Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

It's a TITAN

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I agree. Sorry to those who took defense to what I said. I was getting a bit upset and said a few things I didn't mean. Some people especially him on this forum seem to get into flame contests a lot. I been reading other posts, and he is always the one flaming. But again, sorry.

You guys have to remember, I was about to sign the papers on a F-150 CC Lariat. Until I drove the Titan. I got more in the Titan than I did in the F150 for less money! I was looking for the bargain price at the time. I have loved the new F-150s since they came out and still do. Just a few things bothered me compared to the Titan.

1) The seats on the F-150 did not support you very well. The Titan has much better seats.
2) The F-150 suspension was too sloppy. I came from a Sports car (G35) to a truck. I wanted something closer to my old car in handling. The F-150 was close but not as close as the Titan.
3) Better engine. The Titan has this part won easily.
4) Utility package was a big part for me. I needed that for work, and it comes in handy. It was another selling point for me as well.

These are kinda the reasons why I got the Titan instead. When I look again, I will definitely look at the F-150 when I am ready.

Originally Posted by Armada
At the risk of jumping in the middle and getting flamed by both sides, I do think Titan_TX might owe an apology to you and some of the rest of us. Maybe we can get carried away with making our point and choose words unwisely? While I agree with much of what Titan_Tx is trying to say, I question his way of making his point.

I, as a Nissan Armada owner am also one of those rednecks. I live in Mississippi, just about 150 miles or so from the Canton plant. I was born here and have lived here all my life. I can actually spell and maybe have a little passing ability to use English properly most of the time. I did not marry a cousin. I read books. Some of our rednecks have made a decent living in literature - Falkner, Grisham, Foote, Welty, to name a few.

A lot of "rednecks" build these trucks. A lot of "rednecks" were consulted in the surveying that went into the American design and feature of the trucks, the American parts which go into them. Just listen to that exhaust note - pure Mississippi redneck. They had to consult a real redneck to give us that good 60's muscle car sound. And no, I don't work for Nissan and have never been to the plant.

Oh, and I hunt - I guess that is pretty "redneck" too. I see a lot of older, boxier Fords and Chevys in the woods around here, at the hunting camps and on construction sites, and most of the newer rounded body styles going back and forth to the grocery store. That may be why Nissan went with a more square shouldered stance in its design.

The F-150 is beautiful, some might say too car-like in its shape and its interior. I like it a lot and personally prefer its styling to the Nissan, but there are a lot of us "rednecks" who do like the squared off shape from the older trucks. Ford still sells best, but there are a lot of Titans starting to show up on the roads around here.

So, you may both blast me for jumping between you, but let's not assume that "redneck" is necessarily a bad thing.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:11 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Titan_TX
Yea I agree. Sorry to those who took defense to what I said. I was getting a bit upset and said a few things I didn't mean. Some people especially him on this forum seem to get into flame contests a lot. I been reading other posts, and he is always the one flaming. But again, sorry.

You guys have to remember, I was about to sign the papers on a F-150 CC Lariat. Until I drove the Titan. I got more in the Titan than I did in the F150 for less money! I was looking for the bargain price at the time. I have loved the new F-150s since they came out and still do. Just a few things bothered me compared to the Titan.
Titan,

You bought what you wanted to buy... (IMHO) you don't have to justify your decision to anyone...

If, by some chance, you're talking about me (not saying you are) when you say "...and he's always the one flaming.", I'd appreciate your showing me the links to all those posts. But I doubt you're talking about me....you appeared to be calling someone else the redneck so maybe you were referring to them.

At any rate - we should ALL be able to express our opinions like adults without resorting to putting others down. As I said before, choice is a great thing! That's why there are so many different manufacturers - if you don't like a Ford - someone else probably has a truck you do like. Ain't America GREAT!

I personally don't believe Ford is the "end-all" truck...yes...all I currently own are Fords, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't look at a Nissan if they offered something I think might be better. I had enough bad experience with my 98 Ranger to swear off Fords forever, but I haven't.

BTW, I don't think being a redneck is a bad thing - just the context reflected in your post.

Regards,
Scott

Old 10-31-2004, 02:19 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my 2 cents in this is that the Nissan is ugly but that is just my opinion. I also think the GM's are ugly. The Nissan may be a good truck but today the jury is still out. If 20 years from now the Nissan is still on the road then we can say its a successful truck. Based on my son-in-laws 12 year old Nissan truck I don't see this happening.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:25 PM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by tmyers
Well my 2 cents in this is that the Nissan is ugly but that is just my opinion. I also think the GM's are ugly. The Nissan may be a good truck but today the jury is still out. If 20 years from now the Nissan is still on the road then we can say its a successful truck. Based on my son-in-laws 12 year old Nissan truck I don't see this happening.
I agree on GMs. My friend use to own GMC vehicles. He was a diehard and kinda still is even though he now has a Honda Accord. I told him what truck I got, and he was like why didn't you get a GMC? I was like because the styling is old, the interiors are outdated. He was like they just updated the interior 2-3 years ago. I was like they didn't change much and are still leagues behind Ford and Nissan. LOL.

So everyone has their likes and dislikes. I will try to chill down a little and sorry. Explorer, no it wasn't towards you, it was towards another member on here.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:32 PM
AxisAllies
Junior User
Posted by Titan TX;

I came from a Sports car (G35) to a truck. I wanted something closer to my old car in handling. The F-150 was close but not as close as the Titan.

These are the kinds of people who are going to tell me what to look for in quality concerning a TRUCK!??

Sorry, I've used and driven trucks all my life. Enjoy your Titan, but what you look for in a "truck", is'int the same thing that interests guys like me.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:33 PM
1970Custom
Postmaster
Hey, Where'd NASCAR be without rednecks???? J/K

Old 10-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by AxisAllies
Posted by Titan TX;

I came from a Sports car (G35) to a truck. I wanted something closer to my old car in handling. The F-150 was close but not as close as the Titan.

These are the kinds of people who are going to tell me what to look for in quality concerning a TRUCK!??

Sorry, I've used and driven trucks all my life. Enjoy your Titan, but what you look for in a "truck", is'int the same thing that interests guys like me.
Truthfully, this is my 3rd actual truck. But my first Full-Size. I had a 92 Isuzu PU, (made by GM), and a 2003 Pathfinder LE, 2 weeks into owning it, 15k damage later, it was never the same. Got the G35 but couldn't get away from needing the space really, so the G35 went away and the Titan is here now.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:41 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by 1970Custom
Hey, Where'd NASCAR be without rednecks???? J/K

N = Non
A = Athletic
S = Sport
C = Centered
A = Around
R = Rednecks

I hear ya!

Old 10-31-2004, 03:08 PM
aspade
Freshman User
I came this ' ' close to buying a 04 150 4x4 Supercrew this month. I have wanted a fullsize truck for a couple years now, and I really thought the new F150 would be it. Taking a closer look at the Titan changed that.

I noticed exactly what Titan_TX did. The Titan has an outstanding power train, much better bucket seats that aren't just the standard bench with a console in the middle, and a really good factory liner/tiedown system. This raised the bar of what I expect in a $27000 truck enough that the F150 just didn't measure up.

That said, the Titan didn't measure up for me either. The exterior is just plain hideous. The interior isn't much better. The noise got on my nerves. The ride is much rougher. The quality issues I have read of are disturbing.

So which one is it? None. I am just going to have to see if 05 or 06 will be the year that some manufacturer finally gets it all right.

The F150 is 90% right. Comfortable buckets (copy GM's!) and a good 5 speed auto would make it a 95% and that'd be enough to make the sale to me.

Old 10-31-2004, 03:24 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not going to get into name calling with a newbie who doesn't have any respect for anything but their own opinion. If you think I'm a redneck, then you're obviously not smart enough to realize that Laguna Seca is next to Monterey--far from any woods. I'm a pharmacy technician and a Biochemistry major at UC Santa Cruz. I own several different varieties of vehicles, including a 99 Dodge 1500. Heck, I don't even own a Ford truck right now (used to own a 74 F100). As for outlasting any ford--the modular engines are rated to run for over 500,000 miles and the tranny fluid on the new F150 never needs to be changed.

I sometimes regret buying the Dodge, but I don't drive it enough to want to bother to trade it in. I like the styling of it, but it's beginning to develop a lot of squeeks and rattles and get's hideous fuel economy. But I don't care, I think it looks better than the Big Rig design of the new Dodge.

The titan's front end doesn't scream here comes a big truck. A Super Duty's grille does that. The Titan's grille screams here comes that guy who always thinks he's right about everything and is afraid to admit when he's wrong.

Wow, you fault the F150 for being "pretty". Hmmm...it looks like a well put together truck, so my pugly Titan must be more "tough" than it because it has a Picasso front end. If the Titan's front end was a face, it would be able to eat BOTH sides of a cob of corn at the same time. It's just bad. No amount of horsepower and baseless opinions can polish change that. Nobody can polish a turd.

Old 10-31-2004, 04:08 PM
68 351 bronc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Titan_TX
Truthfully, this is my 3rd actual truck. But my first Full-Size. I had a 92 Isuzu PU, (made by GM), and a 2003 Pathfinder LE, 2 weeks into owning it, 15k damage later, it was never the same. Got the G35 but couldn't get away from needing the space really, so the G35 went away and the Titan is here now.
OK so now we are getting somewhere. A Isuzu and a Pathfinder are not TRUCKS. You wanted a grocery getter and that is what you got. Put a full #9500 pounds behind your Datsun and see how well it acts like a truck and how long it lasts.

Ford built the new F-150 for guys that buy 1/2 ton pickups and abuse them.

Datsun built the titan for guys that use to own sports cars and want to drive a 4X4 that's the same size as truck because it's the cool thing to do.

Old 10-31-2004, 04:51 PM
1970Custom
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
As for outlasting any ford--the modular engines are rated to run for over 500,000 miles and the tranny fluid on the new F150 never needs to be changed.
Just because it's claim is it never needs changed, I'm not one of those lazy a$$ people who never would, I consider tranny fluid something that needs changed regularly, I'm somewhat **** about those things...I believe in preventive maintnence, instead of waiting for something to go wrong.

The engine thing I'll stay away from it and go for the diesel, I don't need some small engine doing the work of a PSD or a Cummins. But the 5.6 of the Titan reminds me of the old Chevy or Ford smallblocks.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:20 PM
abmobil
Senior User
73fastbackv10, Ford saying the tranny fluid never needs to be changed is just plain stupid!! The mod motors may be rated for 500k but the trannys even with the fluid changed usually dont make it half that far. So there building a truck that claims to pull 9900 lbs?? Somonne is going to burn that fluid up!

Old 10-31-2004, 06:29 PM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by 68 351 bronc
OK so now we are getting somewhere. A Isuzu and a Pathfinder are not TRUCKS. You wanted a grocery getter and that is what you got. Put a full #9500 pounds behind your Datsun and see how well it acts like a truck and how long it lasts.

Ford built the new F-150 for guys that buy 1/2 ton pickups and abuse them.

Datsun built the titan for guys that use to own sports cars and want to drive a 4X4 that's the same size as truck because it's the cool thing to do.
DYI, you obviously haven't read any threads here. But the Titan out pulls the F150. Read the towing article someone posted here recently. Nissan has been making trucks since the 50s. They know how to make trucks that last and that can take the abuse as well.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:34 PM
abmobil
Senior User
The pathfinder is a hell of a truck! especially 01 and newer models which use nissans vq v6 which has been calld the best v6 in the world! And the 05 pathfinder with only a 4.0 v6 makes more horsepower and believe it or not more torque than a 4.6v8 equiped Exploder!

Quick Reply: It's a TITAN