1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Front End Death Shakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know sometimes I am partial to the fella's from the "old School" 'cause they have knowledge that we can't buy or learn in any school. Only from the true teachers of the old school. I HIGHLY respect the old school guys but in the same breath, people, even the younger ones, can be stuborn. Nitro I am sure you are a fine person especially since I see you like cub cadets they are great and bring great joy and fun to many but maybe you should reason with some of these guys they are only here to help and if they can't they will "Do all they can do". Remember that? I am not sure of your age but if you are a senior as you stated I still respect you for what we have in this country because you more than likely made a big contribution and I thank you for that. But remember we are all PROUD Americans and should stand together reguardless of our differences. Maybe Rubber will lighten up with his language and we can all be proud Americans together. GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL WHO PROTECT HER.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Randy Pederson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Appologize

Rubber Duck, I read the thread ... You are absolutely right . He owes you an appology, period.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Neal, I think that was very well said. And thank you for it. I do appologize for the language. When I responded this morning, which is the end of my work day, I was fried. So immediately I was mad. I don't hold grudges against people, but I never forget the ones that hold them against me. I said it before and I'll say it again. I really think he was just venting over an unfortunate event. When you are in a project that deep and all the sudden it has to stop because of a broken bolt, sure who wouldn't be mad? We've all been there. But I truely believe I was not the cause of it. And he thought I was, and flamed me for it. I never retalliated against it, but instead stayed cool and offered a solution. He never responded and left me hanging. That's what bothers me most. As far as I'm concerned, I'm nothing special on this forum. There are tons of guys that have contributed WAY more than I have, and are alot smarter than me. But I give the most honest opinions and correct solutions to the best of my ability. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to tell you. So I appologize for the swearing as that is not what this forum is about. I was wrong to do that. And no matter the outcome of this, short of being kicked off, I will continue to help everyone to the best of my ability. But until he admits that it was not my fault, and or appologizes for flaming me, I will not help him, nor will I let him forget. He may "let it roll off his back" But I don't, I actually care what people think of me. Sure, he's right when he says you can't win them all. That's true, but this is not one of those situations. This can be fixed, all he has to do is help me fix it and we'll be done with it.

Aj, you are right. This is not what needs to happen on these pages. But if you let people slap you in the face for no reason, why wouldn't the next person? This forum is my home, and I refuse to let someone say things like that to me without some kind of repercussion, or resolve. It just isn't right. But that's just my opinion.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

For everyone reading this thread, I have big news!!!! racenitro and myself have put this whole mess to rest off line from the open forums. After a lengthy discussion with him, we both admitted our faults and agreed that we should have expressed our opinions differently, i.e. with cooler heads. I myself would rather not get into the details of what he and I talked about, and just let it go at that. That way I think we can all just let this go. And in the end, he did get his wobble fixed, and the best part of all, he told me what happens to the washer when it falls off. I'll step aside and let him tell you the details of both. And reguardless of which side of the fence everyone was on, I would like to ask that we extend him every courtesy of your knowledge, as I will do the same. So lets go back to doing what we all do best, and I think you will agree racenitro, Frank...is and will be a valuable asset to this community.

RubberDuck OUT!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 AM
ajbeiler
Senior User
i agree with you duck. you have to try your best to keep this place the best.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:17 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
well that's good to hear. i'm glad everything finally got worked out. so where does the washer fall?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Duck I agree with everything you just said and respect you for it. I am glad the "troubled waters" are under the bridge and we are smooth sailing now. Now we can get back to what we all do best, help each other. I have learned a terrific amount if info here and thoroughly enjoy this place alot. Congratulations to both of you I respect you both, that was the proper and gentlemanly thing to do. Now lets go have fun, post away.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:26 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Cody and Frank excellent to hear that you worked things out. It takes guts to do that. Thank you.
Now lets hear about the wobble and that stupid washer!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 AM
racenitro
Mountain Pass
The washer stayes with the gear..Since it is thick, it will NOT slip past the gear. After learning by taking the cover off, I do believe it could be retrieved with a magnet. Will not guarantee that since I did not do it that way, but from the experience, I suspect that if it happened again, I would try using the magnet first before taking the cover off. I might caution, that if the gear is loose, it may **** enough to allow he washer to pass. Did not check it out, but something to keep in mind if the washer is dropped in the opening while attempting to insert the bolt. May want to make sure the gear is firmly on the pump shaft before attempting to insert the bolt/washer combo.

Rubberduck's instructions were accurate except the torque bit. He tells me he has added a cautionary bit of info regarding this. If you do break the bolt...I have several dozen as it was cheaper to buy a box of them then one. Local ford dealer has some on his shelf also now...I gave them to the parts guy.

As to the issue..Rubberduck said all that needs to be said!

FSM

PS:

Forgot about the shakes.

I put a shock dampner/stabilizer on that ford did not put on, or was not wanted by original owner and have solved the problem. New tires on their way. I still am going to address the steering sector. I don't like the play in it. Going to see if i can pess it out first, if not, will replace with new. I am going to try and pess on the two groves on the outside part of the sector and see if that will take up most of the play. I still want it to slip.

Last edited by racenitro; 07-17-2007 at 11:50 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wow... nice to know where that bolt goes. i hope that doesn't happen to cody and i when we do my HPOP. that is gonna be a pain w/ the HPOP mod that we have to do since mine is a '95 and all. that is gonna be one heck of an all nighter right there.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:55 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Great to hear Racenitro! thanks for getting together with Cody and for posting your info.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Congrats on the shake fix. That was a strange problem though. Glad it is all better. I will have to keep the washer idea in mind when I do mine. Thanx for the posts.

P.S. Sorry we got off topic.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
DAVID'S97F250HD
Posting Guru
way to go guys and congrats on the fix Raci

Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
you wont get the play out of that shaft, a brand new one will have the same play, its in the design, there is an aftermarket shaft availible but the name is stuck on the tip of my tongue, it wont come off

Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

c00n, I believe it's borgeson you are thinking of. Or flaming river. Those are the only two aftermarket steering shafts I can think of. Borgeson with the ujoint design is better in my opinion. And not too bad on prices.

Frank, I also had a thought this morning that I didn't have time to get out. Didn't you say your truck has like 300k on it? It brings to mind somthing else that will cause the death wobble. While you may have not lifted your truck, as heavy as it is, (you said 11k) right? Well, maybe the front springs are starting to sag a bit, thus changing the caster angle just enough to make it wobble. It's a long shot, but a possibility.

Quick Reply: Front End Death Shakes