1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"0 miles to Empty"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by petekroop
Is there some way to reset and or calibrate this thing? If not, how about just turning it off?
Well, you could always stop looking at it.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 PM
frozenpoet
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My manual say I have a 37 gallon tank but the most I've put in is 33. Will the needle go all the way down to where it rest when the truck is turned off?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 AM
tigman_tim
Freshman User
Since, I've had the gas gage go out!!
I always reset my trip-o-meter when I fill up. That way I have a three vote test on what the actual distance to empty is.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Petekroop,
You can reset the OHC by pressing the two buttons at the same time and letting go This will zero it out, and should be done every time you fill up, to get the most accurate reading

Old 07-24-2010, 11:16 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Still I have to wonder why so many of you are using the "low fuel" light as a "fuel up" light? This is a last warning to those who are not that observant and overlook a sinking gauge needle, so as to say "hey, here is a bright light, NOW are you gonna fill me up???". Thing is that running the vehicle, any vehicle, below 1/4 tank is really unhealthy for the fuel system. This is especially true on the diesel engines, but gasoline is no exception either. It does not cost any more to fuel up whenever it gets to 1/4 tank than it does to fuel up every time you get "hobble to the station" empty- it all comes out to the same mileage basically, and will save you costly fuel system (pump, injectors, etc.) repairs in the long run. I just don't understand it, unless it is just laziness, and even at that, fueling up would only cause a handful of additional stops per year. Just don't get it. I have seen too many injector and fuel pump failures due to this practice to do that to my vehicles, personally.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
I go no lower than 1/2 tank lets me cry less at the pumps...came from my plow job thats how much gas it takes..allways top off in winter

Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys remind me of my wife.... Run the fuel down to below empty on the gauge, drive it home past 3 stations and say, "Can you go fill up my car? It's almost out of gas."

I guess if you don't mind walking then you can keep running out of fuel. I have a co-worker like that. He's walked twice in the last year. Boggles my mind because it's obviously a conscious decision to push the limits.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:50 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Still I have to wonder why so many of you are using the "low fuel" light as a "fuel up" light? This is a last warning to those who are not that observant and overlook a sinking gauge needle, so as to say "hey, here is a bright light, NOW are you gonna fill me up???". Thing is that running the vehicle, any vehicle, below 1/4 tank is really unhealthy for the fuel system. This is especially true on the diesel engines, but gasoline is no exception either. It does not cost any more to fuel up whenever it gets to 1/4 tank than it does to fuel up every time you get "hobble to the station" empty- it all comes out to the same mileage basically, and will save you costly fuel system (pump, injectors, etc.) repairs in the long run. I just don't understand it, unless it is just laziness, and even at that, fueling up would only cause a handful of additional stops per year. Just don't get it. I have seen too many injector and fuel pump failures due to this practice to do that to my vehicles, personally.
Thanks for your concern for my fuel system and engine.I have a fuel pressure gauge and three filters to keep the fuel clean and air free.The difference between a quarter tank and the light is over a 100k so that adds up on long road trips.I also add a one liter mix of 2 stroke and diesel kleen to each fill up (usually 125-30 liters to the neck of the filler tube)and it is much easier to add a liter than a portion of a liter leaving a container of stink in the truck for a 1000k or more waiting to crush it with tools and such.So I got my chit figured in how it works best for me and don't think you should worry too much.I have never run out of fuel in any vehicle ever in my life and don't plan to start now.Calling me lazy will get a response like this every time.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:26 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
now that ethanol is more present in gasoline it isn't a good idea to run a little and top off.

Ethanol is hydrophilic, and will combine with moisture in the air... It's better to run as much fuel out of the tank as you can so it has less time in your tank to turn bad. The longer it sits, the nastier it gets, and the faster it will stop up your fuel filters.

I run mine to around 10 to E, and even then I've never put more than 33 gallons into a 38 gallon tank.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by brickie
Thanks for your concern for my fuel system and engine.I have a fuel pressure gauge and three filters to keep the fuel clean and air free.The difference between a quarter tank and the light is over a 100k so that adds up on long road trips.I also add a one liter mix of 2 stroke and diesel kleen to each fill up (usually 125-30 liters to the neck of the filler tube)and it is much easier to add a liter than a portion of a liter leaving a container of stink in the truck for a 1000k or more waiting to crush it with tools and such.So I got my chit figured in how it works best for me and don't think you should worry too much.I have never run out of fuel in any vehicle ever in my life and don't plan to start now.Calling me lazy will get a response like this every time.
First of all, I did not call you lazy. What I said was that laziness is the ONLY reason I could see as not filling up when you get to 1/4 tank. I honestly don't care what you do to your truck, it is not mine afterall it is yours. I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. I think it is a stupid practice, and I have seen a lot of damaged pumps and injectors due to constant strain from low fuel. Not saying you are stupid, but the practice is stupid. Sorry if you get offended, but it is true. There are absolutely no benefits from this, and a lot at risk. Gauges do not protect the engine, they only allow you to monitor what is going on. If air is sucked up into the fuel system, it can cause strain/damage regardless of how well you may monitor the truck. Especially on a diesel, this is one of the worst things that somebody can do. Like I said though, I really couldn't care less what you do to your truck. It is your property, not mine, but don't go getting all offended when I make a generic statement in regards to this practice that was simply meant to inform others based on my several years of experience.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
My lie-o-meter is full of it.......only the compass is close to being right
My F250 would run out of fuel at about the time the low fuel light would come on...I found out later that the pickup fell off and was rolling around in the tank.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:50 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Alright Alright I'll give you the rationale behind the low fuel light always being on. I want you to hear it from the low fuel light king (i'm honestly surprised it hasn't burnt out yet) as to why this happens.

See once upon a time long long ago gas was actually cheap. I could fill my truck for around $50 and it was full. Then this funny thing happened and gas got more expensive, and even more expensive, and at one point in time I signed my first born and left ******** away for 1/4 tank at $4.65/ gallon.

Now when you get paid on Friday, you put gas in on Friday. Then you drive to and from work all week, and the closer to pay day the less money to sacrifice to the gas monster. So around Tuesday when the light comes on, I know I have at least 60 miles. At that point i keep going, then when i start to doubt i have gas to get home I throw in $10-15, and the needle on the gauge dont move, but I know I should have at least another 40 miles. Thus the only days the low fuel light is off is pay day thru monday.

Its a real downer but after 62K miles of this habit, the low fuel light is still burning bright, I have excellent fuel pressure, the only real downer is the truck bounces like hell

Old 07-24-2010, 05:13 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
now that ethanol is more present in gasoline it isn't a good idea to run a little and top off.

Ethanol is hydrophilic, and will combine with moisture in the air... It's better to run as much fuel out of the tank as you can so it has less time in your tank to turn bad. The longer it sits, the nastier it gets, and the faster it will stop up your fuel filters.

I run mine to around 10 to E, and even then I've never put more than 33 gallons into a 38 gallon tank.
I completely agree.

By the way, I didn't mean to pick on anyone's filling habits I regularly let mine go down to where the light is on, but that's around-town where there's a gas station on every corner. If I'm on long highway trips, even with my little 28 gallon tank, I usually fill at the first station I find when it approaches 1/4 tank left.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
[quote=5.4L to Freedom;9145143 Thus the only days the low fuel light is off is pay day thru monday. [/quote]

Old 07-24-2010, 06:05 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
Now when you get paid on Friday, you put gas in on Friday. Then you drive to and from work all week, and the closer to pay day the less money to sacrifice to the gas monster....Thus the only days the low fuel light is off is pay day thru monday.
I can certainly understand that. Just running the truck down to empty for the crap of it I don't, but financially I can definitely see the point.

Quick Reply: "0 miles to Empty"