Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

"0 miles to Empty"

Old 10-05-2006, 09:08 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
CAFordDude has a great reputation on FTE.CAFordDude has a great reputation on FTE.CAFordDude has a great reputation on FTE.CAFordDude has a great reputation on FTE.CAFordDude has a great reputation on FTE.
"0 miles to Empty"

I have seen a number of threads here about the digital display or "lie o meter" as some refer to it in regards to MPG etc... that it displays.

Well today I ALMOST found out the hard way that when it displays "0 miles to E" it is pretty dead on accurate. I saw it counting down miles as I was driving and assumed that there was a reserve even after it said 0 miles. I was getting off the freeway when it stuttered once...and then twice and then a third time. Luckily I crested the top of the off ramp, rolled a right on a green and then into the local gas station.

I don't know exactly how the computer figures out all that stuff but I am now a FIRM believer in that little digital display and all it's information.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:43 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
Well Dude, you're probably one of the few believers in that thing. I would love to be able to trust it, but when mine says I have 640 miles to empty, when I know at best I can get 530 miles to a tank, I don't trust it on bit. Just my $.02

Old 10-06-2006, 03:21 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.
I've always read that the Miles To Empty is pretty darn accurate. It's the Avg. MPG that tends to not be spot on, especially if you have a tuner of any sort. For example, DP-Tuner on the 7.3L tends to make the overhead display just about 3mpg over what you'll find when you hand calculate.

I trust the Miles to Empty pretty firmly, though.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:58 AM
350z
Elder User
350z is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine has been right a couple of times after highway driving , however it normally takes 25 of the 29 gallons that the tank holds when reading "0", meaning that theres still 4 gallons left in the tank .

Old 10-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Lonewolftx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Lonewolftx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Talking I agree . . .

I have rolled an additional 7 to 10 miles after it has read empty. Thankfully on a level surface vs. up & down. That way it can suck up the last of it from the bottom of the middle of the tank where the low spot & pick up are.

Yeah, miles to empty is prety acurate, Now that I Harpooned we'll see if it learns the new capacity.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:57 AM
wparente
Junior User
wparente is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would agree that on a full tank it's questionable, but the last 25 miles are darn close. I personally ran out around 4 miles after it went to 0 miles left.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Casey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by mongo75
I don't trust it on bit. Just my $.02
1999 F-350 Lariat Dually 4x4 CC LB 7.3L AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow ex., Diablosport tuner SEMPER FI ! !
I bolded why you can't trust yours. The mileage calculation was done with a stock truck. If you add a tuner that calibration is no good and you will get funny results.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 PM
petekroop
New User
petekroop is starting off with a positive reputation.
miles to MT is garbage

I recently ran out of gas because I believed the miles to MT. Just before the truck died it flashed 10 miles to E, then counted down to 2 in seconds. Leaving me high and dry on the Interstate.
F150 stock Lariat, 2009, 5.4, pulling a travel tailer. Is there some way to reset and or calibrate this thing? If not, how about just turning it off?

Last edited by petekroop; 07-23-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: add date
Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
sandmanf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
if your running a diesel and let it run out your taking a chance on wiping out your injector o rings. dont let em run low guys.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:59 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
5.4L to Freedom has a good reputation on FTE.5.4L to Freedom has a good reputation on FTE.5.4L to Freedom has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by mongo75 View Post
Well Dude, you're probably one of the few believers in that thing. I would love to be able to trust it, but when mine says I have 640 miles to empty, when I know at best I can get 530 miles to a tank, I don't trust it on bit. Just my $.02
I've spent a lot of time playing with this thing and trying to figure out how exactly it works... mine gives bogus numbers as well.

After much observation I have determined its a function of your avg. economy and your current fuel consumption rate. My low fuel light comes on when I have a range of 50 miles according to lie-o-meter, however depending on my driving style determines how long it takes.

It does not subtract mile-for-mile but seems to say 'okay you should have 50 miles left' but then it adjusts itself to accordingly to give a reading all the way to empty.

I had it down to 7 once and drove another mile to the gas station and put in 35 gallons. Depending on what I read I have somewhere between a 38-43 gallon tank.

Moral of the story, that little lie-o-meter is as accurate as a MI weatherman. The only time it is accurate is at the last minute or after the fact. Thus treat it as if it was a MI weatherman... if it says once thing, just use it as a guestimate... from experience, when it says 30 miles left thats ur cue to get gas.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 PM
edjunior
Posting Guru
edjunior is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.edjunior is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, like so many other things, you're mileage may vary! I kinda got stuck once and got mine down to 9 miles to empty. I pulled into the station, and I was able to put 39 gallons in my 38 gallon tank. I don't intend to ever let it get that low again. But, there's my story.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
I have a rhetorical question: Why are you running it that low?

Personally, I run mine until the low-fuel light is on, and sometimes even a bit after. I don't have the lie-o-meter to rely on to tell me to get gas

I can understand being in a sticky situation where there's no gas station around, or diesel for that matter, but...

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 PM
edjunior
Posting Guru
edjunior is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.edjunior is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, for me, like I said, I had a brain fart and kinda let my mind wander. I normally only let it get to a quarter of a tank, if that. For one thing, too many of the stations around here still have that stupid $75.00 limit on my card. But otherwise, I just don't like letting it get too low. I learned my lesson...won't do it again.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine has been pretty accurate, within 1/10MPG when calculated. BTW, it is not a good idea to run the truck below 1/4 tank... gas or diesel, but especially diesels. It is so hard on the fuel system, I don't really understand why people run these trucks down to next to nothing. End of lecture.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 PM
brickie
Postmaster
brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
I have a rhetorical question: Why are you running it that low?

Personally, I run mine until the low-fuel light is on, and sometimes even a bit after. I don't have the lie-o-meter to rely on to tell me to get gas

I can understand being in a sticky situation where there's no gas station around, or diesel for that matter, but...
I am with you on this one.When the light comes on I plan a fuel stop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "0 miles to Empty"

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.