1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Front End Death Shakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 PM
racenitro
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strokin
It really is not that bad. The original time was less than 4 hours...
Do make sure you get the proper gasket sealer for the cover plate. A little pricey from ford due to having to buy such a big amount...gut it does the job.
95 should be nearly the same as my 97...

Coonhunter....so you are telling me that the play is normal....I have a friend with a 97 similar to mine and it does not have as much play..you can hear it in the column...

Rubberduck...
I believe you are correct about the springs beginning to sag....I already have a different set.. with 3 leaves as opposed to the two on it now... I also have a 10 spring pack I was going to try just to see what happens.
I already have added 6 leaves to the rear.

I wish I did not need all the equipment all the time....Have not put the Generator back on because of the 350 extra pounds.

So does the U-joint setup replace the slip section?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
No, the ujoint section doesn't replace the slip part, just the rag joint and where it connects to the column. Here's a thought, doesn't these shafts come with little plastic tabs in them to keep them from rattling? Wasn't there a couple of holes where it slips?????? For some reason I keep thinking that. Maybe the plastic is worn out on yours and not your friends..........Hmmmmm I think there is something like that, but I can't remember what. Might check that.

The problem with doing Travis' hpop is that the 95's have the drain back issue that has to be fixed in the front cover. That's why his is gonna take a little longer. But I promise, we'll put your info to good use when we are handling that washer. LOL

As far as the springs, I'd bet that had something to do with it. With our big mud racing trucks, we couldn't always get the pinion angles we wanted, so we cheated the caster. And it always gave us the wobble. But we knew what was causing it, and since we aren't on the street with them, we let it go. I'd say put the springs in and see how it acts for sure. You may even take the dampner off just to see. That would be some good info too.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:15 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark, but seeing that you said you modified the front spring pack I thought I would throw it out there. How much room do you have between the bumpstops and the tops of the springs? I ask because depending on how much the springs have lifted the front end you may be getting into bumpsteer territory.

I would also say that with as much weight as you are truckin around. A stabilizer will definately help.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 AM
racenitro
Mountain Pass
Rubber....
Thanks...I will look this weekend... I don't like the free-play...but maybe that busing will take it up. thanks

Mike....
Did not modify yet... but..
Probably may contribute some...especially since it has gradually gotten worse...

I do occasionally hear a noise that leads me to think that the back of the spring is moving in the hanger.

Now that I have put a stabilizer shock on, I will look at the springs an probably replace...

Thanks

Last edited by racenitro; 07-19-2007 at 06:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-19-2007, 10:09 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
no need to snap dude, you didnt say you compared your shaft to another truck, all i was doing is try to save you time and money, all i said was a brand new shaft will still have a good bit of play in it, and rubber, it was flaming river that was on the tip of the tongue, thanks

Old 07-21-2007, 10:53 PM
racenitro
Mountain Pass
Coonhunter:
I wasn't snapping...I was simply adding more info in addition to what you said....I was simply saying that there apepars to be more play in mine than in another... I don't understand how you read that as snapping....I was just clarifying why I felt hat there might be too much play...your info was noted and I relooked at the shaft today in light of what you said to see If you may be correct.... I don't want to spend more than I have to... maybe a "?" after the "normal" would better show what I intended....

After looking closely at the shaft, I still believe it may be worn. It sgs quite a bit as well as having the free pay when rotating the steering wheel.

How much steering wheel rotation is there if a new sector is used?

Old 07-21-2007, 11:06 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i just replaced mine and there was about 2" of play each way, with the new one it feels like a new truck. about 6 months ago i adjusted the slack out of the box and it felt nice and tight then. but then about 2 months ago my powersteering pump started to die and that is what finally killed the intermediate shaft. the truck drives like new again.

i got mine at powerstrokeshop dot com it was about $100 if i remember correctly

Old 07-21-2007, 11:20 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
not startin anything, just saying the way you worded the portion to me was "snappy" thats all, just makin sure we're on the same page, nothing meant by it
the steering rotaion depends on not only the shaft and tie-rods but also dont forget the tires as well, depending on load rating and overall size you'll get some sidewall flex, take that into consideration when checking it, there is no ford spec for a steering wheel freeplay but a little is normal, granted if your wheel can move from 10 to 2 with no truck response then you have a good bit ov wear, running the 35's on a "d" rating and 40 psi(including sidewall flex) i get less then 11 to 1 oclock in the wheel, i guess a total of around an inch or 2 of play in the wheel, i have over 220k and adjusted my gear box and got the slop down to that, it drives nice with a good response

Old 07-25-2007, 06:20 PM
racenitro
Mountain Pass
coonhunter
Thanks...
I believe I need to check the parts out...I do have a little more than what you are finding in yours....
The stabilizer steering shock makes the world of differenence...Went on a 1000 mile jaunt monday and had zero problems...
Also put new tires on now that the problem is solved....
Appreciate the input from all and all the help.

By the way...I did change the clutch lever . Was not as hard a problem as I envisioned. Tok some polish engineering(I can say that...I am polish) to looses the lever and then pried it off. No way to put a puller on it..

Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
ah i assume yours was egged a bit and popped off?? nothing like a bit of elbow grease to fix that one