Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Retro CD players

Old 02-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Fat Fendered Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally posted by fatfenders
Not everyone wants to download MP3 files
Shhhhh! The RIAA is listening!!

Old 02-12-2004, 09:44 AM
51dueller
Post Fiend
51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.
Those decks only cost about $20 more. The better ones change songs almost as fast as a normal cd.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:27 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally posted by 51dueller
Those decks only cost about $20 more. The better ones change songs almost as fast as a normal cd.
I know what you're saying Nathan, that is what I am running for a head units in an industry norm configuration. But we were trying (or I was anyway) to determine the minimum standards for a CD player that has to look like a stock 50s radio. It is highly unlikely they are going to base one off a high end CD player. They could, but it is going to cut into the profit margin. Currently they are getting by with selling look alike players for classic cars based of of a radio that retails for $100 bucks. And they will continue to get by with it and pocket the extra $100 dollars.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you at all about the virtues of MP3,WMA,CDR etc cababilities. It's handy. But it's probably just not a reasonable expectation for a stock look head unit. Know what I mean?

Old 02-12-2004, 07:40 PM
51dueller
Post Fiend
51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.
I know what you mean but what if he got one of those camelion black faced decks? If he had a spot that was painted black it would fit right in.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:24 AM
shortyforty
Junior User
shortyforty is starting off with a positive reputation.
We've been looking at CD players for my wife's T-Bird. What I think may turn out the way we will go is to buy a wireless adapter that Radio Shack sells for your FM radio and portable CD/MP3 player. This way we can use it in any Vehicle including the 59 F100 with an old FM radio. If you have a P.C. with a CD Burner you can convert your CD music to MP3 format. I do a CD conversion in about 15 minutes. I plan to download these converted files to a personal MP3 player to use anywhere. I also won't have to worry about someone breaking into the vehicles to steal a dash mounted CD player, and destroy the dash doing it.

the web site for the adapter that Radio Shack sell: "http://www.myirock.com/players/irock400fm.asp"

Old 02-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Cowman
Senior User
Cowman is starting off with a positive reputation.
This has been a most interesting thread. I am still a long way from looking at sound systems for my '53 F100 but since I have no intention of cutting holes in my freshly smoothed dash, I have been thinking of the Hidden Stereo (CustomAutoSounds?)system. Interesting that others have not had a good experience with their product and/or service. That is the type of info I want BEFORE I make my purchase. So far, my best scenario would be to mount the unit under my seat with a remote of some sort. But that is a long way off.
Again, good discussion. Keep it up.