1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service quote from HELL

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 AM
wsu0702
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not many...

Originally Posted by rmosso1
How many miles on your truck?

Just turned 60k.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:43 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
How do you know if the bed plate is not leaking if you don't even know what it is? It may not be dripping on the ground, but at $3900 to repair, it sounds pretty major to me.

Why would you assume an EGR valve is causing blue smoke? This makes no sense. If the cooler was leaking it would be white.

None of what they listed is uncommon on a 6.0. There is the possibility that the bedplate is not leaking, but that would be a whole lot of unscrupulous behavior. A second opinion is definitely in order. Keep in mind though, the shop you take it to. They may not WANT to repair the bed plate, or get involved in the concerns you have with the dealers estimate.

Why would you report someone to the BBB for what the MIGHT have charged you. It would be like trying to sue someone for something they might do....

The Ford computers are linked for repair history, but probably not estimates. I don't know for sure though.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:48 AM
TheFist
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wsu0702
Last time I had my 03 F250 6.0 seriviced the dealership told me I had a "major fluid leak" at the bed plate and crank sensor. I did not even engage them because my truck was not obviously leaking anything. Besides I had no idea what the hell they were trying to sell me. So just last week I noticed that my truck was intermittedly blowing a little more blue smoke from tail pipe. I figured it was the EGR valve but did not have time to diagnose it myself. I dropped it off at dealership and asked them to check EGR valve. Here is the service quote I got.

1) EGR valve sticking. $400 dollars to replace
2) Oil leak at bedplate and crank sensor. $3,900 to fix (requires removing engine)
3) 3 fuel inejectors failing. $1,655 to replace all
4) Bad fuel pressure regulator. $150 to replace.

Grand total $6,135

Needless to say I told them to not touch a thing. Now keep in mind the truck has never leaked anything on the ground and I just the other day checked the under carriage and it was clean as a whistle. Only symptom was occasional smoking from exhaust.

How p*ssed off would you be?
I would be extremely pissed and this is exactly why I'm getting rid of my 05 6.0. Its in the shop right now and I'm fighting with Ford over it. If I could find the V10 I'm looking for the truck would already be gone.

At least you got off easy on the injectors. I had 3 go bad and if it weren't for the warranty it would have cost me 3000.00!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Just turned 60k.
I believe what you say. And the advice up above is all good. Here is another point to consider when buying a diesel truck.

You say your truck is an '03. And this is '09. For the sake of an argument, it would appear that you are using your truck for 10 to 12 thousand miles a year.

I think a lot of us, including myself, should weigh our thoughts when we again buy. From what I know, remember and read about diesels, you will get more trouble with less use than the converse. What we want is about the exact opposite of what we need, with this type useage.

AND, to again qualify. I am in the same boat. I bot what I wanted. BUT, at least, I have the benefit of the 5 year engine warranty.

Good luck with your problems.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:40 PM
wsu0702
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by aldridgec
How do you know if the bed plate is not leaking if you don't even know what it is? It may not be dripping on the ground, but at $3900 to repair, it sounds pretty major to me.

Why would you assume an EGR valve is causing blue smoke? This makes no sense. If the cooler was leaking it would be white.

Why would you report someone to the BBB for what the MIGHT have charged you. It would be like trying to sue someone for something they might do....
It is true I have not talked to them yet about the bed plate leakage issue yet but I will be picking it up today they can hopefully explain it to me then. My point was simply that if my truck is not leaking oil on the ground at all and oil is not being blown under chassis during driving then why should I be concerned about it? Not only that but concerned enough to spend $3,900 on a seemingly non-issue? Would you have it fixed and if so why?

The exhaust smoke was a very light blue and I guess it could be considered on the white side. The shop confirmed that the sticky EGR valve was causing this symptom.

The failing injectors I can believe but wouldn't this be covered under powertrain warranty (70k miles?)? Regardless I will not spend $1600+ on a problem that is not even showing symptoms yet. When the injectors start failing I would assume that I would notice it? At that point I will replace them myself or at least get a second quote.

I never mentioned the BBB that was just suggested in some of the responses. To be fair I will not even mention the dealership's name but I just wanted to vent and see what everyone thought about their astronomical quote for a truck that seems to run fine.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Would you have it fixed and if so why?

The exhaust smoke was a very light blue and I guess it could be considered on the white side. The shop confirmed that the sticky EGR valve was causing this symptom.

At that point I will replace them myself or at least get a second quote.

I never mentioned the BBB that was just suggested in some of the responses.
Ok, smartass answer...

No I wouldn't fix the bedplate, I don't have one on my truck! I don't have a 6.0 on purpose

Probably not if I did, unless it was leaking badly. But if it is even seeping, they are doing their job in advising you. Conversely, they could be just as accountable if it was leaking and suddenly became worse and they hadn't told you. You just wouldn't know they saw it.

I don't know for sure if injectors are covered under the engine warranty, but I always thought that they were.

I know you didn't mention the BBB, but I didn't feel like doing a multi quote, response was to those that did.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:01 PM
wsu0702
Mountain Pass
What is a bed plate anyway I am not familiar with that term? The original diagnosis was "major fluid leakage at bed plate & crank sensor"

Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 PM
wsu0702
Mountain Pass
BTW there was no mention of failing fuel injectors when I had the free multipoint inspection 2 months ago. Apparently 3 injectors all started failing within the last eight weeks. I am not a suspisciuos(sp?) person by nature but I am definitly not feeling comfortable with this dealership.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:11 PM
tlk50
Elder User
Does anybody know if Ford put out a Tech Report on this bedplate issue are possibly a recall?

Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Either here or on the org there was a legnthy post about the bedplate and oil leaks....not sure how to add links from my blackberry though

Old 03-14-2009, 01:57 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW there was no mention of failing fuel injectors when I had the free multipoint inspection 2 months ago. Apparently 3 injectors all started failing within the last eight weeks. I am not a suspisciuos(sp?) person by nature but I am definitly not feeling comfortable with this dealership.
While the number is suspicious, you can actually have 3 injectors go bad. Lose of fuel pressure, and/or bad fuel, also what was the position of the 3 injectors? If they were toward the end, then it could be related to dead-heading.

Any one of those scenerios could cause injectors to go bad within a month depending on severity of the issue(maybe even less, that's on the conservative side with big severity issues). Just because you had a multi-point inspection 2 months ago doesn't mean that issues of good degree of severity couldn't have manifested themself and caused issues. It sucks, but at times it does happen.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is a bed plate anyway I am not familiar with that term? The original diagnosis was "major fluid leakage at bed plate & crank sensor"
The bed plate goes between the bottom of the engine block and the oil pan. It's purpose is to reinforce the bottom end of the block.

If the service department said "major" fluid leakage, then you would definitely see visible signs of leakage. It should be very easy to see and you should be seeing drops under your truck when parked for any length of time. The fact that you can't see any signs of leakage does raise questions about the diagnosis and you are wise to ask them. I would definitely look for another service department that has a good reputation in your area and get a second opinion. You might consider asking for a reputable service department in your area by posting in the regional forum for your area. The regional forums are further down the site forum listing. Good luck.

Also, the diesel engine warrantee is 5 yr/100k miles. You have to be inside both the time period and mileage window for it to apply to your situation. The time period clock starts when the truck is first put into service (i.e., sold). Being that yours is an 03, you're either out of warrantee or very, very close.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
wsu0702
Mountain Pass
Update: Service quote from HELL

1) EGR valve sticking. $400 dollars to replace
2) Oil leak at bedplate and crank sensor. $3,900 to fix (requires removing engine)
3) 3 fuel inejectors failing. $1,655 to replace all
4) Bad fuel pressure regulator. $150 to replace.
5) Oil cooler plugged. Recommend replacement. $1,000

Grand total $7,135
Well I received a second opinion from the diesel performance shop today. According to them none of the service issues identified by the dealership (see above) were valid (I did have the dealership replace the EGR valve). They hooked up their scan tool to it and drove it under all types of driving conditions (I doubt dealership did this). Fuel injectors...good, fuel pressure regulator...good, EGR valve....good, oil cooler...good. Lesson learned on my part....do not trust big dealership service quotes. I know that times are tough for OEM car dealerships and dealership mechanics are getting pressured to generate sales but give me a break!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
So simply because they didn't want to take your money, the original issues weren't valid? Why do you trust them more than the dealer? Did you give the dealer opportunity to point out the issues to you? Did the performance shop point out why they WEREN'T bad? (devils advocate )

Times are tough for everyone...

Perhaps you just can't trust quotes from that dealership.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They hooked up their scan tool to it and drove it under all types of driving conditions (I doubt dealership did this).

Another reason why I love having Autoenginuity in my "toolbox".

Quick Reply: Service quote from HELL