Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering problem (wheel jerks back and forth)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by suzanne9273
Hi there. It occured before the steering box was replaced. It occured after the above mentioned list of things that were done. We now have replaced at Ford:
1)Steering box
2)Main bar bushings- invoice said they were too small and "flopping" around
3)Ball joints- replaced because they said the Moog ones are suceptible to the truck "darting" from being torqued too tight. Only way to remedy is to replace and re-torque?
4)Power steering flush as it was black- I wondered if we should replace the PS pump?
They added that the test drive showed the vehicle "darting" left and right. I was wondering about tie rods?
They said they took whole front end apart and found and replaced etc the four points above.
The truck did this again today as I said after another $3500 worth of work and yes after steering box replacement. I feel this is ridiculous for a 2004 truck. It is not like it is 1974. I can understand one from 1974 running a bit rough or having problems.
We had the steering box replaced so I am assuming the valve you are referring would be part of this? Did this work for your vehicle? I did not think that it had.
Keep the info flowing..and yes we are considering our options legally. We were told that for "safety" we should have the original work done and now our truck is more unsafe than before.
Thanks
I was a mechanic years ago and ball joints were never torqued. They are just like a hip socket (nothing to torque). It sounds like they unecessarily replaced them. They should last 100,000 miles. Moog makes top of the line suspension parts and they are not going to give a problem unless completely worn out. I am leaning towards the steering box as my problem but mine doesen't grind and has zero slop in it. That valve is in the box and hopefully you didn't go from one bad box to another one. I replaced my ball joints recently and there was nothing to torque in them. It sounds like replacing a hundred dollar bill with a new one. What for? They will cause the car to slowly wander and pull to left or right when you hit the brake if completely shot. Another theory I have is that the power steering pump is not putting out enough pressure for the box to function correctly. A good way to keep from getting ripped off at the auto shop is to ask in advance if you can have the used parts. They will think twice about if you really need new parts and you will have ammo when you go to court. Maybe you can re-coup some of your money at small claims court. If it is still pulling after all that work I would. I am especially concerned about those ball joints. Bring at least a back yard mechanic with you if you can.
When you said they took it for a test drive and it was darting back and forth it was probably the same problem you are still having. No it wasn't the tie rods or they would have seen that the ends were shot and they would mainly just cause "slop" in your steering wheel. I don't know what the "main bar" is you refer to. The oil does get dark after a while. Do you know how many miles were on those Moog ball joints? I'm wondering about the pump now. I'd still take them to court.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:26 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Can the shocks or anything around these be affecting the jerking back and forth?
No the shocks only cushion the up and down movement of the spring action. Without them your car would never stop bouncing while driving.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Diamond-X
This sounds like what is known in the Jeep world as 'Death Wobble'. It's possible that what you guys are feeling is the wheels rapidly turning left then right, wobbling, rapidly.
No this is a slow pulling but violent, (about every second) with mine. And not all the time.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:44 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Another theory I have is that the power steering pump is not putting out enough pressure for the steering box to funtion correctly. It is better after it warms up. If we could get some ford mechanics in on this we could probably solve it as they see a lot more heavy duty Ford problems than we do.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
My husband is describing the front end as moving/swaying severly side-to-side, steering wheel too going, no steering control.
He said it just happened again and he said this time he heard a grinding noise and felt the grinding all the way up the steering column.
Suggestions?
Was that a grinding noise or a hydraulic whine noise. Mine maks a whine noise sometimes when it's cold. A grinding is more like trying to get a stick transmission into gear without the clutch in all the way. You said they said they took the front end all apart but I assure you they didn't take anything apart in advance. (I was a mechanic years ago).

Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is from 2000 service manual. See if you can use this info.

Steering System

****** content="Steering System" name=tps_proctitle>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="50%" border=1><CAPTION>Special Tool(s) </CAPTION><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>[IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ST1396A.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top>Dial Thermometer 0-220°F
023-R0007 or Equivalent </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ST1177A.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top>Hand Held Automotive Meter
105-R0053 or Equivalent </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ST1477A.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top>Power Steering Analyzer
211-F001 (014-00207) or Equivalent </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ST1398A.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top>Tach Adapter
418-F102 (007-00061) or Equivalent </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Inspection and Verification
[IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG] CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel (3600) at the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump (3A674) will result.
NOTE: Make the following preliminary check before repairing the steering system:
  1. Verify the customer concern by operating the steering system.
  1. Inspect Tires
    • Check tire pressure; refer to the Vehicle Certification (VC) Label.
    • Verify that all tires are sized to specification; for additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
    • Inspect the tires for damage or uneven wear.
  1. Belt and Tensioner Check
    • Refer to Section 303-05 for diagnosis and testing of the accessory drive system.
  1. Fluid Level Check
    • Verify that the power steering fluid level is at the full (F) mark. Add Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.
  1. Air Bleeding
  1. External Leak Check
    • With the ignition switch at OFF, wipe off the power steering pump, power steering pressure hose (3A719), power steering return hose, power steering fluid cooler (3D746) and steering gear (3504).
    • With the engine running, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop several times. Do not hold steering wheel at stops. Check for leaks. Repair as necessary if leaks are observed.
  1. Visually inspect for obvious signs of mechanical damage; refer to the following chart.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><CAPTION>Visual Inspection Chart </CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Mechanical </TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>
    • Loose tie rod ends
    • Loose suspension components
    • Loose steering column shaft universal joints
    • Loose steering gear mounting bolts
    • Binding or misaligned steering column
    • Power steering pump
    • Bent or pinched power steering lines
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  1. If an obvious cause for an observed or reported malfunction is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
  1. If the fault is not visually evident, determine the symptom and proceed to the following symptom chart.
Steering System Symptom Definitions
Drift/Pull

Pull is a tugging sensation, felt by the hands on the steering wheel, that must be overcome to keep the vehicle going straight.
Drift describes what a vehicle with this condition does with hands off the steering wheel.
  • A vehicle-related drift/pull, on a flat road, will cause a consistent deviation from the straight-ahead path and require constant steering input in the opposite direction to counteract the effect.
  • Drift/pull may be induced by conditions external to the vehicle (i.e., wind, road camber).
Excessive Steering Wheel Play

Excessive steering wheel play is a condition in which there is too much steering wheel movement before the wheels move. A small amount of steering wheel free play is considered normal.
Feedback

Feedback is a roughness felt in the steering wheel when the vehicle is driven over rough pavement.
Hard Steering or Lack of Assist

Hard steering can remain constant through the full turn or occur near the end of a turn. It is important to know the difference between hard steering/lack of assist and binding.
Hard steering or lack of assist can result from either hydraulic or mechanical conditions. It is extremely important to know if this concern occurs during driving, during very heavy or static parking maneuvers.
Nibble

Sometimes confused with shimmy, nibble is a condition resulting from tire interaction with various road surfaces and observed by the driver as small rotational oscillations of the steering wheel.
Poor Returnability/Sticky Steering

Poor returnability and sticky steering is used to describe the poor return of the steering wheel to center after a turn or the steering correction is completed.
Shimmy

Shimmy, as observed by the driver, is large, consistent, rotational oscillations of the steering wheel resulting from large, side-to-side (lateral) tire/wheel movements.
Shimmy is usually experienced near 64 km/h (40 mph), and can begin or be amplified when the tire contacts pot holes or irregularities in the road surface.
Wander

Wander is the tendency of the vehicle to require frequent, random left and right steering wheel corrections to maintain a straight path down a level road.

Symptom Chart
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 rules=groups width="90%" border=1><CAPTION>SYMPTOM CHART </CAPTION><COLGROUP><COLGROUP><COLGROUP><TBODY><TR>< TH>Condition </TH><TH>Possible Sources </TH><TH>Action </TH></TR><TBODY></TBODY><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>
  • Hard Steering or Lack of Assist
</TD><TD>
  • Seized lower steering column shaft U-joints.
</TD><TD>
  • REPLACE the lower steering column shaft U-joints; for additional information, REFER to Section 211-04 .
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>
  • Damaged, fractured steering column bearing(s).
</TD><TD>
  • REPAIR the steering column; for additional information, REFER to Section 211-04 .
  • Power steering pump.
</TD><TD>
  • GO to Pump Flow and Pressure Test in this section.
  • Suspension components.
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>
  • Steering gear internal leakage.
</TD><TD>
  • GO to Pump Flow and Pressure Test under Component Tests in this section.
</TD></TR><TBODY></TBODY><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>
  • Excessive Steering Pump Noise
</TD><TD>
  • Power steering pump.
</TD><TD>
  • GO to Pump Flow and Pressure Test in this section.
  • Excessive Steering Wheel Play
</TD><TD>
  • Loose, worn or damaged steering linkages or tie rod end (3A130).
</TD><TD>
  • GO to the Steering Linkage Component Test as necessary.
  • Loose steering gear bolts.
  • Damaged or worn steering gear.
</TD><TD>
  • REPAIR the steering gear; for additional information, REFER to Section 211-02 .
  • Loose, worn or damaged steering column bearing(s).
</TD><TD>
  • REPLACE any unserviceable steering column bearing(s); for additional information, REFER to Section 211-04 .
  • Loose, worn or damaged lower steering column shaft U-joints.
</TD><TD>
  • REPLACE the lower steering column shaft; for additional information, REFER to Section 211-04 .
  • Wander
</TD><TD>
  • Unevenly loaded or overloaded vehicle.
</TD><TD>
  • NOTIFY the customer of improper vehicle loading.
  • Loose or damaged steering gear mounting bolts.
</TD><TD>
  • REPLACE or TIGHTEN the bolts; for additional information, REFER to Section 211-02 .
  • Loose lower steering column U-joint bolts.
  • Loose, worn or damaged lower steering column shaft U-joints.
</TD><TD>
  • REPLACE the lower steering column shaft; for additional information, REFER to Section 211-04 .
  • Wheel alignment.
  • Loose, worn or binding steering linkage(s) or tie rod end(s).
</TD><TD>
  • GO to the Steering Linkage Component Test.
  • Improper steering gear preload/meshload.
  • Suspension components.
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TBODY></TBODY><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>
  • Drift/Pull
</TD><TD>
  • Unevenly loaded or overloaded vehicle.
</TD><TD>
  • NOTIFY the customer of improper vehicle loading.
  • Wheel alignment.
</TD><TD>
  • Suspension components.
  • The steering gear valve effort out of balance.
</TD><TD>
  • GO to Steering Gear Valve under Component Tests in this section.
  • Check the brake system for proper operation.
  • Improper frame/underbody alignment.
</TD><TD>
  • CORRECT as required; for additional information, REFER to Section 502-02 .
  • Feedback
</TD><TD>
  • Loose, worn or damaged steering linkage(s) or tie rod end(s).
</TD><TD>
  • Loose or damaged steering gear mounting bolts.
</TD><TD>
  • REPLACE or TIGHTEN the retaining bolts; for additional information, REFER to Section 211-02 .
  • Loose lower steering column shaft U-joint bolts.
  • Loose suspension bushings, fasteners or ball joints.
  • Worn or damaged steering column bearing(s).
</TD><TD>
  • REPLACE any unserviceable steering column bearing(s); for additional information, REFER to Section 211-04 .
  • Sticky Steering, Poor Returnability
</TD><TD>
  • Binding lower steering column shaft U-joints.
</TD><TD>
</TD><TD>
  • Check the steering gear for evidence of binding or damage.
</TD><TD>
  • REPAIR the steering gear; for additional information, REFER to Section 211-02 .
  • Suspension components.
  • Wheel alignment.
  • Binding steering column bearing(s).
</TD><TD>
  • REPLACE the steering column bearing(s); for additional information, REFER to Section 211-04 .
  • Power steering pump
</TD><TD>
  • GO to the Pump Flow and Pressure Test in this section.
  • Shimmy
</TD><TD>
  • Loose, worn or damaged steering linkage(s) or tie rod end(s).
</TD><TD>
  • Suspension system components.
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Component Tests

Steering Linkage
  1. NOTE: Excessive vertical motion of the studs relative to the sockets may indicate excessive wear.
    With the parking brake applied, perform the following:
    • Have an assistant rotate the steering wheel back and forth 360 degrees and watch for relative motion of the studs in the steering linkage ball sockets.
    • Watch for loose steering gear mounting.
  1. Another method is to raise the front wheels (1007) off the ground, grasp the wheel at the front and rear and watch for excessive play or binding in the joints while trying to steer the wheels.
  1. Replace or tighten any worn, damaged, or loose tie rods, tie rod ends, linkages or components. Refer to the appropriate Group 2 steering section.
Pump Flow and Pressure Test
[IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG] WARNING: Do not touch the flowmeter during the test procedure, or severe burns and serious injury may occur.
  1. [IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG] CAUTION: Make sure that the connection point will not interfere with any of the engine accessory drive components or drive belts.
    Install the Power Steering Analyzer at the high pressure port of the power steering pump. Make sure the Power Steering Analyzer gate valve is fully open.
    • On some vehicles, the power steering pump high pressure port is inaccessible and the Power Steering Analyzer should then be installed either at the steering gear or at a point in the high pressure line between the power steering pump and the steering gear.
  1. Place a Dial Thermometer in the power steering oil reservoir.
  1. Check the power steering fluid level. If necessary, add power steering fluid.
    • Use Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.
  1. Install a digital tachometer.
  1. [IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG] CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for more than three to five seconds at a time. Damage to the power steering pump will occur.
    Start the engine. Place the transmission in neutral. Set the parking brake. Raise the power steering fluid temperature to 74-80°C (165-175°F) by rotating the steering wheel fully to the left and right several times.
  1. Set the engine speed to 1500 rpm. Record the flow rate and pressure readings.
    • If the flow rate is below the flow rate specification, the power steering pump may require replacement. Continue with the test procedure.
    • If the pressure reading is above the maximum pressure specification, then check power steering hoses for kinks and restrictions.
  1. Partially close the gate valve to obtain 750 psi. Set the engine speed at idle. Record the flow rate.
    • If the flow is less than the specified flow rate, then replace the power steering pump.
  1. [IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG] CAUTION: Do not allow the gate valve to remain closed for more than 5 seconds.
    Completely close and partially open the gate valve 3 times. Record the pressure relief valve actuation pressure reading.
    • If the pressure does not meet the relief pressure specification, then replace the power steering pump.
  1. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm. Record the flow rate.
    • If the flow rate varies more than 3.785 liters/minute (1 gallon/minute) from the initial flow rate reading, then replace the power steering pump.
  1. [IMG]file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/RICKSTOSHIBA_6752/SYO~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif[/IMG] CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for more than three to five seconds at a time. Damage to the power steering pump will occur.
    Set the engine speed at idle. Turn (or have an assistant turn) the steering wheel to the left and right stops. Record flow rate and pressure readings at the stops.
    • The pressure reading at both stops should be nearly the same as the maximum pump relief pressure.
    • The flow rate should drop below 1.9 liters/minute (0.5 gallons/minute).
    • If the pressure does not reach the maximum pump relief pressure or the flow rate does not drop below the specified value, excessive internal leakage is occurring. Repair or replace the steering gear as necessary; for additional information, refer to Section 211-02 .
  1. Turn (or have an assistant turn) the steering wheel slightly in both directions and release quickly while watching the pressure gauge.
    • The pressure reading should move from the normal back pressure reading and snap back as the steering wheel is released.
    • If the pressure returns slowly or sticks, the rotary valve in the steering gear is sticking or the steering column is binding. Check the steering column and linkages before servicing the steering gear.
Steering Gear Valve
  1. With the vehicle in motion, place the transmission in NEUTRAL and turn the engine OFF.
    • If the vehicle does not pull with the engine OFF, repair or replace the steering gear; for additional information, refer to Section 211-02 .
  1. If the vehicle pulls with the engine OFF, cross-switch the front wheels.
    • If the vehicle pulls to the opposite side, cross-switch the front and rear wheels on the same side.
  1. If the vehicle pull direction does not change, check the front suspension components, wheel alignment and frame alignment; for additional information, refer to Section 204-00 or an appropriate frame dimensions manual.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Rickx
Senior User
Note: some of the headings in my previous post are images. I'm apparetly not allowed to upload pictures?!?!?! That's why the strange file names show up.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 AM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep info coming

Hi all. Thanks you for the info I will print and show my husband and he can take to Ford.
The story with the ball joints begins when we had our old ball joints on there and they replaced at local shop with Moog. Mechanic there said they looked and "moved" fine. Ford said the Moog ball joints were torqued too tight and were the problem we were having. Replaced with "Ford" ball joints after one week of the Moog. Still having the problem and now worse.
I am curious about the power steering pump as it seems to be the steering that is the problem, box has now been replaced, and now the ps fluid has been drained/flushed and the problem has become worse..so maybe this was it all along?
He is taking back to Ford and they are giving him a courtesy truck to drive so at least he can work and be safe..hopefully
I told him to tell Ford to drive the truck around town until they feel what he is feeling and to not stop until then.
Sorry, I meant sway bar bushings, not main bar.
Is the valve related to the steering box part of the steering box we replaced or is the valve a separate component from the steering box.
I will ask for used parts back.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:35 AM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
I am reading about steering gears. Would this cause a grinding noise felt up the steering column?
Are steering gears part of the steering column?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:38 AM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
To Rickx
What does the condition "feedback" from your 2000 service manual mean or feel like?
Thanks

Old 04-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Rickx
Senior User
I am not an expert. So I don't think I'm qualified to answer that question. I'm just someone with information that I would like to share for this problem. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:48 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I am reading about steering gears. Would this cause a grinding noise felt up the steering column?
Are steering gears part of the steering column?
The steering gears are in the steering box along with the steering valve. I'm wondering if that was an actual grinding noise or a hydraulic whine. (Like when you turned the wheel too far on older cars).

Old 04-19-2009, 11:58 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Hi all. Thanks you for the info I will print and show my husband and he can take to Ford.
The story with the ball joints begins when we had our old ball joints on there and they replaced at local shop with Moog. Mechanic there said they looked and "moved" fine. Ford said the Moog ball joints were torqued too tight and were the problem we were having. Replaced with "Ford" ball joints after one week of the Moog. Still having the problem and now worse.
I am curious about the power steering pump as it seems to be the steering that is the problem, box has now been replaced, and now the ps fluid has been drained/flushed and the problem has become worse..so maybe this was it all along?
He is taking back to Ford and they are giving him a courtesy truck to drive so at least he can work and be safe..hopefully
I told him to tell Ford to drive the truck around town until they feel what he is feeling and to not stop until then.
Sorry, I meant sway bar bushings, not main bar.
Is the valve related to the steering box part of the steering box we replaced or is the valve a separate component from the steering box.
I will ask for used parts back.
The valve is in the box (read other previous post) and your Moog joints were fine. Torquing the nut that holds them in has no effect. Looks like; you took it in to fix drifting/pull, they did a lot of work, drifting still there and they admitted it after test drive. I would demand ALL my money back.

The steering column is comprised of the entire unit including steering wheel. The box is a gearbox at the bottom which contains the directional assist valve and it transfers power to the tie rods etc. The pump merely supplies oil pressure to the steering box. That's why I'm wondering if it is a pressure problem.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Suzanne, This may be off topic but it reminds me why I hate dealerships. They gave you a phony story about taking the whole front end apart, another phony story about the torque on the Moog ball joints (there is no torque!), and then they drove it and said; well it still pulls so here's your car back.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Rickx
Note: some of the headings in my previous post are images. I'm apparetly not allowed to upload pictures?!?!?! That's why the strange file names show up.
Thanks for the post. Unfortunatly if decribes pulling but not the strange back and forth action.

Quick Reply: Steering problem (wheel jerks back and forth)