Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

"0 miles to Empty"

Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM
smotrs
Elder User
smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
I have noticed where I fill up that a lot of people, mostly diesels, fill up with the engine running. The meter does not reset if you do that. Also the mpg does not reset unless you push both buttons together to reset it at fillup. If you have been driving around town, fill up, do not reset the mpg meter, then drive on the highway, the miles to empty will always be way off. Same thing going the other way. If you fill up with the key off and think to reset the meter at fillup, it should be fairly close to accurate.
Yep,
Distance to empty (DTE)
Selecting this function from the INFO MENU estimates approximately how far you can drive with the fuel remaining in your tank under normal driving conditions. Remember to turn the ignition off when refueling to allow this feature to correctly detect the added fuel.
Originally Posted by a57chevy43 View Post
I think the Mile to empty is based off the average mpg and fuel level.
And yep,
DTE is calculated using a running average fuel economy, which is based on your recent driving history of 500 miles (800 km). This value is not the same as the average fuel economy display. The running average fuel economy is reinitialized to a factory default value if the battery is disconnected.
Per the manual.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
bunklash
Elder User
bunklash is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm wanting to do the "harpoon" mod, this thread was revived in a timely fashion for me. Right now my Li-O-Meter is saying 20 miles to MT, so I guess I'm getting at the right level. Just can't make up my mind if I want to try tilting the bed, or dropping the tank. I'll be doing it solo, so think the bed lift will be easier.....if I can get the bolts loose!!
Anyway, thanks as always for good info.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:30 PM
smotrs
Elder User
smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
All the threads I've read show that dropping the tank will be much easier, especially if you have a floor jack. Just be sure to put a piece of wood the length of the tank to use between the tank and jack or you can damage the sending unit.

Also, there's a thread on another site where the OP only cut the smaller of the two hoses that go into the tank and got the same results as those cutting both. So it appears that only the one hose need be cut.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
BostonX73
Senior User
BostonX73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pulling the trailer loaded one night about 2am in the middle of nowhere NY. Had been getting a steady 13mpg by the scangauge and was looking at service stations. at about a half tank left the miles to empty gave me a 100 mile cushion on the station that I knew was open when we got back to civilization. I figured that might end up being 50 when we got there, but still good enough. at 100 miles out from the station we were at 50 extra miles. the last 100 miles used up the buffer and I was showing 0 miles left for the last 12 miles. ended up putting in 45 gallons.
mine is impacted by weather a lot too. I've started on a cold morning without the low fuel light on and it will tell me 35 miles left on the tank. drive 15 minutes and shut it down. come back 10 minutes later and I have 95 miles till empty.
so whenever possible, I don't let mine get to the light, or fill it up quickly after.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 PM
judgejp
New User
judgejp is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a 97 f350, 2006 f250, 2000 Expedition, and now have a 2011 gas f250. All three of these trucks consistintly had the low fuel light go on with 75 miles of gas left in the tank (at 15 mpg) or 5 gallons. The 2011 f250 fuel light goes on between 25-35 miles to empty and will go approx 40 miles after the "0 miles to empty". it then takes 36 gallons of gas. I know this because I tested all these trucks multiple times with a gas can in the back and all have been remarkably similar. Why? because i dont believe the idiot lights and want to know the real numbers. That being said if i add 75 miles it seems pretty accurate. I had over 150000 miles on the old trucks and over 200000 on the expedition with no gas problems.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:29 AM
DavidB
Elder User
DavidB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DavidB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Angle when parked.

Another thing to consider is how level the truck was when parked. Even a small angle can change the reading for the sender unit in the tank. When you start the truck, the fuel guage, and the miles to empty, will reflect the fuel detected by the fuel sending unit at whatever angle the truck was on when parked.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
MeŠiCX
Freshman User
MeŠiCX is starting off with a positive reputation.
My '05 Explorer Lmtd consistantly had 2.5 gallons when "0 miles to E" showed up. My new to me '08 Expedition Lmtd has had 3.5 gal remaining on the last 10 fillups. Far from accurate.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
RUFFSTUFF is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MeŠiCX View Post
My '05 Explorer Lmtd consistantly had 2.5 gallons when "0 miles to E" showed up. My new to me '08 Expedition Lmtd has had 3.5 gal remaining on the last 10 fillups. Far from accurate.

Would you be happier if the truck shut off when you hit 0?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 PM
knlhunt2000
New User
knlhunt2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has anyone had theirs stay at 999? I filled up one day and it now stays at 999 miles till empty. Any ideas?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM
MeŠiCX
Freshman User
MeŠiCX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Would you be happier if the truck shut off when you hit 0?
Yes then I wouldn't let it hit 0! Who wouldn't like to get a bit more mileage out of their tank of gas??

Old 01-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Wildfire532FB
Senior User
Wildfire532FB is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've driven on 0 miles for 5 miles haha.
Also when i fill it up and it says 10 miles i still have 3 gallons of fuel left unless my tank isn't a 30 gallon tank.
EDIT: My 96 Explorer i went 20 miles on 0 once.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Wildfire532FB
Senior User
Originally Posted by bunklash View Post
I'm wanting to do the "harpoon" mod, this thread was revived in a timely fashion for me. Right now my Li-O-Meter is saying 20 miles to MT, so I guess I'm getting at the right level. Just can't make up my mind if I want to try tilting the bed, or dropping the tank. I'll be doing it solo, so think the bed lift will be easier.....if I can get the bolts loose!!
Anyway, thanks as always for good info.
What does this Harpoon mod do?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:29 PM
smotrs
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wildfire532FB View Post
What does this Harpoon mod do?
In a nutshell, it lets you fill up ALL the way before the pump turns off. You no longer have to sit there and slowing fill up to get that last 5 gallons or so.

Do a search, there are a number of step by steps that will show you how to do it.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Wildfire532FB
Senior User
Interesting. So it just needs something to let the air escape out of the tank and by cutting a house will allow that

Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 AM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
RUFFSTUFF is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MeŠiCX View Post
Yes then I wouldn't let it hit 0! Who wouldn't like to get a bit more mileage out of their tank of gas??
Makes me wonder how people without MTE estimators get by...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "0 miles to Empty"

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.