increase. Keep that thing at 60mph and you will see great mpg, however I don't think anyone drives that speed anymore anyway. I usually avg about 75mph on the hwy.
Sounds like you have a lucky friend. Daytona was a good time as always didn't have time to go to the races was down there for work as always. I am still running stock where did you get your Spartan and the dpf/cat delete? It is deffintly something I need to look into. 75 Is where I try to keep it but usually find myself crusing around 80.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sparky480
Sounds like you have a lucky friend. Daytona was a good time as always didn't have time to go to the races was down there for work as always. I am still running stock where did you get your Spartan and the dpf/cat delete? It is deffintly something I need to look into. 75 Is where I try to keep it but usually find myself crusing around 80.
I am almost ashamed to tell you how fast I have gone in my truck since the tune. You don't even realize when you are doing 90mph and that is scary. This size vehicle should not be going that fast that easily!

I got my Spartan setup from Sean in CT. He was awesome. Always around when I needed him.

Street Diesel Performance

Sean Ohara
195 Palmer Rd
Chaplin, CT 06235
Phone: 860-250-6082
Email: ******** language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!-- var prefix = 'ma' + 'il' + 'to'; var path = 'hr' + 'ef' + '='; var addy30260 = 'powerstroker' + '@'; addy30260 = addy30260 + 'charter' + '.' + 'net'; document.write( '<a ' + path + '\'' + prefix + ':' + addy30260 + '\'>' ); document.write( addy30260 ); document.write( '<\/a>' ); //-->\n *********>powerstroker@charter.net ******** language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!-- document.write( '<span style=\'display: none;\'>' ); //--> *********>This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ******** language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!-- document.write( '</' ); document.write( 'span>' ); //--> *********>

Old 10-23-2009, 08:29 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I usually have a trailer in tow so I never get more than 10. Does not matter if it's a 16 foot trailer or a 36 foot fifth wheel. 8-10 is all I get. Once or twice a year I run empty/solo and can get 15 or so. Makes me giddy.

F250 3.73LS, 4X4 18" wheels. CC all stock. Only mod for MPG sake was to get the Job #2 and later front air dam. I don't know if it makes any difference. Trailers just make everything cancel out.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Sparky480
New User
Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21
I am almost ashamed to tell you how fast I have gone in my truck since the tune. You don't even realize when you are doing 90mph and that is scary. This size vehicle should not be going that fast that easily!

I got my Spartan setup from Sean in CT. He was awesome. Always around when I needed him.

Street Diesel Performance

Sean Ohara
195 Palmer Rd
Chaplin, CT 06235
Phone: 860-250-6082
Email: ******** language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!-- var prefix = 'ma' + 'il' + 'to'; var path = 'hr' + 'ef' + '='; var addy30260 = 'powerstroker' + '@'; addy30260 = addy30260 + 'charter' + '.' + 'net'; document.write( '<a ' + path + '\'' + prefix + ':' + addy30260 + '\'>' ); document.write( addy30260 ); document.write( '<\/a>' ); //-->\n *********>powerstroker@charter.net ******** language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!-- document.write( '<span style=\'display: none;\'>' ); //--> *********>This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ******** language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!-- document.write( '</' ); document.write( 'span>' ); //--> *********>
Thank you very much. I talked to my boss today about it and it will definitely be done before march when we go back down for bike week.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:09 PM
richfaa
Elder User
The truck and 5th wheel combo weighs nearly 23K. We average 9/10.5 depending on conditions..... that is not bad. That is doing 62/65 MPH. These are not race cars.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by richfaa
The truck and 5th wheel combo weighs nearly 23K. We average 9/10.5 depending on conditions..... that is not bad. That is doing 62/65 MPH. These are not race cars.
Actually that's pretty good mileage for these trucks. What size truck and ratio on the differential? BTW, does that faa on your handle have something to do with the FAA?

Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
duallydan
Junior User
I just towed my 36 foot car hauler halfway across Canada. Weighed in at about 32,000lbs total. Pulled like a mother. Averaged 6.5 mpg.

I drive a '08 f450 6.4 with the 4.88 rear end. That is the worst combo you can even dream of for mileage.

Just ordered up a bunch of goodies from Cobbs, H &S Tuner, going to straight pipe it, EGR delete plates, CFM intake elbow, cold air, and a intercooler pipe to replace the mashed one through the rad support.

Next comes a tranny reuild, gear vendors overdrive, bigger turbos, intercooler, head studs. Then we will see how I feel.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:15 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by duallydan
I just towed my 36 foot car hauler halfway across Canada. Weighed in at about 32,000lbs total. Pulled like a mother. Averaged 6.5 mpg.

I drive a '08 f450 6.4 with the 4.88 rear end. That is the worst combo you can even dream of for mileage.

Just ordered up a bunch of goodies from Cobbs, H &S Tuner, going to straight pipe it, EGR delete plates, CFM intake elbow, cold air, and a intercooler pipe to replace the mashed one through the rad support.

Next comes a tranny reuild, gear vendors overdrive, bigger turbos, intercooler, head studs. Then we will see how I feel.
where do you have info on the gear vendors OD for these?
duh: http://www.gearvendors.com/f2wd4s.html
Sam

Quick Reply: Fuel Milage