Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Best tool you ever found?

Old 04-23-2005, 04:07 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best tool you ever found?

Being a home mechanic, I can spot a lost tool on the road like a hunter can spot a squirel in a tree.

Today I found a 1/4" MAC ratchet with a 5/16 Craftsman socket attached. It had been out all night in over 1" of rain and cleaned up nice. I also once found a 7ch hand held scanner on the side of the road while I was riding my cycle, and it still worked fine.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a plasma cutter, but I know the road rash is going to be bad on it.

For those who have lost tools, and I'm one too, I can promise that I will take good care of your tools and not abuse them.

Lets here your stories!

Old 04-23-2005, 05:12 PM
7fords
Senior User
love the humor my fiance gives me crap all the time for pulling u turns on the road because i spotted something cant keep going have to go back you just never know what you will find

Old 04-23-2005, 09:40 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
My nominee for the best tool is the Vise Grip. Thats why auto mechanics call them "The wrong tool for every job"

Old 04-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I found a nice pair of needlenose pliers inside a tire once-

Old 04-24-2005, 01:23 AM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I found a craftsman 1/2" wrench under the radiator of my bronco. I could see it for a long time and thought it was just a cheapie wrench so I never pulled the radiator to get it. when I did finaly pull it I saw it was a craftsman.

I also found a complete Thorsen 1/2" drive socket set under the cargo floor in a station wagon in the local Pull-&-Save junkyard

Old 04-24-2005, 07:04 AM
JimmyRC86F150
Freshman User
Found Tools Rock!

About two weeks ago, I was going down HWY 17 and saw a "little" cresent wrench on the gravel shoulder. The shiny metal caught my eye. I was going 60MPH and there was traffic...so I couldn't do aything about it. That afternoon, when I was coming back home, I figured it was probably long gone, but I slowed down anyway, amd it was still there! I jumped out and ran across to grab it...it turned out to be a big one...about 18" long. I can't believe it layed there all day with no takers! Everyone else must have thought it was a small one too!

I have also found many pliers, and wire cutters when riding my bicycle on the shoulder of the highway. People must leave them on their bumper? Also have found screwdrivers and end wrenches under the hood of the car after having it in at the dealership. The 1 or 2 Snap-on tools I own came from the engine compartment.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
the best tool i ever found was a pair of 4 inch vice grips,12 years after i lost and replaced them. when i got my 88 superduty, i must have used them behind the bumper to put the rear plate on it. looked for them for months before i bought another pair. fast fowards 12 years. while changing rear bumper after the truck was hit in a parking lot, i went to take the rear plate off, and thought THATS WHERE THEY WENT!!!! the kicker is, they still work great, even though most of the chrome plating is gone.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:57 AM
maa139
Posting Guru
I came home from work one day and found a craftsman 12 inch band saw in my driveway. My neighbor had bought a new one and gave me his old one. I replaced the belt and the metal key that held the pulley to the shaft and it's good as new.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:56 AM
gbadgley
Senior User
On the way home from work one night last summer, I spotted a plastic tool box upside down in the lane going in the other direction (divided highway) after I got past it I noticed LOTS of shiny parts for about a half mile I would guess sockets. traffic was too heavy to go after them so the next morning I left a little early for work. I could not find even 1 tool in that area. oh well, you snooze you lose!! Major bummer for who ever lost the box in the first place! Greg

Old 04-24-2005, 02:31 PM
krehmkej
Senior User
When running a wheel loader at the quarry, I spotted a vise-grips in a pile of crushed rock. Believe it or not, they apparently had gone through the rock crusher! A bit rusty from being outside for who knows how long in the Oregon winter, but they cleaned up and work fine. Still have it in my tool box.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:11 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the internet.... 1994

Old 04-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Kerry
New User
A few years ago I went for a test drive after doing something under the hood ( don't remember exactly what ). Several blocks from home I heard the sound of something falling from under the hood. Damn ! Before I stopped the car I realized I had left a small 1/4" socket set in the engine compartment. It opened up and spilled all over the road. It was late at night but I was able to find all sockets except one! No big deal I thought. Figured I was pretty lucky to find all but one. At least several months later I was driving about two blocks from the location where I spilled the set and saw something shiny on the road. I stopped, and there was the lost socket. It must have remained in the engine compartment after I gathered up the sockets and then dropped out on the way home. It probably sat on the roadside for several months.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:53 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
found in a store, gearless ratchets, can't be beat for tight spaces, only have to move the handle 3 degrees or less.

found left behind, a 14" Rigid pipe wrench.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Ian F
Elder User
An 8" Craftsman crescent wrench and 8" Vise-grips - found them together walking home from H.S. one day in 1988. Still have and use both.

A flat-pry bar on the side of the road. Found it while bicyling. Drove back later and it was still there so I grabbed it.

My other half found a 1/4" dr. 10mm Snap-on socket in the engine bay of her M3 left there by a dealer tech.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:04 AM
broncobob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Years ago I worked for the local telephone company. We were burying cable along a county road, and I saw something shiny in the long grass in the ditch. Found a large 3/4" drive ratchet with a big socket on it, a little oil and it worked great. Strange thing was a couple days later when we got a flat tire on the trencher - the socket was the right size for the lugs! Guess even I get lucky once in a while.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tool you ever found?