Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering problem (wheel jerks back and forth)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:34 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
At first, I thought this issue only happened when I was towing a trailer, but today, I ran some errands around town, and it happened twice.

And I had the power steering pump replaced. BTW, mine is a 250 Crewcab 4x4 with the short bed and V10.

In the interest of this problem, let's do a survey, or maybe get a poll going, to determine the specs on everybodys' trucks.
It's all the same complete chassis on the Ex and Super Duty pick ups as far as I know, and the same steering also. But the diesel has a different power steering set-up as it supplies power the the brake also. PS box should all be the same though.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Fixxer777
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its looking good outside today, going to get out there and see if I can figure this out once and for all. Most likely going to replace the steering box, as once again I see nothing else that could cause this type of steering issue.

The truck tracks perfectly straight when the steering isnt acting up, so it cant be an alignment issue. Its very random when it happens, so it cant be some sort of suspension issue as when those bind (balljoints/u joints/ect...) its usually not random but all the time.

I will post back with results later.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Fixxer777
New User
Tested the suspension today and found LOTS of play in the bearings within the front end. Moving the knuckle by hand without tie rods reveals that the bearings within the front end have so much play, that it allows the shaft to move side to side a good 1/4".

I would guess this in turn has been allowing the U joints (OK or not) to bind and cause this random issue usually after turning but also while driving straight. The truck goes under the knife Monday, so I will post back with results a day or so after that.

If anyone has this problem, I would suggest taking your wheels off and undoing your tie rods. Move the knuckle side to side by hand and observe side to side movement in the shaft before the U joint. The shaft should not move side to side within the axle housing at all.

I hope :

A. This fixes the problem.
And.
B. This post helps one or multiple others with this problem. (Or allows you to at least eliminate this from your list)

Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Here's a question. How many of you guys started having this issue after replacing the ball joints?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Here's a question. How many of you guys started having this issue after replacing the ball joints?
Not me. I doubt if they have anything to do with it.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Anything yet?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Anything yet?
I took my right hub off and it's been fine for 2 days so far but that doesn't mean much because I thought it was fixed last time. My right hub won't let the u-joint spin freely and I can't put it back on without a big mallet so I'm waiting again. It never has gone more than 3 days without acting up so it's between the PS box and the hub as I have already installed a new PS pump to no avail. I'm not going to just change things until I figure out what it is.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
clockgod1
Junior User
To really mess with everyone, I have not had the problem return to my Excursion for three weeks now.I just returned from a 1600 mile trip and no problems. This thing just went away. I still think it has something to do with the 4wd. The last time my truck was put in 4wd was about a month ago and since then no problems. I did replace my hubs some weeks back. I did try one thing different. I turned my hubs to 4wd manually and the jerking did stop. I drove it for about 100 miles during a heavy rain and the next day unlocked them manually. Since then no problems. I'm sure this was just a fluke but for now I'm glad I have no jerking of the wheel.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Yes this is a very strange problem. My right hub was acting up so I took it off for 4 days and I thought the problem was solved so I went to the store today and bam! voilent back and fort action so I stopped in some gravel and turned the wheel back and forth a couple times and it went away. I am leaning towards the PS box again as I have already replaced the pump with very little improvement there.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by clockgod1
To really mess with everyone, I have not had the problem return to my Excursion for three weeks now.I just returned from a 1600 mile trip and no problems. This thing just went away. I still think it has something to do with the 4wd. The last time my truck was put in 4wd was about a month ago and since then no problems. I did replace my hubs some weeks back. I did try one thing different. I turned my hubs to 4wd manually and the jerking did stop. I drove it for about 100 miles during a heavy rain and the next day unlocked them manually. Since then no problems. I'm sure this was just a fluke but for now I'm glad I have no jerking of the wheel.
I will have to try putting it in 4HI. I have the ESOF, but, due to some issues, I went with the premium Warns and have always locked them manually, in fact, even when I had the OEM hubs.

Also, when you locked your hubs for a day, you weren't running 4wd at the same time, correct?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXv10
Yes this is a very strange problem. My right hub was acting up so I took it off for 4 days and I thought the problem was solved so I went to the store today and bam! voilent back and fort action so I stopped in some gravel and turned the wheel back and forth a couple times and it went away. I am leaning towards the PS box again as I have already replaced the pump with very little improvement there.
I did the pump too. Steering tightened up, but that was about it. My issue is basically the same as yours, but mine has degrees of severity to it. Sometimes, it can be so violent, I have to pull over or run the risk of hitting something. Other times, it is very subtle, but still there. Then, sometimes it speeds up in frequency. However, it can always be fixed with turning the wheel back and forth a couple times.

Also, from what I've noticed, haven't had much of an issue when just driving the truck on it's own. In fact, come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER had an issue after replacing the PS Pump, just when driving the truck with no trailer.

WTF.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 AM
clockgod1
Junior User
I will have to try putting it in 4HI. I have the ESOF, but, due to some issues, I went with the premium Warns and have always locked them manually, in fact, even when I had the OEM hubs.

Also, when you locked your hubs for a day, you weren't running 4wd at the same time, correct?
Yes this is correct. I should have explained this better. I locked the hubs but did not run the truck in 4wd.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I did the pump too. Steering tightened up, but that was about it. My issue is basically the same as yours, but mine has degrees of severity to it. Sometimes, it can be so violent, I have to pull over or run the risk of hitting something. Other times, it is very subtle, but still there. Then, sometimes it speeds up in frequency. However, it can always be fixed with turning the wheel back and forth a couple times.

Also, from what I've noticed, haven't had much of an issue when just driving the truck on it's own. In fact, come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER had an issue after replacing the PS Pump, just when driving the truck with no trailer.

WTF.
Mine varys with severity and only does it sometimes also. I just went 3 days with no problem and then it had a violent episode. Sometimes it can just have an annoying slight tugging back and forth but it will stop if I stop and move the wheel back and forth. It always give a slight resistance when turning from "turned" to straight which lets me know it is coming.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXv10
Mine varys with severity and only does it sometimes also. I just went 3 days with no problem and then it had a violent episode. Sometimes it can just have an annoying slight tugging back and forth but it will stop if I stop and move the wheel back and forth. It always give a slight resistance when turning from "turned" to straight which lets me know it is coming.
Ditto. There have been times I have taken a gradual curve, and as I was right on the cusp of the "resistance", the wheel shuddered. I can always tell when it's coming.

As for the "locking the hubs" thing. Mine did it again this morning, so I put my 4 ways on and pulled over to the side of the road. I jerked the steering wheel around a few times, and then decided to get out and try locking the hubs. I guess I must not of yanked the wheel hard enough, because the jerking was still there. In fact, it became more severe after locking the hubs. At the the next light, I yanked it to and fro again, and no problems. Later today, as I was pulling out, it did it again, however, it was so slight, I was able to stay perfectly straight with just one hand at the wheel. It jerked very softly. (<lol)

Just a strange issue. I am going to take a look at the U-Joints all around, but at this point, I am very sure it is in the gearbox.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 AM
disturban
New User
Well I changed my PS pump and drove for 2 weeks and thought I solved the problem but yesterday it happened again!!! I think it is in the gear box also, I also think it has something to do with the valve in there and because I changed the pump I used new fluid and I think it freed the valve up for a while....make sense? My box is next!

Quick Reply: Steering problem (wheel jerks back and forth)