General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

rising price of acetylene refill

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:30 AM
mauicruza
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rising price of acetylene refill

Hello, I'm just expressing my grief for what I just paid to refill my acetylene bottle today. I just paid $88 dollars for the small homeowner size! The refill is $72 plus $4 crating fee and $12 for a hazmat fee. Now I think the last time I paid about $60ish and already I was complaining. I know that the rising fuel prices probably has something to do with it but It's really amazing how expensive everything is getting. I live in Hawaii and that adds to shipping cost but I'm curious to know what you guys pay? I'm wondering if getting a cheap plasma cutter may be a good investment? Thanks

Old 07-20-2008, 07:43 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I switched to propane when the acetylene was $45 a fill... it depends what you are using it for whether switching is a good option for you. I don't braze or such, just cutting torch action.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Are you renting the bottle too? I paid $24 about a month ago to have my owned 50cf bottle filled.
What actual size bottle are you talking about?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:30 PM
mauicruza
Senior User
Not sure the size, bottle measures 7"x25". It is an exchange bottle. If I chose to refill my new, they would have to send it out to the other island and pressure test and it would take a month. I been swapping bottles with them ever since.

Hmm never thought of propane. I've seen it at some of the commercial shops. I to only use it to cut and bend. Do you need a different regulator? What's the pressure setting in relation to the oxygen? Is it much more economical? I think the going rate for propane her on Maui is about $25 for the 30lb. barbecue size.

I'm gonna have to charge alittle when friends come by to cut steel. I hate to do that but with this rising cost on everything it's hard to do favors anymore. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:35 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
They use propane out at my buddy's farm as well. I'll ask him about it.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you only cut and heat propane is the answer. You would I think need a dedecated gauge and reg.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:13 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
We switched over to propane for our shop at work. The only extra equipment we had to get was new tips for the torches. You can use the same regulator you used for acetylene. You will use much less propane than you did acetylene. The drawback is you will also use more oxygen. But oxygen is much less expensive.

It's been over a year since we switched, but we are still using the same propane bottle. We have probably exchanged the oxygen bottle at least twice already during the same time period. When we used acetylene, we usually had to exchange them at pretty near the same time.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:15 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I use a little grill tank, and don't change it out very often been over a year since it got switched. I use the same regulator for it as acetylene, but different tips.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been using propane for over 30 years. Much less $$$$!

Old 07-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ultimately, I would love to get an oxygen separator and run natural gas in the torches. No worries about a refill ever then.
What I meant about owned vs rental tanks is that if it's a rental tank, they sometimes add on a rental fee to the cost of the fill. If you buy a tank, there isn't a rental fee, and you still swap out just the same.
7x25" is about a 50cf, same as mine.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:02 AM
straightsix4x4
Elder User
bigger tips or smaller tips? or are they special? what do you set the regulators to? I usually go about 40psi oxy and 7-8psi acy for cutting thicker metal, what would that correspond to with propane? I don't even have a torch at home but I am seriously considering getting one, if I can use propane instead that would be sweet.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 AM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
My husband uses acetylene for welding, cutting and for heat bluing in his 50 year old historical Arms and Armour business. The last time bottle he bought was $62 for a standard size bottle (he has a lifetime lease ) But the place he buys from generally hasn't had any in a while. They are waiting for their new driver to get his hazmat license.

He found another backup place but their prices are more.

He hasn't tried Propane, but guesses he could. First he needs to get a regulator for a bottle but it does not burn nearly as hot as acetylene. Why he never used it before.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Propane uses a special propane tip, so some torches may not be able to be changed over, the off brand ones that used their own tips. They aren't hard to find though. I run my regulator a bit higher, since propane s still stable, unlike acetylene. Generally, you can buy the torch set, then go get the propane tip. Harris and Victor compatible torches are what you will want to find, as the propane tips are readily available. It doesn't have to be those two brands, just be able to use their tips.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 AM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i tryed propane and didnt like it went back to acetalene. i own my tanks as well and i just exchange them when i need a refill. it cost me 27.50 a couple weeks ago to refill mine