Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

masonry blades

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 09:25 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
Question masonry blades

I'm putting down some decorative patio blocks outside the garage and need to cut a cupple of them in half. Do those dry masonry blades for a 7 1/4" circular saws work any good ? If so how many would I need to cut 2 blocks that are 16" long and 2" thick ?

Old 06-21-2005, 05:54 AM
wiseguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They work fine. One blade should cut two blocks with no problem. Don't forget to wear a mask when cutting the blocks, as there is a lot of dust raised.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:22 AM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
They do work but as mentioned produce alot of dust. Wear breathing protection. Also it is best to use a masonry saw for cutting stone. The reason is that the dust produced is destructive to the motors of circular saws. The motors can digest wood dust just fine but stone dust is very abrasive. Don't use a saw that is special to you. Though a couple of cuts shouldn't do damage.

If you think you might do more than a few cuts consider renting. Use a diamond edged blade as the regular masonry blades wear fast. They can be rented as well. Usually the store will measure the blade before you leave and again upon return. The charge is for the amount of wear. Others may simply rent by the day and may cut you a deal if you rent the saw as well.

Happy cutting. Be safe and know where your fingers are at all times.

Reg

Old 06-21-2005, 07:42 AM
Ultraute
Senior User
With most masonry blocks or "stones", you should only have to score cut them a 1/4" deep or so, then break it. A regular abrasive blade should do fine for a few cuts. A small trickle of water from the garden hose keeps the dust down. Use a GFCI protected plug, and clean up the saw befor the slury dries on it. Wire reenforced or high PSI pavers may require a diamond blade.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:12 PM
maa139
Posting Guru
I've done it both ways.....A dry masonry blade in the circular saw makes a cleaner cut, but scoring it with a grinder and breaking it with a cold chisel is much faster. Once you figure out the best angle to hold the chisel at, the break will be pretty clean.

Good luck.

Matt

Old 06-25-2005, 10:50 PM
460f250
Elder User
I second the recommendation to use a little water. The blade lasts longer and the cut is not as dusty and I think it cuts faster. Does a nice job.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:30 PM
rick90yj
Senior User
If it's only a couple of pieces, use the masonry blade in a circular saw with a trickle of water to score the bricks, then break them with a chisel and clean any jagged edges up with the blade. I cut masonry for a living, and we use a powerful dust collector system with diamond blades, and no water.

Old 07-02-2005, 02:28 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rick90yj
If it's only a couple of pieces, use the masonry blade in a circular saw with a trickle of water to score the bricks, then break them with a chisel and clean any jagged edges up with the blade. I cut masonry for a living, and we use a powerful dust collector system with diamond blades, and no water.
Can any cut off blade be used with water ? I made out ok cutting them dry, but I saw some blades at the store that were a lot more expensive. I figured they were for use with water.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:39 AM
rick90yj
Senior User
Originally Posted by mark a.
Can any cut off blade be used with water ? I made out ok cutting them dry, but I saw some blades at the store that were a lot more expensive. I figured they were for use with water.
You can use any blade to cut dry, the water is for cooling (longer blade life) and to keep the dust down (health concern). The more expensive blades were probably diamond blades, while the chealer ones are a carbon blade.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:58 PM
MKITTOW
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mark a.
Not to be rude... but DO NOT USE WATER unless the saw you have is intended for use with water as a cooling agent. All you will do is risk damaging your saw and possibly yourself. Just use some common sense, a regular circular saw was never intended to be used in, around or with water in any way.

The inexpensive masonry blades that you can pick up for 7-1/4" saws are generally not designed for use with water. (read the directions on the blade it will indicate if using water is beneficial to it's life and performace)

I am not just some dork by the way, I am a product manager for these very types of blades for a major tool and accessory manufacturer. We are known for our products used in demolishing and drilling concrete.

Mark. For your application a 7-1/4" abrasive masonry blade will do just fine. I agree with the others, that scoring the stone then breaking it with a chisel for hammer will give you a good clean result. You should not need to fully cut the stone with the saw. you will probably go through the better part of one blade on your project.

If you wish, you could move up to a 20X or 30X turbo diamond blade (meaning 20 Times or 30 Times more life than standard masonry blades), it will cost a bit more but will last quite a bit longer. Probably enough for 5-10 projects of this type.

Sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk, I would just hate to hear that something went wrong, because you got some bad advice.

Good luck with your project.

MK

Last edited by MKITTOW; 07-04-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:49 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am by no means a professional but after laying 7500 square feet of pavers and a few thousand castleblock I've got a little DIY experience. I chose to purchase a 3 1/2, 7 1/4, and 10 inch diamond blades. I can't describe my satisfaction with these products. They have lasted my job, my nieghbor's and my friend's and are still ready for more.

It's a few hundred dollars investment but considering the prices I have paid for my high-end woodworking blades I'd say it was one of the most solid investments I have made. I also picked up a 'diamond head' for my angle grinder to finish shaping those items I have 'scored and broke' as opposed to those that I just cut through.

Thanks MKITTOW for these products. They are a hell of a lot better than using the old composite blades.

I'll tell you that over the years, I just wished I would have purchased the tool instead of renting it, or the higher end tool as in the long run they are a much better investment.