1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

paint buffer

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint buffer

Looking for a paint buffer/polisher what are you using and do you recommend?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:31 AM
lwfox002
Elder User
I have a small Black and Decker orbital to use, unless I have to get serious. Then I break out the Makita two speed buffer/grinder with a wool pad. Just depends. If you do not have any experience, watch out for the buffer with a heavy pad and polish. Can go right through the paint.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:40 AM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i am just using a inexpensive off-shore 7" buffer/polisher i bought from the local tool liquidation place. it is pretty good and so far reliable. it is designed and shaped much like the more expensive brand names but about 1/3 the price.

friend has a Dewalt unit that i have used and it is very nice. lot better quality and very nicely balanced unit comapred to mine, but it is also 3 times as expensive. if you are going to be using it in a professional sitiuation, then the brand name is the only way to go (Dewalt, Mikita, Milwaukee, etc) but if like me, you are only going to use it a few times a year, then if you are like me (cheap) then the non-name brands will probably do good. just make sure that the unit you get has speed adjustment.

also i use the Norton Liquid Ice polishing kit. you get the three different pads (1 wool cutting pad, 1 blue intermediate polish pad and white final polish pad) and the best part is that all three pads use the same polishing compound which is included in the kit. i think i paid $125 for the kit locally here and it produces a very quality finish and very easy to use. they also make a mini kit meant for fine detail work and tight areas that also comes with a mini palm sander for very cheap. i really like this kit. much easier to use then the McQuire kit where you have to use different compounds for each step.

my 2 cents

Rgds
Mike

Old 11-15-2007, 11:40 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
Thanks Fox for the info. Yeah until I get some experience with a real buffer that is my concern. Am looking close at a Porter orbital called the Ultimate Detailing Machine??? Anyone using it?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:25 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe, I bought a porter cable polisher/buffer because it is considered idiot proof. I am using it mainly to get fine scratches out. My local detail shop recommended the Meguiars Solo one liquid system. It is a cut and polish cream that you use with 3 different pads. one is wool for cutting, one is foam polishing pad, and one is a foam finishing pad. The system works great for me! I think the pros would want to use something much faster.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:35 PM
joe hoffman
Senior User
Thanks Wayne,
Idiot proof will be put to the test when I buy one, LOL. Am getting ready to paint my 55 and want to be able to buff it out and not worry about screwing up a fresh paint job. Have worked to hard to get it ready to paint, btw am painting it myself which makes it even worse if I screw it up. Can't blame anyone else. Looks like the Porter #7424 will be the one I go with. Will check with my paint supplier and see what they recommend for new paint polishing products. Thanks guys for the feedback...

Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a cheapo random orbit unit I won at a car show. It works OK at removing light scratchs. You might want to pose this same question on the paint/body forum of this site. I have gotten some good infor from those guys/gals. Good luck, Jag

Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 PM
twise
Senior User
i have a dewalt buffer/polisher and i use transtar buffing compound then wizards swirl remover / polisher. works very well, i only have used it on base coat/ clear coat paint systems though.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:29 AM
kenseth17
Elder User
I have a milwaukee electric, have had it for at least 15 years now. Never a problem with it, but it is a bit heavy. I've been using 3m compounds and glazes, but once used up will be trying the presta system, now that one of the suppliers I see carries it, read so many seem to like the presta.