Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New NAPA starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 07:12 PM
dan1101
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New NAPA starter

(Long post ahead...)

My starting problems returned when I tried to start my truck the other day. Just a "click" when I turned the key, nothing else. I had this happen last fall and tried replacing the battery terminals and the starter relay, but it didn't fix the problem. What I did to finally fix the problem for 4 months or so was cleaning up the ground wire on the starter, and sealing it up with some silicone caulk.

This time I tried cleaning the battery terminals, jumping the relay, and cleaning up the negative starter wire, but it absolutely would not try to start. I noticed the silicone caulk was gone from the negative wire, so it apparently doesn't hold up to the heat/water up under there.

I figured it was down to either battery cables or the starter itself. I decided to go with a new starter, $140 something from NAPA. I bought a NAPA because I don't quite trust Advance Auto electrics, and while I would normally buy Ford, the starter only lasted 110,000 miles which isn't that great to me.

I put it on this morning, took me about 2 hours. Getting the old one off and the new one wasn't bad, I didn't even have to raise the truck up to get to it. Just 2 bolts holds it on. The NAPA starter had the spade connector for the negative wire, but it also has a normal threaded stud for negative too. They include a wire with a crimp connection on one end and a round connector to go over the stud, and recommend you connect it that way, which I gladly did. However, while working on the wiring I noticed the insulation on the ground wire was cracked and partially gone, especially where it came out of the harness. I put some heat shrink on it, but I don't know if that's a good enough fix. Hard to see up in there.

Also, the new starter had a copper positive stud, and I managed to strip the topmost threads on it while I was tightening the nut. That sucked, I had to take the bottom nut off the stud to get enough good threads exposed to tighten the connection. Hope that doesn't cause problems with the positive wire connector shorting out to the case of the starter. It just depends on how it's sitting. I'm gonna rework that connection somehow.

Anyway, the good news is at the moment of truth the truck started just fine.

The starter sits surrounded on 2 sides by the exhaust pipe, which seems to me probably led to its premature death. Has anyone thought of making some sort of heat/water shield to go around the starter?

I've got pics of the starter and jumper wire if anyone is interested.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
vman
Elder User
Hope you have good luck with your starter.I think mine went bad at about the same mileage.I bought a napa starter with I think a 3 year warranty.I think it went bad almost one year to the day.After the third one they said they wouldn't give me anymore.I wound up buying one off ebay and it has yet to give me any trouble.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 PM
dan1101
Senior User
Originally Posted by vman
Hope you have good luck with your starter.I think mine went bad at about the same mileage.I bought a napa starter with I think a 3 year warranty.I think it went bad almost one year to the day.After the third one they said they wouldn't give me anymore.I wound up buying one off ebay and it has yet to give me any trouble.
Was yours a new or remanufactured starter? I read somewhere (I think here) that remanufactured parts are sometimes just pulled off junkyard cars, tested to see if they do anything, sandblasted and cleaned up, and sold.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 PM
bohiaa
Elder User
I'm kind of new to the F150 but I have aquired one a 93 model and the other day I went to start mine and nothing.....

I chceked the battery and it seemed ok, So I pulled the silnoid and replaced it with the one off my dead ranger. still nothing.

So I pulled the starter and couldn't find my jumper cables so off to the auto store I went..
They checked it for me and it was good.
I came back home and replaced the starter and it worked just fine.
I really felt badly about trusting it when I found no problem, I figured it was a loose connection.
So far it was been ok, But I hear these trucks have a lot of starter problems.
I was surprised to discover the starter is soooo small.

Didnt have anything to add to your post, Just wanted to share...

Old 03-30-2006, 08:30 PM
vman
Elder User
I honestly don't remember.I thought it was new especially being about $130.I don't think a reman would have a 3 year warranty.I'm finding out that napa parts aren't any better than anyone elses,they just seem to carry some of the piddily things the other guys don't.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
dan1101
Senior User
Originally Posted by bohiaa
But I hear these trucks have a lot of starter problems.
I was surprised to discover the starter is soooo small.
I was wondering if the proximity of the starter to the exhaust might have something to do with the premature failure.

I did notice the new starter cranks a lot more quickly and strongly than the old one.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:53 PM
dan1101
Senior User
Originally Posted by vman
I honestly don't remember.I thought it was new especially being about $130.I don't think a reman would have a 3 year warranty.I'm finding out that napa parts aren't any better than anyone elses,they just seem to carry some of the piddily things the other guys don't.
They told me the new one was $20 more, so I guess it could be either.

I always thought NAPA parts were pretty good, the local Sheriff's office uses NAPA parts on the police cars, and my mechanic uses them. Could just be good sales and marketing on NAPA's part though.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:02 PM
bohiaa
Elder User
As far as napa goes....

This is how it was explaned to me....

when buying a rebuilt part a lot of rebuilders are going in and replacing the failing piece..." exzample" if a used starter come's in and the brushes are gone they will jsut replace that. nothing else"

NAPA and Green light's rebuilders replaces the entire componte..

Here in the Dallas area we have an auto store called Auto Zone.

DONT ever buy anything from them, Not even a light bulb.

There employees dont even know who there rebuilder is NOT even the managers, starters have a life expecanticy of 3 days from them.

and way that's what I was told, and a CEO or a rebuilder Co. tole me this.
it was my uncle...

Old 03-30-2006, 11:30 PM
nascar88ford
Senior User
If you buy a remanufactured starter from Advance Auto parts they come with a "Limited Lifetime Warranty." My mom burned up a starter on my 1987 F-150. I went to Advance and bought a remanufactured starter. Ever since then the truck did not want to start when it was hot. Took it back and they said the brushes were bad and gave me another one. No problems since!
-Matt

Old 03-30-2006, 11:50 PM
bohiaa
Elder User
Not sure about advanced, But auto zone I went through 3 of them.

it was to the point where they would NOT give me another one...