Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Best tool you ever found?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Spastic
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh... these are great, I'm rolling. I have a couple...

Was at the local tire store getting a new set mounted on the Ford when I saw a rim that some serious rash and a flat tire on it... Asked the kid what he thought did that? He said he didn't know but there was about a 1" hole in the tread. He started unmounting the tire and noticed something in there... after finally getting the tire off there was a 4 foot pry bar completely bent and wrapped around the rim!!! I couldn't believe it! I mostly couldn't believe it because it looked like you would have to drive for awhile to get it perfectly formed that way!

Second one... not so funny but for sure the best tool.
Someone gave me a old like 40's? craftsman drill press and told me it was trashed... They were going to put it in the trash but it was way to big and heavy... this thing is a monster... nothing like you can buy now. I told them I'd take it and see if I could figure out what was wrong.... I thought even if it needs new bearings, chuck, motor, etc... it would be worth it for the nostalgic "cool" factor.... got it home after pluging it in and blowing the circuit breaker I started pulling it apart... turned out the be the flippin' plug on the end of the cord had been poorly installed and was just grounding out! Have used the drill press for like 5 years in my shop and it rocks! Everyone that uses it says it's better than the one they have... and can't believe how solid it is...

Nate

Old 05-25-2005, 04:37 PM
DT 466Man
Posting Guru
A bucket of Snap on Wrenches in the back of a 1410 IH truck.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
Found a Husky 7/16" combination wrench stuck completely through the tread of my brand new Firestone tire (and no road hazard warranty).

Old 05-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Ranger88Den
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found a SunPro digital VOM/dwell meter along side the curb while riding my bike. Replaced the battery and to my surprise a fully functioning tool. Downloaded the instruction manual off the internet.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Taynton1
Mountain Pass
How about a Gallion 2 ton asphalt roller. Left on the side of the road for over a year. Picked it up and with a little work was off and rolling to an eventual sale of about $1800. I would have kept it but I was having a hard time getting it in my tool box. Fifteen years later I got a bigger tool box 46'x62'x16' high, oh what a tool box, my wife hates it, but then again, it's a great tool box.
MT

Old 05-31-2005, 09:02 PM
fordtruckandtractor
Junior User
berkad mentioned finding his own multimeter in a coke machine... i have done this twice now, too...... a month or so ago, I replaced the RF hub on my 02 F350SD, and in the process, needed a place to hang my caliper while I worked. Convenient hole in the frame right behind the axle.... perfect! I have a slick pair of OTC-branded hangers expressly for this purpose (Christmas gift a couple years ago, under $15, cooler than a coathanger....) anyway, last week, I decided, just for S&G, to make sure the seal I replaced at the same time wasn't leaking, so I looked under the truck..... and found my slick hanger tool hanging from the frame-hole. Muddy, slight rust, but it had survived a 600 mile round trip to PA to bring home my "new" '75 F250, as well as the daily 40-mile round trip to work and home all month!!!!!! The second was a Snap-on brake bleeder wrench I used on the wheel cylinder of our Ford 8000 farm tractor. After bleeding and test-stopping the tractor, I left it hang there on the bleeder screw for 3 days before I realized what I'd done..... it had been used some around the farm, but fortunately not bouncing around the fields........ no huge losses if I had never seen either tool, but glad to still have 'em!!!!!

Old 05-31-2005, 09:47 PM
FordGuy1280
Senior User
So far the best tools that I have found were all at a pawn shop. I found a proto 1/2 in torque wrence up to 270ft lbs for 30 dollars and a S&K swivel head ratcket and a 3/8 in S&K wratcket for a dollar each. So I kinda visit that pawn shop every chance I get.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:53 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tayntan1, the asphalt roller would of been a keeper if it were me, great find.
.....=o&o>.....

Old 05-31-2005, 10:12 PM
Hooker Bob
Senior User
I keep losing my tools if ya'll would be so kind as to return them when you find them.
My tools are marked from the factory with my name. I special oder them that way, but they keep misspelling my last name it's not Pend. Anyway I'd apreciate ya'll cleaning and returning my tools.

Thanks Pat.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:27 PM
krehmkej
Senior User
Happened Today

We found a nice remote starter switch today. The bad part was it was still attached to the starter of one of our heavy trucks that was in the shop last weekend for a clutch replacement. It jiggled loose from where it was placed, and hit the pavement, spinning and burning out the truck's starter!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:45 AM
DarkFord
New User
riding through town one day my spouse spotted "road tools" we turned up the next street parked and walked down to where they where........thinking it was extensions and sockets.....to our surprise it was 8 Fostner bits....you could see the wood particles scattered all over the road from the box they had been in.....fighting the traffic we picked them all up
always good to find "road tools"

Old 06-02-2005, 09:26 AM
zukiz400rider
New User
best find I ever found I was going under an overpass in weatherford oklahoma and saw something shiny on the side of the road pretty much stopped traffic to look and whaddaya know it was a 15inch 3/8 drive snapon rachet with a full set of snap on torx to go with it! I hope the original owner enjoyed them as much as I do now snap on guy said the torx are 30 dollars and the rachet was 118 Yeah baby!

Old 06-05-2005, 10:27 AM
rlh
Posting Guru
Craftsman adjustable wrench with a yellow line from the highway painted on top.
Found it 20 years ago and still have it. If you look close you can still see tiny spots of highway yellow on it. Yesterday, I found an S-K 1/2 to 3/8 socket adapter.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:20 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A whole tool box once, loaded with various tools. Trouble is, I discovered it on one of my top end runs at about 2:00 in the morning.

To swerve or not to swerve? That was the question. It caught the front roll bar, which lifted the whole front end end off the ground. Scary at that speed. If it wasn't for the 1 1/2 inch roll bar my oil pan would have been toast.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Mr.Ford 351W
Senior User
I found a 5/8 spark plug socket, few years back.

Quick Reply: Best tool you ever found?