1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Which one is the EOT sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idk bout this one. When I go to Joe's house (c00nhunterjoe) I'll talk to him. My TC locks just as normal. Like it would without the mod. But I wanna see what he says bout the pistons and rods

Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That statement was meant more for the OP than you Tim.
I hadn't even thought of the trans taking a hit with 10K mod...makes sense.

I know for sure than tricking the PCM can be hazardous to the engine though.
I have re-written the fuel tables on my Vette search for more HP/TQ. It has the Accel (DFI) digital fuel injection
system with a stand alone FI management unit that lets you custom tune with a laptop.
It was a steep learning curve that cost me a couple pistons. Ran like a scalded
dog just before that happened.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the changes we are doing are a mere fraction of what chips produce, we all know that. a 10k mod and an eot mod are not going to blow your truck up or melt pistons down. you have a better chance of blowing you truck up running a tw chip on race and climbing a hill on the floor than you do running the cheap mods. its all about how you take care of your rig and drive it when it comes to longevity. the eot mod does not affect the oil temps enough to do harm, if they did my truck would have melted down a long time ago and the 10k mod would have grenaded my trans along time ago as well. my truck sees plenty of abuse, by far i do not baby it. i have watched the pid data while installing the resistors and seen how much it affects things.

i do agree that there will be added stress on the transmission, but there is little difference when you say a chip is so much better, all they can do is raise line pressure and minor mapping. the only way you are going to "save" your transmission is to upgrade your internals. no brand of chip is going to be "safe" for any stock E4OD.
Also, the 10k mod is not going to cause the pcm to cut pressures to the tranny, it works off of load and tp signal amongst other things. just becasue the pcm sees lower icp then expected doesnt change trans controling, the only change is the additional ipr duty to compensate for the "drop" in icp. what the pcm sees from the 10k mod is no different tehn if you had worn injector o-rings that were leaking by some. the pcm doesnt care about why the icp is low, all it cares about it closing the ipr to bring it back up.

the only thing you have to do with these mods are remove them for diagnostic purposes. you will most likely never get a cylinder contribution test to run with an eot mod in place, even in the summer time. and the 10k variants wont cause much interruption in diag, but it never hurts to see the baseline.....but, the same goes for any chip, it should be removed for diagnostics purposes, i have seen variations on scanners from the "true stock" versus the "stock" position on chips. even though they claim its a bone stock setting there can be changes. i have seen it first hand.
i am not trying to take anything away from the name brand chips. i have ridden in a few tw chipped trucks and they are great! if you have the money to spend then i highly recomend getting one, but, in the meantime there is nothing wrong with playing with 5 dollar mods. all you need is a little common sense, and even better than common sense......gauges...lol

i suppose my point to this ranting is that i hate seeing that everyone tries to knock down the cheap mods playing them off as unsafe and guaranteed to melt motors and smoke trannys. i have yet to hear of such a thing happen, everyone burns up tranny's when the stage 1's and tw tunes go in, not when the 10k mod gets installed. the motors meltdown when the truck hits 1500 degrees and the driver isnt watching his gauges. the day someone shows me that the 4.7k or 5.6k eot mod causes unsafely high cylinder pressures and causes motor meltdowns then i will print this page and eat my words.
its not going to happen, those simple mods on their own wont cause the things you are striking fear about. there just isnt enough parameter change going on to do it. now if you have the big chips and big injectors and nice turbos, and add the mods........ but everyone should already know that they are not used in conjuction with the custom tunes. these are cheap, quick mods for the do-it-yourselfer that wants a little extra oomph out of his mostly stock truck.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
Thank you Joe. lol Thats my (Local Powerstroke Know It All) I guess bein a powerstroke technician at Ramsey's "Fraud" did some good in the long run

Old 10-21-2008, 08:47 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
oh god! dont even mention that name! that place taught me nothing other than how to cover your own butt!

you cant quote what i say as the bible, i do have plenty of knowledge to share but not everyone is going to agree with me, especially not on this one...lol. i will stand my ground on this one as i wouldnt do anything to my truck that i wouldnt recommend someone else to do. my truck is my baby and i wont install anything that is going to harm it. the only piece of equipment on my truck that i am hesitant to use is the exhaust brake. and that is for a few simple reasons, the backpressure created, while technicly within the safe limits it is still unequal drive pressures on the sides of the turbo housings, and second, the added stress on the trans when you downgear under a load, i agree 100% with madvan on that one.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
I aint used it that much but thats why I come to you. I know you treat your truck just as I treat mine and you wouldnt tell me to do somethin that would hurt her. Plus since you dont have guages I wouldnt have did the mods if you didnt at least seem to know what you were talking about. lol for I still dont have guages and I've been pulling tractors and the whole nine yards for a year i with the mods installed. No tapping or anything from the engine. And the only oil that is used is do to bad injector orings. My ranting is now over.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Joe its my understanding that TW and DP don't even mess with injection timing in their standard burns. So yes the EOT mod does change timing more than my chip. There are plenty of other ways to make power without changing timing.

Also Joe I didn't say the 10K mod cuts line pressure. I said with the 10k mod the pcm does compensate for the higher power with extra EPC to hold. It has no idea what is really going on so it can add line pressure to coincide with the added power.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
tim, never said the eot mod changes timing more then a tw chip. i said that you have just as much chance melting a motor down on a custom tune as you do running an eot mod. you just dont change the temp the pcm sees enough to cause trouble. you are still running a temp the the pcm would normally see. now i would agree with your fears if you added a resistor large enough to drop the reading ridiculously low but thats not what this mod is about. i am supporting dropping the infered signal to a level that the pcm would normaly see and allow the motor to run that way. dropping the temp to some crazy low could potentially cause problems. i agree with that. but again, thats not what we are doing with the mod.

as far as the epc, i should have worded that differently, i know thats not what you said,
the bottom line with the tranny is that you need to build it up if you expect it to hold up to any form of modifications.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:59 PM
RADUD
Junior User
How much can a tranny take

I've basically got a brand new E40d, only 20k on it. Would it withstand some stage 1 injectors and a TW chip if I put a shift kit and deeper transmission pan? It wont be taking a whole lot of abuse, mainly highway driving with a few full throttle launches here and there.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RADUD
I've basically got a brand new E40d, only 20k on it. Would it withstand some stage 1 injectors and a TW chip if I put a shift kit and deeper transmission pan? It wont be taking a whole lot of abuse, mainly highway driving with a few full throttle launches here and there.
I doubt it, the shift kit will help some but the internals and the torque converter wont like the injectors and chip. And the deeper pan won't help it last longer.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Joe

Would you agree that the PSD is over fueled at cold start/run?
My biggest issue with a EOT mod is what happens on the cold end of things.
If you add a resistor in series to shift the table. It shifts it acrossed the board. Lets say your running oil temp is 200*F. Now you add the resistor so the PCM will see 170*f. You have shifted the tables by 30*f. Your cold start
has shifted by 30*f of amb temp.

It seems from what i have found that from about 46*f and below the tables dump alot of fuel. More and more as temps drop. The oem tune is rich to begin with to work with the EBPV.

The only time i have seen a PSD wet stack was due to an EOT mod.

You guy's can see for yourself, limp the EOT. Just unplug the EOT at cold start. It will set a temp for starting and running from a preset tune. Rick (action) will have some input on this. He tested inside the shop.

Bill

Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
He tested inside the shop.
I was lucky the fire department didn't show up...

Old 10-22-2008, 06:06 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
but also as you just said, we are only changing it by 30 or so degrees. even on a cold start the pcm will still be seeing a "normal" reading. the mod is not changing it agressivly. if you added a large enough resistor to give the temps that dramatic of a change then i would agree that there would be problems but the normal 4-5 k resistor isnt going to give the overdramtic results that are going to cause damage.