6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 problems, wanting to do most of the fixes before winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 PM
kevinwebster1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 problems, wanting to do most of the fixes before winter

Alright I made a post a few days ago but have since decided to get more input for you all here.

2003, 6.0 PS, Crew cab shortbed, king ranch, 4x4, turbo back 5" MBRP, stock intake, SCT Tuner

This is what the Ford dealership has said my problems were.

I had 3 bad glow plugs, I have replaced all 8 and installed new wiring harnesses for each side.

Bad Injector Pressure Control Sensor. They didn't say I needed new pigtails but from what I'm reading, it would be best to replace those as well. I feel that I should take this to a shop for the ICP sensor because its location is crammed way in the back under the turbos and such.

I have a leak from the EGR cooler tube to the oil tube in that stupid little 3 inch long orange tube. My feelings with this are mixed, my EGR valve is stuck closed because of all the carbon buildup. So my thinking was, I should just pick up an EGR delete pipe kit and have that installed. My question here is, if i get that delete pipe, would I really need to replace that orange tube or does that eliminate that?

I also was informed that my turbo is a 7 stage turbo and is only using 2 stages. I was told that it will need to be reflashed to fix this.

Im in the middle of the tear down on for the IPC sensor but I just dont know if I want to jack with it, also reading others posts about removing the turbo and breaking tools and such makes me think that taking it to a shop to have the orange tub replaced would make more sense. Ford said it would be $400. Im sure if I went anywhere other than the stealership it would be less.

I just want to get my truck running the best I can before winter since I push snow and breaking down is not an option.

I also saw in Diesel Power that the oil drain tube is restrictive, there is an upgrade from Ford from what I understand. Is it something that really needs to be taken care of?

I have done hours of thread searching and received lots of great information, I'm just hoping to get a little more application specific info.

Thanks
Kevin

Old 10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Sheryle
Senior User
Bump? I don't have the answers you need but thought I would bump you up so it would not be missed. Also how do you tell if you have the upgraded pipe or not? Anyone??

Old 10-11-2009, 09:12 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
If you have the factory turbo I don't know where the 7 stage turbo thing comes from. I never even heard of a 7 stage turbo before. Sounds to me like it just needs cleaned. The turbo isn't that hard to remove, but if your mechanical experience is limited it's probably better for someone else to do it. The EGR cooler delete should eliminate the orange hose which has been upgraded to a blue one that doesn't leak anyway. If you're going to remove the turbo to do the EGR delete then the ICP sensor should be fairly easy to get to. IMHO it's easier to do from the under the truck anyway.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 AM
6.0 f250
New User
i am doing an egr delete right now from elite diesel. for one you dont have to take the turbo out to do this but you do have to take everything else off the top of your motor. and you do have to remove the intake. but the kit that i got does remove that stupid orange hose it takes the cooler right out as well as the egr valve. the kit comes with plates and bolts to eliminate them and then you just put a supply tube in place of the cooler i also bought a coolant filter with i would say from everything that know you would want to do at the same time. but if you are having problems with it i would highly recomend not putting another stock one in mine right now only had 20000 miles on it and it already went bad that is why i am deleting it hope that helps

Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
kevinwebster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
If you have the factory turbo I don't know where the 7 stage turbo thing comes from. I never even heard of a 7 stage turbo before. Sounds to me like it just needs cleaned. The turbo isn't that hard to remove, but if your mechanical experience is limited it's probably better for someone else to do it. The EGR cooler delete should eliminate the orange hose which has been upgraded to a blue one that doesn't leak anyway. If you're going to remove the turbo to do the EGR delete then the ICP sensor should be fairly easy to get to. IMHO it's easier to do from the under the truck anyway.
How in the heck can you get at it from under the truck?! I cant get my forearm but halfway up there. Should I go find a skinny chick that doesnt mind gettin dirty?

Also, I've got 145k on mine and have never done anything with the EGR. It sounds like maybe its mostly an 04 problem? Im very mechanically incline, I may just be getting lazy. So I guess I will just pick up an EGR delete kit to solve that problem for good. Do those kits come with good instructions? Im just afraid of ending up with an extra bolt.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:50 AM
kevinwebster1
Senior User
One more question, What I think is the IPC sensor is surrounded by a fabric feeling heat shield of some kind. Is that the right wire to unplug? Perhaps I need to get under the truck again and see if I can figure out the heatshield removal. If anyone has pics of the heatshield that would be super helpful. Thanks again

Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,508 Likes on 1,743 Posts
The Tech Folder has two great threads on an early model ICP removal. There are links to pics in these threads.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:29 PM
kevinwebster1
Senior User
yea i read all those threads but i dont think isaw the fabric covering

Old 10-11-2009, 05:49 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,508 Likes on 1,743 Posts
That is because (IIRC) the heat shield is over the IPR, not the ICP.