1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"0 miles to Empty"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
Alright Alright I'll give you the rationale behind the low fuel light always being on. I want you to hear it from the low fuel light king (i'm honestly surprised it hasn't burnt out yet) as to why this happens.

See once upon a time long long ago gas was actually cheap. I could fill my truck for around $50 and it was full. Then this funny thing happened and gas got more expensive, and even more expensive, and at one point in time I signed my first born and left ******** away for 1/4 tank at $4.65/ gallon.

Now when you get paid on Friday, you put gas in on Friday. Then you drive to and from work all week, and the closer to pay day the less money to sacrifice to the gas monster. So around Tuesday when the light comes on, I know I have at least 60 miles. At that point i keep going, then when i start to doubt i have gas to get home I throw in $10-15, and the needle on the gauge dont move, but I know I should have at least another 40 miles. Thus the only days the low fuel light is off is pay day thru monday.

Its a real downer but after 62K miles of this habit, the low fuel light is still burning bright, I have excellent fuel pressure, the only real downer is the truck bounces like hell
Because it's not on the front of a Chevy

Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
I've got 3 SD so I'll talk about all three.

My 01 Lariat, When it was newer (Stock, 100,000 miles or less) the Low Fuel light will come with 9 gallons left in the tank. The 38 Gallon Tank will hold 42.8 Gallons to the top of the filler tube. I know this from running it out one time and coasting to a filling station. If the pumps would have been 5 feet more I would have had to push it 4 of those feet. I had 5 gallons in a fuel Jug in the back but I was seeing just how many miles I could get on one tank. (749 miles)

When it was newer (Stock 100,000 miles or less) I could drive about 150 miles with the 0miles to empty displayed. The lie-o-meter wasn't even close. Putting a programmer on it makes it worst. Damn thing states I'm getting 24.9 and I know I'm getting 13.2

My 05 Reg cab XL, has a 38-gallon tank. It doesn't have a Lie-O-Meter. It does have the "Idiot" light Kind of. The Odometer displays Low Fuel at about 1/8 tank. When it was newer if the display lit up I could drive 2 miles to a filling station and I could only put in 31 gallon Max. It's a work truck I didn't drive it much so it didn't bother me much. If you did drive it another 25 miles the truck would start to buck every 2 seconds or so. It's not as bad now I can put about 36 gallons in it now.

My 06 Lariat, 38-gallon tank has the message center. When it was new it was worst then the 05. At about a 1/4 tank the low fuel indicator would display. I could only get about 29 gallons in it. At about 25 miles after the display started, it would start to buck. I took it back to the dealer and told then that had to be fixed. They did some researching and told me that was the way the truck was designed. I told them a 430 mile range was not acceptable and Ford would be getting the truck back if something wasn't done. I got a call from a Ford Engineer who told me that is the way they designed the truck so the in tank fuel pump would be cooled by the fuel. I told him 430 miles was not acceptable and Ford would be getting the truck back. After a few more phone calls the dealer call me up and I tool the truck in and they dropped the tank adjusted the fuel level sending unit, now the truck will run out at 50 miles top empty on the message center. That’s a lot better then having 13 gallons left in it and it bucking at all. I’ve run it out twice, Towing one time at about a 1/4 mile from the filling station and one time coming from a meeting I didn't have time. It ran out leaving the meeting that’s how I know.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
the only days the low fuel light is off is payday thru monday.
I feel you!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Mud-and-Guts
Senior User
Thats funny! My wife called me one day when she was driving my truck and ask if she should pull over because the cluster said 0 miles til empty.. I told her to keep trucking And if she ran out to call me.. She got home and it had a half a tank left in it...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had mine run out of fuel a few times with it around 20 miles to E

Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
Revival!

Just out of curiosity... did any of you guys who have run out of gas bother to look at your fuel gauge?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Krewat
I have a rhetorical question: Why are you running it that low?
Good question, I won't let mine get below 1/4 tank. I'm not sure if the Ford fuel pumps are like GM or not but if they are the fuel in the tank provides cooling for the pump.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
I routinely fuel up when I get to 1/4 tank and I would NEVER let it get lower than that if I was towing. Running out of gas because you are following the trip computer is just plain foolish.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:12 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran mine down to "five miles to empty" and put 32 gallons in my 36 gallon tank.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
The miles to empty reading gives you approximate highway miles remaining. City driving will eat up more. When my 09 F550 gets to zero miles to empty I know I have at least 1 more gallon, more like 2 remaining. What annoys me is when it is 50 miles to empty it says low fuel. This happens on my truck at half tank, because of the 19 gallon size.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

I ran mine to the low fuel light came on just to test it (Usually I fill up between 1/4 & 1/2.. the lie-O-meter said something like 19 til empty.. I Filled up and 35 gal tank took 28.5 gals..

Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
The odd thing is that sometimes the needle will be pegged out on E and the computer will say something like 25-30 miles to empty. Other times the needle may show 1/4 tank and the computer says 3 miles to E

Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
BTW, on the newer trucks, the manual has the following information.

"Do not run your diesel vehicle out of fuel as this will allow air to enter the fuel system which will make restarting difficult. The engine is designed to run roughly as the fuel tank nears Empty. This is a warning to the driver to add fuel as soon as possible. Longer engine cranking time may be required once air is in the fuel system."

I've never had it so low as to have the engine do what is described above, but have heard of others driving it that low and experiencing the roughness.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM
DavidB
Elder User
Key off when filling?

I have noticed where I fill up that a lot of people, mostly diesels, fill up with the engine running. The meter does not reset if you do that. Also the mpg does not reset unless you push both buttons together to reset it at fillup. If you have been driving around town, fill up, do not reset the mpg meter, then drive on the highway, the miles to empty will always be way off. Same thing going the other way. If you fill up with the key off and think to reset the meter at fillup, it should be fairly close to accurate.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM
a57chevy43
Freshman User
I think the Mile to empty is based off the average mpg and fuel level. I know my vette and truck are exact opposites though. I had the vette run out with 40 miles to E showing. The truck has not yet reached 0 but i have had it down to 15 or so and it took 36.5 to fill it up. At 14.5 mpg avg. and a 38 gallon tank that pretty close. In the vette the avg mpg is spot on but if the reserve light comes on you better get to a pump asap. I ran out once behind the station and could not push the car up front by myself. I had to buy a $10 one gallon gas can to get fuel in just to get to the pump with the car. Then I left the new can in the trash cause I was not putting it in the car to get home.

Quick Reply: "0 miles to Empty"