1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Front End Death Shakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:20 AM
racenitro
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Death Shakes

I read on this issue before, but can't find the issues again. I have replaced all the tie rods, ball joints and track rod bushings on the front of my 97 F-350 4x4 PSD 7.3 CC 5spd.

The only item I have not replaced is the steering column collapsible section(which appears to be worn) and the springs themselves.

Tires are due to be replaced in the near future, but I am not interested in replcing until I can solve this problem.

My truck does NOT have the stabilizer or steering dampner on it. Would either of these possibly solve the problem?

When it happens, the wheels are vibrating back and forth in a steering mode, like the tie rods are bad.

Local Ford Mechanics are not much help. Approaching $1000 in parts along. One thing I wnat to keep and that is why I don't replace the truck is the mono beam front axle. Because of the typr of off road work I do, strip mine hills, like yesterday, I need as tough a front as possible.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:33 AM
RocknXJ
Senior User
If the tires are unbalanced or out of round, or if the tread is seperating, that could cause DW. Also, if the tires are marginal the stabilizer shock could be enough to eliminate the problem. Assuming your alignment is correct.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
ajbeiler
Senior User
does it do this all the time or on one spot. my father had the same thing happen it was scary i will call him and find out what it was. p.s does it shake the hell out of the truck at one speed and then go away. i hope i can be some help don't take my word but i think it was his upper ball joint on the pasanger side not for sure though.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well tires can cause it, as well as a bad alignment. you have pretty well covered most of the basics. Also I have heard a few people say that their steering gear was shoot cause the Death wobble. If you have any parts that are questionable I would replace those. The ball joints and tie rods shouldn't have been replaced if they weren't loose. If they were loose they needed to be done anyway.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:10 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
the most comon cause for this concern is when you add over sized tires, but even on stock sizes it can occur, any full size truck should have a stabilizer on it, up to 33's needs one anything bigger should have two, but in any case if your tires are cupped it can happen much more violently, to the point that you cant control the trucks foreward motion and have to almost completely stop before it goes away, tires are the number one cause of it but adjusting your sector shaft is always a good idea, just dont go too tight or it will bind on you

Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 PM
racenitro
Mountain Pass
I have the correct tires on the truck. I suspect that it is a combination of several issues. 1: The collapsable section of the steering column has play in it...2: the tires are due to be repalced...and 3: maybe the alignment is not correct after the tierod replacement and maybe I should put a steering stabilizer on the truck. I have had numerous solid front axle 4x4's. Never had a stabilizer on any and this is the first to have any issues other than worn U-joints or shaft bearings. I have been using the racing approach..one item at a time... I am going to start with the stabilizer. Don't want to do the tires and still have the shakes cause premature wear. If stabilizer does not help, next will be replacing the column collapsable section...then have it realigned again and finally the tires.

What advantages does a sway bar provide? Have several friends with similar 97's and they all have sway bars. All also have the stabilizer shock. Nonw have the shakes.

Thanks for the input.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
DAVID'S97F250HD
Posting Guru
I had pulled a dampner off my jep in the day and the steering was heavly affected by the road condition.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:49 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
the sway bar only aids in turns to prevent excessive lean, no affect on your concern,
why are your tires due for replacement? cupped or just no tread left? if the alignment is that far off then you would definatly notice severe pull or a visible tire lean to cause the shakes. its still a good idea to get the alignment done for the sake of the cost of tires but this really shouldnt cause the shakes, i have 35's on my truck and i bent my drivers side tie rod severely, to the point it was impossible to drive and i had no shakes, the colloapsible shaft all have play in them if you grab it at the joint, the all have a good bit of wobble even on a brand new one

Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 AM
racenitro
Mountain Pass
Normal wear on tire. No cupping or uneven wear. Does not pull one way or the other unless on high crown road.

I would love to know the toe in angle so I can check it myself. Is there a site that has fron end specs for this truck so I can check it.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
ideal toe in is -.05 in my opinion -.1 if you really want to,

Old 07-14-2007, 05:32 PM
otpracer100
Senior User
I had death wobble on mine when I bought it. It would only do it under certain conditions if i Hit a bump just right. It would scare the crap out of me. I had stock sized tires that were well worn. I put on new rubber 285-75r16 and the wobble is no longer. I'm guessing it was the tires being worn that was the culprit. Also I had no stabilizer on the truck. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:44 PM
ajbeiler
Senior User
ok well i just got off the phone with my dad and he said one of his tie rods wore the spindle hole were the tie rod conected to the spindle. the tie rod was still good inside but the shaft was bad. he had to replace the spindle and the tie rod hope your problem is the tire and if not hope this helps. i would check asap if i were you. good luck

Old 07-14-2007, 10:14 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
You know what, I would love to give you some input on this. But you'd probably break a bolt and go flingin' off the handle at me again. And until I get an appology my advice is this.....Throw LOTS of money at it, that always works. Other people may have forgotten, but I haven't. Good F-ing luck.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:15 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
if that was his case when you jack it up and check the ft end you would have play in the steering, 9 times out of 10 its tires causeing it, easiest fix is add the stabilizer, and since the tires are balled anyway just put the new ones on and be done with it, if it hasnt been aligned in a while do it too, most places are advertising a free alignment check with a tire purchase now and firestone is advertising 265\75\16's for 100 bucks a piece

Old 07-14-2007, 11:47 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by RubberDuck
You know what, I would love to give you some input on this. But you'd probably break a bolt and go flingin' off the handle at me again. And until I get an appology my advice is this.....Throw LOTS of money at it, that always works. Other people may have forgotten, but I haven't. Good F-ing luck.
Good memory Cody!
would be nice to see a response to that thread!

Quick Reply: Front End Death Shakes