Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Retro CD players

Old 02-09-2004, 02:01 PM
tom servo
New User
tom servo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Retro CD players

I've got a 48 F1 and I'm finally starting the restoration process. As a sign of my young age, one of my first thoughts is to the sound system. I'm trying to keep the truck as stock as possible but I would like to have a CD player in the truck.

My question is does anyone know if and where I could find CD players made to look similar to the original factory radios? I'm assuming there should be some distributor online, but I suck at the internet and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any help on this one.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Stapler123
Senior User
Stapler123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not quite the same thing you asked for, but there are the secret audio guys

http://www.customautosounds.com/classic/secret.html

it isn't a window smashing system, but it remains out of site and out of mind or somthing.

they also have these.
http://www.customautosounds.com/classic/classic.html

but they dont look much like a f-100 radio.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Jag Red 54
Postmaster
Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't think you'll necessarily get one that looks stock, so why not hide it in the glove compartment? Fenders did, and it looks great. Good luck, John

Old 02-09-2004, 06:05 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
Tom

I have recently become very interested in car audio and have done a ton of research. Installed two very nice sustems recently. But to the point. The "correct looking" radios you see are typically a sub $100 quality system marked up 400% or more. I highly recommend you stick the stereo in the glovebox. It's easy and doesn't spoil the dash. If you have a stock radio hole, a non-working stock system will look correct.

I'd be happy to offer suggestions for sound systems in these old trucks. Just need to know the type of music you like, and the budget. Don't run out to Best Buy. You can get twice the system for MUCH less on the net, from reputable vendors.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:18 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
I saw a nice system hidden in the original Heater box on an old Jeep, they had installed an after-market system for the A/C/Heat.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:13 PM
51dueller
Post Fiend
51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.
Go to www.Crutchfield.com they have almost every audio component available. You can compare decks and get an average price so you can barter at the local audio place.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:05 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally posted by 51dueller
Go to www.Crutchfield.com they have almost every audio component available. You can compare decks and get an average price so you can barter at the local audio place.
Nathan

Crutchfields has good service, but you have to work real hard to find prices anywhere near as high as theirs. There are many places with similar selection and prices at least 30% or more cheaper than Crutchfields. Most online audio shops are not authorized dealers and can not offer the manufacturers warranty. Most offer an inhouse warranty so you have to deal with reputable shops. Many will answer evasively when questioned about it.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Homespun91
Elder User
Homespun91 is starting off with a positive reputation.
'fenders,

I for one would be interested in hearing your car audio odyssey. I'm taking it that these two systems were based on the Alpine head units you mentioned. I used to be rather into car audio but moved away once I acquired kids. Alpine used to make nice gear; however, I notice they finally caved in & are selling to mass marketers like Circuit City now. Don't know if they lowered quality or not though. I am just starting to look again, and it seems as if a lot of gear out there consists of colored lights & goofy displays. I figure on looking @ Alpine, Soundstream, etc. to see what's what. As far as music, pretty much anything with an electric guitar works for me.

Not going to buy any of that "Sony crap" (but I would take a cheap-a** Grant wheel!)

P.S. How's that BBChevy crate motor install going???

Old 02-10-2004, 06:20 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Homespun

Technology had brought us a lot of nice CD players head units for reasonable prices. Most of the financially successful audio companies had to go mass market and offer entry level gear to survive. A lot of companies make some great players. Some of these are Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer and Clarion. They have something for everyone. Pioneer typically offering a little better bang for the buck than the rest. Panasonic and Kenwood aren't shabby either. A $100 head unit from any of them is likely to get you a player that will drive you nuts skipping your CDs. Your right about the Bling-Bling. I can't stand the look of most of the decks on the market currently.

Have to go to work now but the real key to a good system is speaker selection. Selecting some that fit your truck and sound good to you isn't simple. You have to spend some money on the front speakers. It will make or break the system. And I'm not talking about getting loud. Just a great sounding system.

BTW, the BB Chevy crate motor wouldn't line up with my motor mounts, so I threw it in the back yard. Under that big snowbank somewhere I think.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
T.S.

What I'm lookong at doing is this, I found an original Tube Type under dash mount FM Converter that would have to be completely rebuilt.
So I'm contimplating just gutting it & having a CD Player/ FM receiver installed in it.
I found it on e-Bay, you might want to take a gander to see if you can find one for yourself.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:09 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
darkman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fenders

What about the guys that take a stock radio and gut it to put in a AM/FM receiver/amp in it. They advertise inputs for CD units. The finished unit looks stock and has hidden LCD dispalys that only show when it is turned on. Costs about $500

Old 02-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Darkman

Do you have contact info for those that do that conversion. Though I'd still probably mount the CD Player in the Gutted underdash mount, tube FM converter. A false face plate could be made for it as well to hide it from thieves.

Originally posted by darkman
Fenders

What about the guys that take a stock radio and gut it to put in a AM/FM receiver/amp in it. They advertise inputs for CD units. The finished unit looks stock and has hidden LCD dispalys that only show when it is turned on. Costs about $500

Old 02-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
S.123

I've already looked into C.A.S. radio system for my truck.
They Do Not have an updated Am/Fm Radio system for the Round Dial Face FoMoCo Truck Radios & they wont even discuss the Idea nor even Contimplate designing one for our year trucks.
My whole experience w/ them was Extremely disappointing & the individuals I spoke w/ had a rather condisending 'tude.

Originally posted by Stapler123
Not quite the same thing you asked for, but there are the secret audio guys

http://www.customautosounds.com/classic/secret.html

it isn't a window smashing system, but it remains out of site and out of mind or somthing.

they also have these.
http://www.customautosounds.com/classic/classic.html

but they dont look much like a f-100 radio.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:31 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
darkman is starting off with a positive reputation.
There were two shops that did it. I have the information but I'll have to find it. I'll post as soon as I locate it.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Jag Red 54
Postmaster
Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have a 55 Fairlane. It also has the round radio, just about 30% bigger. There was a company at the Goodguys meet that was claiming to be able to convert any vintage radio to AM/FM. When I told him the year and make of my car he said "no thanks." They could not work on round radios, so that is why I suggested the well tested method of putting it in the glove compartment. But, if you do find somebody that can convert these round ones, let us know. Good luck, John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retro CD players

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.