6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Intercooler hose clamp

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 01:10 AM
num1husker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler hose clamp

Was pulling a slight grade and next thing I know I lost power and lots of noise coming from under the hood. I got the rig pulled over to the side and looked under the hood and found the intercooler hose was blown off. My service truck is well equiped will tools and I was able to loosen the clamp and put the hose back onto the tube and install an additional hose clamp to keep it on.
Took the truck to ford and they told me that Ford knows of this problem and are replacing the old clamps with a new designed one. It was quite an experiance once that hose blew off, glad I was in the back country roads and not the freeway on I-5 in Seattle that day.

Old 06-18-2004, 07:08 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
IMO do it your self, clean ALL parts with Break Kleen, not carb cleaner.
Reinstall and tighten.
I have had the shorts filling experience a couple of times. Then did the clean thing and no more.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:19 AM
matt1751
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this the tube on the drivers side near the power steering pump?,, as mine was leaking oil,, took it to the dealer a few days ago, they tightened the clamp and put dye in my oil. never cleaned anything that I can tell as the oil was still all down the frame which I cleaned everything off myself the next day. Luckly I looked under the hood before I left too as they didn't put my oil filler cap back on,, I guess I have 2 questions. should I take take these apart and clean them or should I be ok with the them tighting the clamp.. 2nd will the dye in the oil cause any problems? I should have just did it my self but at the time I wasn't sure where it was leaking from.. thanks

Old 06-18-2004, 09:27 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by matt1751
is this the tube on the drivers side near the power steering pump?,, as mine was leaking oil,, took it to the dealer a few days ago, they tightened the clamp and put dye in my oil. never cleaned anything that I can tell as the oil was still all down the frame which I cleaned everything off myself the next day. Luckly I looked under the hood before I left too as they didn't put my oil filler cap back on,, I guess I have 2 questions. should I take take these apart and clean them or should I be ok with the them tighting the clamp.. 2nd will the dye in the oil cause any problems? I should have just did it my self but at the time I wasn't sure where it was leaking from.. thanks

No the dye wil not cause problems.

YES, IMO take all four joints off and clean the hose, tubes, clamps, and reassemble. IMO they also need a bit more TQ on them....just IMO.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:31 AM
matt1751
Senior User
ok,, thanks,, sounds like I got a project for Saturday now,,,

Old 06-18-2004, 09:33 AM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
Tim's correct, if nothing else than for peace of mind.

My guess is they put dye in it to see where it actually is leaking oil. If they did not find it while it was there, the next time you bring it in it'll be easier to spot. I believe the dye has some sort of "phosphorus" material in it that they can see with a special light, like a black light. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:45 PM
matt1751
Senior User
thanks for all the info,, project was completed on Saturday. I took the tube off from the intercooler to the manifold. cleaned it very well and reassembled. We'll see what happens. today though it did something weird. it was kind of surging when I first started it this morning and then smothed out in about 20-30 sec, drove for an hour to work with no problems but then later after coming home, truck sat for about an hour. I went to move it and it was doing the same thing while I was backing up. it was like I was tapping the pedal when I was actually on on the break because it was lunging be backwards. Any thoughts on this one? the truck was built 1/21/04. I have 9k miles on it and has been great.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:52 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
thanks for all the info,, project was completed on Saturday. I took the tube off from the intercooler to the manifold. cleaned it very well and reassembled. We'll see what happens. today though it did something weird. it was kind of surging when I first started it this morning and then smothed out in about 20-30 sec, drove for an hour to work with no problems but then later after coming home, truck sat for about an hour. I went to move it and it was doing the same thing while I was backing up. it was like I was tapping the pedal when I was actually on on the break because it was lunging be backwards. Any thoughts on this one? the truck was built 1/21/04. I have 9k miles on it and has been great.
Did you take off the boost connection from the intercooler line to the intake elbow at the top? If you did, check and make sure you have it tightened. Sometimes, after you tighten it, it will slip down, and become somewhat loose. This could cause a surging effect as the boost pressure is lost in surges (it does this because there is quite a few inches of overlap between the two) If so, retighten the clamp in the position it is in, without pushing it up further on the elbow; this will prevent it from slipping back down. Just a though.

Or possibly the wire chafing issue...

Old 06-21-2004, 09:03 PM
matt1751
Senior User
I took the Black plastic tube off that runs under the air box up to the top of the engine. There were no connections on the tube.Is there something on the Elbow. I didn't recall seeing anything but maybe I'm missing something or maybe calling this the wrong part. thanks

Old 06-21-2004, 09:07 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
When it surges like that, stop turn off and restart, tell us what happens.
It usually works.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:14 PM
matt1751
Senior User
ok,, thanks again,, much appriciated,, I'm in for the night unless we get a fire call , so will see how it does in the morning and if it happens again I'll try a restart. What about the Boost connection mentioned by (PSD 60L Fx4) or is that not on this tube? thanks

Old 06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
You need to check all tubes from turbo to intake.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:27 PM
matt1751
Senior User
ok.. I only removed and cleaned the one that was leaking the oil and did not remove any others as Ford obviously didn't do anything other then tighten the clamp. I added a pic of it to make sure we are talking about the same thing as there were no connections that I saw on the tube,,the one on the elbow was untouched. I wouldn't think the surging problem I had today would be related but anything is possable This is my first Diesel and don't have all the terms down yet. is this the intercooler tube? I'm going to take a quick look and then off to bed, Will follow up with you tomorrow. I really appriciate all the help,, this site is the best,, thanks matt

added pics of the tube,
I removed this tube and cleaned both ends. it was not leaking at this spot but where it connects below,,

the oil was leaking out of this spot pictured below.

Last edited by matt1751; 06-21-2004 at 10:08 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Senior User
Matt1751:

There are 2 of what I would call intercooler tubes; one from turbo to intercooler and one from intercooler to intake manifold. The one you show is from intercooler to intake manifod.

Just curious, have most of these intercooler tube blow outs happened on the intercooler to intake manifold side or vice/versa? and were they plastic tubes or aluminum?

I noticed when comparing my dad's 04 f350 DRW 6.0 with my 04 f350 SRW 6.0 that on his truck both intercooler tubes were what appear to aluminum tubing. His tubes are connected at each end with blue hose like material and spring load clamps.

My truck has aluminum tubing from turbo to intercooler with blue hose material and spring loaded clamps and plastic tubing (like Matt1751 photo) from intercooler to intake manifold with hose type clamps (like Matt1751 photo). It would appear the hose clamps and plastic hose would be more likely to slip or blow off. On a side note: my tube from turbo to intercooler is squished almost in half to give extra clearance for dual alternators while my dad has single alt and constant diameter tubing. This does not make me happy as the restricted flow must hurt performance.

Sorry for rambling, just putting out some food for thought.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:09 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
ok.. I only removed and cleaned the one that was leaking the oil and did not remove any others as Ford obviously didn't do anything other then tighten the clamp. I added a pic of it to make sure we are talking about the same thing as there were no connections that I saw on the tube,,the one on the elbow was untouched. I wouldn't think the surging problem I had today would be related but anything is possable This is my first Diesel and don't have all the terms down yet. is this the intercooler tube? I'm going to take a quick look and then off to bed, Will follow up with you tomorrow. I really appriciate all the help,, this site is the best,, thanks matt

added pics of the tube,
I removed this tube and cleaned both ends. it was not leaking at this spot but where it connects below,,

the oil was leaking out of this spot pictured below.
Yes, that is the point i was referring to. Just doublecheck your connection, and ensure it is not loose or wabbly. It is just a thought; i remember how aggrevating that joint is from when i had the elbow off removing my throttle plate and installing the injector nozzles for my methanol system. It more than likely isnt the issue, its just one of those things i thought you might ought to doublecheck. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Intercooler hose clamp