Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chevy SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 08:40 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy SS

I am just curious how the Chevy SS truck is normally equipped. Got into a bit of a test with one this morning with my 03 F150 4X4 w 5.4 auto, he very slowly pulled away until my limiter took over, then he was gone. I have no idea of his year or any other info, other than the back end was red.

Not interested in emotions, slams, etc., just the facts.....

Old 07-06-2004, 09:22 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's an all-wheel drive naturally aspirated truck. Sort of a joke in the sports truck world, and only a little faster than a 4x4 with a 5.4.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:06 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's got a 300hp 5.3l v8, and I believe and auto tranny. I think they look cheap... I've heard they're quick, but then again it does weigh a lot. So I'm not sure.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:39 PM
abmobil
Senior User
The SS silverado is equiped with a 6.0 v8 with 345 horses and 380 lb ft of torque. While it wont take a ford lighting itll run away from any ford 5.4 including the 04 3 valve triton. Im not a gm guy im actually leaning more towards nissan. Ford builds great trucks but no one wants to give nissan the credit it deserves. It is superior to the 04 f150 in terms of raw power an towing ability.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:41 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
WRONG! It can't tow 9,900 pounds and still be in the manufacturer's reccomendations, so it isn't superior to Ford. Maybe it's base model is superior to Ford's, but the best towing 1/2 ton offered is the F-150. Also, the SS doesn't easily walk away, it slowly pulled from the thread starter until his rev limiter kicked in.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:11 AM
tkondro
Senior User
The SS beats a 2wd regular cab short box hemi fairly easy. So I think it would walk on the ford 5.4 L. As for the weight of a SS, it is not much more than the average extended cab from chevy (around 5300 lbs). It clips 0-60 times in 6.6 seconds and the quarter mile in just under 15 seconds. With those times a 5.4 L ford with a supercharger couldn't run that. So I think its safe to say that the SS was just playing with you.

Others that come standard with the SS are 20" tires, 4.10 rear end, 7500 lb towing capacity, and good ol' premium recommended fuel. And they ain't that bad on fuel either.

I don't think it was chevy's idea to compete with the lightning or the SRT, but rather provide a little more performance. But with the hemi out, I think they will only go bigger and move towards the big two. For some reason I thought that they governed as well. Or maybe it governs higher than your ford.

How is it that everytime somebody starts talking about the ford vs. another truck, somebody brings up that ugly Titan and tries to sell it to everyone. Enough of it already.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
haha yeah, someone always has to bring up that god-aweful looking car 'wish I was a truck' Titan every single time

Old 07-07-2004, 08:06 AM
abmobil
Senior User
Fordlariat, is playing a number game. how many people who own half ton trucks are going to even approach 9900 pounds? None. The titan is rated at 9500 pounds and so far every tow test it easily kills the f150. Example, edmunds tested them, it took the titan 16.8 sec to hit 60 with a 6000 pound laod, it took the f150 over 23 sec to move the same load to 60, dont believe then go to edmunds.com for yourself, oh let me guess nissan probably paid them. Fact is the only thing you guys can say about the titan is that its ugly but still suprior in he performace department. Of course no one will admit it.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:17 AM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Well, I will. The Nissan is faster than a 5.4 Ford, and I have a 2003 F150 King Ranch Scab with the 5.4. The Dodge Hemi is faster than my 5.4 F150, so is the Chevy SS. And, a regular Chevy with the 5.3 is a good match for my Ford. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Ford is one of the slowest 1/2 ton trucks to 60, but they still sell a load of them every year. Who cares, I don't race my truck, I cruise in it. It's plenty fast enough for me. I get tired of all this chatter about which truck is faster, only the Lightning and SRT 10 are fast trucks, all the rest can be beaten by a stock Mustang GT. So, if you want speed, buy a car, if you want a truck, buy one, but they are not race cars!

Old 07-07-2004, 09:54 AM
95-F-350-4x4
Posting Guru
No sport truck should be an extended cab, period! BTW the Nissan's are hideous, go back to making Altimas and Maximas and leave the truck building to the big 3!

Old 07-07-2004, 10:29 AM
RedRangerXLT
Freshman User
My brother-in-law has a '03 Silverado SS that he traded an '01 F150 5.4 in for. I personally have put roughly 1200 miles on his SS running errands for him and find it nearly impossible to believe a 5.4 will stay with this truck. Previous to him getting the SS, I put probably 3000 miles on his F150, so I feel qualified to speak on both trucks. The SS, with it's AWD and 345 hp, launches hard with little or no wheelspin. That thing hauls the mail, so to speak. It will bury his previous F150 in any performance comparison you care to name. With AWD, it also does very well in the rain and snow. I'm no Chevy fan, but I have alot of respect for the SS. It is fast, powerful, comfortable, and able to do an honest days work without breaking a sweat (something a Lightning could never claim). Just the opinion of someone who has actually driven one.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:30 PM
tkondro
Senior User
I think ggarrahan has hit it right on the nose. The nissan may out perform the F-150 in acceleration, but last time I look the sales numbers don't even compare and never will. Ford will sell more trucks in one month than Nissan will in 2 years. If I wanted a truck to pull 9900 pounds I will purchase the SD. Nissan just sat back and waited for the big three to unviel their engines and then tried to make theirs look better. They suited their truck to make sure that it would top all the performance tests and such, but I doubt it will withstand the true test: the test of time!!!

No sport truck should be an extended cab, period!
Chevy didn't mean for it to compete with the other 2 sport trucks. They just wanted to produce something a little more sporty than their silverado with a little more zip. And I think that they did a good job with not making drastic changes. Who wants a regular cab short box. Haven't you noticed that the industry and the market is moving away from that and towards the crew cabs. So its only logical to beef up a bigger truck. Heck look at the lingenfelter escalade.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:49 PM
abmobil
Senior User
I know as well as everyone else that ford will always sell the most trucks, but that dosent make them better. The nissan isent only the fastest, but it actually does a great job doing what a truck is supposed to do, hauling and towing, thats all i was saying but no one understands this.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:57 PM
ggarrahan
Elder User
abmobil- On this website we all understand about Nissan, that's why we bought Fords! You're not going to sell Nissans here, if you think they are better, then buy one, and good luck to you!

Old 07-07-2004, 08:12 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
A 2wd Dodge with the Hemi is running 15 second quarter miles, and that's their "average" truck. That's good enough to run with the SS. In my opinion, the SS is a joke considering the market it was intended to compete with. I would be willing to bet money that the Nissan Titan could even run with the SS.

Quick Reply: Chevy SS