need help w/ some leaks *please*

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 11:37 AM
MrDeath8666
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need help w/ some leaks *please*

I already posted this on another forum, but everyone was being buttclowns and didnt want to respond to me lol. Anyways, I have a few leaks that id like to take care of soon. I just wanted to know what exactly the name of these seals or whatever are called. (i have pics of the locations on the truck too)

First, my t-case is leaking at the very end where the driveshaft slips into it.

Second, rear diff i believe is leaking from the front. Isnt there a dust seal or something there?? Not sure. Diff cover seems to be leaking a tiny bit too. Seems a little weird it didnt start leaking until a few weeks after i had changed the diff oil (castrol).

Thanks!

Last edited by MrDeath8666; 09-21-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:58 PM
MrDeath8666
Senior User
Cmon guys i want to get this done.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:09 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Mr. Death,

Have a little patience. This is, after all, a free bulletin board where people help each other out of the kindness of our hearts, and not because we're obligated to.

Can you be a little more specific? You didn't tell us what truck you have, what transfer case you have, or what driveshaft (there could be up to three) seal is leaking.

The rear differential (again, what axle?) is probably leaking from the pinion seal.

Have you gone into a parts store and asked them to help you find the seal for the case? They're usually good at figuring out what part you need based on the information you give them, even if you don't have exact names.

Also, consider that your lack of information and somewhat impatient and expectant attitude might be why you don't receive as many responses...

Old 09-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Leaks like that are annoying!

I believe that your F-150 has a slip joint at the rear of the transfer case where the driveshaft output yoke enters the transfer case. There is an oil seal in the transfer case's output housing and it is relatively easy to fix. Just pry the old one out and install the new one. Refer to a manual when doing this job and be careful not to damage the housing when removing the old seal. You will get ATF leaking out of the housing while you do this job, so you may as well drain and refill the transfer case while you are at it.

As for the rear axle leak. The leak can be from the fill plug, the housing seal, or from the seal where the driveshaft enters the rear differential. You need to find *for sure* where the leak is from before proceeding. I would remove the fill plug and make sure the differential is full and then properly tighten the plug at the start. A rear end gets very unhappy if it runs out of oil!

Once you locate the leak, the folk here will tell you the best way to fix it.

Lou Braun

Old 09-21-2004, 09:55 PM
MrDeath8666
Senior User
Just because i say cmon guys blah blah doesnt mean im giving yall an attitude, okay?. Anyways, i forgot to give info of my truck because i copied my words straight from the other board that people know my truck, so i apoligize for that. Its a '91 F150, rear 8.8 with a 1356 t-case. I didnt think youd need that info since it would most likely be close the same part on any t-case or rear axle. Thats another reason i posted the pictures. I waited 6 hours here, and a couple days on another board w/o any replys, so yes it can make a person a little impatient, so sue me. Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:43 PM
MrDeath8666
Senior User
Okay well i just noticed the links to my pictures were deleted, which showed where the leaks were coming from. May i nicely ask why? Thats why i didnt leave info about my truck in the first place

Old 09-22-2004, 04:24 PM
SgtJoe
Senior User
The transfer case leak sounds like a transfer case output seal. I agree with andym, if it's driveable, go to a parts store. Just a peice of advice: clean the area completely. Then drive it and check frequently. If it is a pinion seal you'll want to make sure before you replace it.

Also, did you overfill the diff? It's possible. If you fill it on a hill, the level will be high or low. Is the vent plugged? If so, it will push oil out of the seals.

Let us know.

SgtJoe
Senior User
The transfer case leak sounds like a transfer case output seal. I agree with andym, if it's driveable, go to a parts store. Just a peice of advice: clean the area completely. Then drive it and check frequently. If it is a pinion seal you'll want to make sure before you replace it.

Also, did you overfill the diff? It's possible. If you fill it on a hill, the level will be high or low. Is the vent plugged? If so, it will push oil out of the seals.

Let us know.

SgtJoe
Senior User

Let us know.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Tried looking for schematics of your drivetrain assembly. I bet if you did, and found one, it would have little arrows pointing to the seals stating real clearly the name of the them for you. You can find anything if you look. Good luck, and have fun.

---JOHN