Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New John Wood tranny is in!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
New John Wood tranny is in!

My old transmission toasted the one-two clutches (thread can be seen here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...my-tranny.html ) so I took my Ex down to SoCal and had John build me a new tranny.

Damn did he ever! John built me a PERFECT transmission.

You gotta love a guy who acts like he's in a playground while he builds a transmission, telling you about all the R & D he's done to perfect the 4R100 for us, then showing you his machine work so you understand why his transmission is one of the best built ones available for our rigs.

His customer service is second to none too.

He set up the valve body shift parameters perfectly too. Since it's my wife's daily driver, and our tow-hog for the 10K lb TT we have, John set the valve body up to shift crisply, but as smooth as butter with no jarring effect!

It's definitely not like the valve body set up in my Lightning (same 4R100), which hits hard at WOT!

Damn he's good!

Stewart

Old 12-20-2007, 07:31 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Awesome Stewart!

I can't wait to get my JW trans for my F150HD truck.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 AM
TurtleRacing
PSD Addict
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stewart, how much is a complete tranny from JW, or did he rebuild yours?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TurtleRacing
Stewart, how much is a complete tranny from JW, or did he rebuild yours?
Complete tranny or rebuilding mine, it's still the exact same built tranny.

I know in the past he would rebuild the customers tranny right there in front of them. But we talked on the phone the day before, covering my wants and desires regarding the build, and he had it ready for me the next day to save me some drive time. The drive down to SoCal from my house took me just under 9 hours.

As for price, John builds different levels of transmissions, so you'd be better served to call him and price the tranny out with him.

The guy is a work-a-holic, so if he doesn't answer, leave a message. He'll call you back.

Stewart

Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
As for price, John builds different levels of transmissions, so you'd be better served to call him and price the tranny out with him.
http://jwtt.com/powerstroke-news/we-...smissions.html

Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
Awesome Stewart!

I can't wait to get my JW trans for my F150HD truck.

Diane
Diane, the whole time I was there, I kept bugging John to start making transmissions for the Lightning crowd. I kept talking about it all day, telling him ever since Gregg Evans had Jasper start building his Monster Box, about the only option left that a Lightning owner will consider was a tranny from BTS.

Now, I'm not taking anything away from Brian, because he makes one helluva tranny, but he's also got the market cornered when it comes to the L's because no one else makes a bullet-proof 4R100 for us except him now.

I think my constant jabbering may have had a small effect!

I made a few calls to my Texas buds who have either gone with a turbo setup, or are having a turbo setup built, but they already have, or have deals in place, to use a BTS tranny.

Come this January I'm dropping the engine in my L and swapping in a fully built beast with heads and cams from JJ at Woodbine Motorsports. It'll be topped off with a 2.6 KB blower that will help push my L to produce in excess of 600hp/700torque (top of the food chain for L's still using 2V heads and a blower), but I can't afford another tranny from JW! LOL, my luck!

So sitting in his work shop, I was there when he talked to you (I believe it was actually Jody) about getting a built tranny for your Harley truck.

So you owe me a beer!

Stewart

Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I'm not sure how accurate the prices are on his website anymore. The tranny I was going to get back in August went up by $200 bucks because Ford upped the price on a part by $200 bucks.

I'd give JW a call and price one out with him, if anyone is at all serious.

Stewart

Trending Topics

Old 12-20-2007, 02:14 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
So you owe me a beer!

Stewart

you got it Stewart.

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 12-20-2007, 03:37 PM
SVT03
Junior User
Diane, the whole time I was there, I kept bugging John to start making transmissions for the Lightning crowd. I kept talking about it all day, telling him ever since Gregg Evans had Jasper start building his Monster Box, about the only option left that a Lightning owner will consider was a tranny from BTS.

Now, I'm not taking anything away from Brian, because he makes one helluva tranny, but he's also got the market cornered when it comes to the L's because no one else makes a bullet-proof 4R100 for us except him now.

I think my constant jabbering may have had a small effect!

I made a few calls to my Texas buds who have either gone with a turbo setup, or are having a turbo setup built, but they already have, or have deals in place, to use a BTS tranny.

Come this January I'm dropping the engine in my L and swapping in a fully built beast with heads and cams from JJ at Woodbine Motorsports. It'll be topped off with a 2.6 KB blower that will help push my L to produce in excess of 600hp/700torque (top of the food chain for L's still using 2V heads and a blower), but I can't afford another tranny from JW! LOL, my luck!

So sitting in his work shop, I was there when he talked to you (I believe it was actually Jody) about getting a built tranny for your Harley truck.

So you owe me a beer!

Stewart
Running a lightning I would figure you heard of lentech also. A lot of cobra and lightning guys run his trans. I also believe johnny lightnings truck runs a lentech...

Old 12-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SVT03
Running a lightning I would figure you heard of lentech also. A lot of cobra and lightning guys run his trans. I also believe johnny lightnings truck runs a lentech...
I know of Lentechs reputation from my 5.0 Mustang day's, not from the Lightning world. In fact, other than JL switching over from his Level 10 tranny to the Lentech, I know of no other L owner using a Lentech 4R100.

Truth be told, I didn't realize Lentech had started building 4R100's until JL started using them.

Lentech has no internet "presence" or reputation in the Lightning world. Until recently (and this is not a knock on Art Carr, Level 10, or any other 4R100 builder out there) the only two RELIABLE names that built 4R100 transmissions for the Gen 2 Lightnings was Gregg Evans and his Monster Box, and Brian at BTS.

Now, ever since Jasper took over building the MB, when anyone say's the word "transmission" in a thread on the L forums, the only name that's ever recommended with passion is BTS.

Stewart

Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 AM
SVT03
Junior User
I know of Lentechs reputation from my 5.0 Mustang day's, not from the Lightning world. In fact, other than JL switching over from his Level 10 tranny to the Lentech, I know of no other L owner using a Lentech 4R100.

Truth be told, I didn't realize Lentech had started building 4R100's until JL started using them.

Lentech has no internet "presence" or reputation in the Lightning world. Until recently (and this is not a knock on Art Carr, Level 10, or any other 4R100 builder out there) the only two RELIABLE names that built 4R100 transmissions for the Gen 2 Lightnings was Gregg Evans and his Monster Box, and Brian at BTS.

Now, ever since Jasper took over building the MB, when anyone say's the word "transmission" in a thread on the L forums, the only name that's ever recommended with passion is BTS.

Stewart
I am not saying anything bad about bts or jw trans, just offering another builder that has a good rep. I actually just ordered a bts vb... but I know of many cobra's running over 1000hp through lentechs and you know how much power JL puts through it also. Very good rep in the modular community.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SVT03
//SNIP//
... but I know of many cobra's running over 1000hp through lentechs and you know how much power JL puts through it also. Very good rep in the modular community.
A 1000HP Cobra?? Holy crap!!

I've been out of the mustang scene since the 90s -- when did they start getting that crazy??

Sorry for the