Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Retro CD players

Old 02-10-2004, 03:51 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
darkman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Col. It wasn't where I thought it was but I know that I have it. Seems like the company was in FL and I heard about them in Mustang Monthly or Mustang and Fast Fords. I talked with them on the px and they said they definately will do round face radios like ours.

Check these guys out. The name sounds familiar.

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/stereo.htm

Last edited by darkman; 02-10-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:30 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally posted by darkman
Fenders

What about the guys that take a stock radio and gut it to put in a AM/FM receiver/amp in it. They advertise inputs for CD units. The finished unit looks stock and has hidden LCD dispalys that only show when it is turned on. Costs about $500
Charles

I'm not saying it can't be done right, it just usually isn't. Just know what you are buying. You can buy a AM/FM CD with LED for $79.95, and it will be crap.

I base this opinion on the Car Audio forums I hang out on. Guys will come on there occasionally trying to make their $500 original looking Corvette radio sound right. They get sick when they can't. If you are OK with a junk stereo that looks correct for $500, then everythings cool. There is no way I would pay that unless I examined the specs. Here are some questions to ask about a head unit (CD Player).

1. MOFSET Amplifier? (Much cleaner sounding)
2. RMS Wattage per channel (20+ per channel), peak wattage output is meaningless. You want adequate wattage so you don;t have to play the volume high which induces distortion.
3. RCA low level outputs are nice, at least 2 pairs.
4. Distortion specs should also be looked at.
5. Equipped with a good sound processer like Alpine's BBE makes a huge difference in sound quality.

If it doesn't have the above, it's a cheap radio that is highly unlikely to sound good, or last long.

And one more thing, many of the cheap audio manufacturers have no problems advertising specs that are a baldface lie. That complicates it more than a little. Be better if you knew the exact model stereo that was being used to make your "looks correct" radio.

Sorry for the rant, I know most of you have no interest in a thousand dollar stereo, just know what you're buying for $500 bucks. And save some money for your front speakers, they mean everything.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Fenders

I can appreciate your statement, concern, & why, but it comes across in a condisending manner. I for one do not appreciate being talked down to. Thank'ee for your thoughts though.
Some of us are quite capable of & have already contimplated what you've just stated.
And if what is being marketed is just an add on to the original vintage electronics, it certainly is not worth $500.00.
It better be a whole new complete set of State of the Art AM/FM Multi-Plex guts or it's not being ordered.

Though I for one do not require a Memorex, Surround Sound system w/ all the Woofers, Sub-woofers, Tweeters, etc.
Drilling extrainous holes in the interior of my trucks cab just to mount them is Not an option.
Nor will I have the dash of my truck Butchered to mount a modern rectangular stereo.

I have already put together several options to fall back onto just in case the primary plan doesn't pan out. I for one do not need to feel as if I'm at a Concert when I'm listening to music in my truck, just having a nice sounding & reliable system is fine w/ me.

I already have one original Truck radio that has been restored to factory specs, so all I need to do is have my 50's Tube type, underdash mount, FM converter restored as above or have it gutted & have an FM receiver & CD system installed. Then w/ the duel speaker system that mounts in the original speaker hole I'm all set.

Originally posted by fatfenders
Charles

I'm not saying it can't be done right, it just usually isn't. Just know what you are buying. You can buy a AM/FM CD with LED for $79.95, and it will be crap.

I base this opinion on the Car Audio forums I hang out on. Guys will come on there occasionally trying to make their $500 original looking Corvette radio sound right. They get sick when they can't. If you are OK with a junk stereo that looks correct for $500, then everythings cool. There is no way I would pay that unless I examined the specs. Here are some questions to ask about a head unit (CD Player).

1. MOFSET Amplifier? (Much cleaner sounding)
2. RMS Wattage per channel (20+ per channel), peak wattage output is meaningless. You want adequate wattage so you don;t have to play the volume high which induces distortion.
3. RCA low level outputs are nice, at least 2 pairs.
4. Distortion specs should also be looked at.
5. Equipped with a good sound processer like Alpine's BBE makes a huge difference in sound quality.

If it doesn't have the above, it's a cheap radio that is highly unlikely to sound good, or last long.

And one more thing, many of the cheap audio manufacturers have no problems advertising specs that are a baldface lie. That complicates it more than a little. Be better if you knew the exact model stereo that was being used to make your "looks correct" radio.

Sorry for the rant, I know most of you have no interest in a thousand dollar stereo, just know what you're buying for $500 bucks. And save some money for your front speakers, they mean everything.

Last edited by Col Flashman; 02-10-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:01 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
darkman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fenders,

What kind, size and price range should you spend on the front speakers. Is 22 watts RMS good enough for good NOT Loud sound.

Col.,

I don't think Fenders meant to sound they way you thought he did and you misspelled condescending but then noone is perfect especially not me.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:29 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
Fenders,

What kind, size and price range should you spend on the front speakers. Is 22 watts RMS good enough for good NOT Loud sound.

Charles

Yes, 22 RMS is fine for a head unit. When you get serious about buying one I'll help you find something I have actually listened to. Speakers are a little tougher to recommend. Some people prefer sharp tweeters. There are some very high end speakers that I just don't like at all. (Alpine, Boston Accoustics). Some affordable speakers I like are certain model Rockford Fosgate, Pioneers etc. The markup in the retail stores is more than you probably realize. I'll help you find those for real cheap on the web when you're ready, but you'll need to head to the stereo store so we an get an idea of what you prefer. $60-85 will get something real respectable on the web. In the meantime, if you'll trace your kick panels, I am going to make some speaker pods from fiberglass. My speaker install is not so stealth but we can make yours fairly low profile for only a few bucks.

Colonel

I was actually "talking down" to Charles. I don;t mean to be Kondersending. Sometimes I get preachy when I think my friends are about to waste $500. After a couple thousand posts here, it's very unlikely I'll change my posting style much. You'll either figure out I mean no harm or feel free to use the ignore feature on this forum. No offense was intended by my earlier post.

Later,

Old 02-10-2004, 10:50 PM
RoyalFB
New User
RoyalFB is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree-- I have a 56 and wanted to keep it stock but I gotta have a sound system. I put a deck in the glove compartment and had got some boxes for my subs to fit under the bench seat. It sounds awesome and still looks good.....

Old 02-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Fenders

I've been a member of FTE since April of 2000 & I've done quite a bit more reading, then posting here.
So that means this is the First time you've come across as condesending to me, as I recollect it.
And did you just admit to "I was actually "talking down" to Charles." or did you make a typo just now like most of us do when we type to fast?
You must have a real large set if that's not the case!?.
So why now, after all this time of my reading your rather informative posts of the past, are you coming across that way, twice in a row no less?!.
And I didn't know that there was any such thing as a "Ignore option" here on FTE. :-staun
I believe I'll go exploring a bit more through the site to see what other nefty things are here.
Some individuals can be lacking in communication skills, but be a fount of knowledge in certain particular areas of interest.
Why then would Anyone want to use such a device as an "Ignore Option" & miss out on all the usefull information is beyond me.

Now If I may ask you this.
W/ your wealth of knowledge of Auto-Sound Systems, do you know & can you recommend anyone that you feel confident in, that could do the job that is required?
And having all state of the art components used to replace the vintage ones.
And no, I can not do what the others have done by stuffing components here & there. I carry E.M.S. & Rescue gear in my truck, So I need all the extra space I have for it.

Waiting w/ baited breath for your normal fount of information that I have grown so accustomed to reading in your replies.

Originally posted by fatfenders
Fenders,

Colonel

I was actually "talking down" to Charles. I don;t mean to be Kondersending. Sometimes I get preachy when I think my friends are about to waste $500. After a couple thousand posts here, it's very unlikely I'll change my posting style much. You'll either figure out I mean no harm or feel free to use the ignore feature on this forum. No offense was intended by my earlier post.

Later,

Last edited by Col Flashman; 02-10-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:02 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
"Now If I may ask you this.
W/ your wealth of knowledge of Auto-Sound Systems, do you know & can you recommend anyone that you feel confident in, that could do the job that is required?
And having all state of the art components used to replace the vintage ones.
And no, I can not do what the others have done by stuffing components here & there. I carry E.M.S. & Rescue gear in my truck, So I need all the extra space I have for it."

COL

I suspect it would be cost prohibitive to have a radio custom made. If we can find any products available. We can look at the specs if they will provide details. I have this feeling a real good one doesnít exist but perhaps it does. Most here probably don't desire state of the art anyway. But I doubt they would be happy with a $100 CD player that costs over $500. It would be nice if we could get $175 worth of sound for our money. I have be-friended the owner of an up and coming performance audio manufacturer here in Iowa. He can cut through the specs if we can get them. I am certainly not the authority on car audio, but I do know the difference between junk and pretty darn good. The glovebox stereo option is still the best option I have found. Itís not like it is a large storage area in the first place.

As far as talking down to Charles. I have to cause heís a little slow of this car audio stuff. Just kidding, Charles is very intelligent and a friend. We frequently converse-off forum. He knows I am passionate and can cut through my rhetoric. I know I must come off as Mr. Know-it-all frequently. There are some areas I am very competent to advise on. There are others I am not and I try to shut up and listen when appropriate.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:54 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
merc546 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi

If you have a Vintage Air Cond unit installed the glovebox idea becomes a little more difficult sense the glovebox ends up being only 2 1/2 inches deep.

I cut my dash and installed the radio and a/c controls in a location that I can reach from the drivers position.

These new radios have such small lettering and small controls a old guy like me doesn't have much of a chance.

I also have the customautosounds radio and cd installed in my 54 merc car. I think I would have had more fun if I would have just started a fire with the money that I wasted on there product. Talking to the people that are employed there was a waste of time.

Chuck

Old 02-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Jag Red 54
Postmaster
Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
yea fenders can come across as a little condesending sometimes, but I don't think that it is intentional. Writing in these posts is fast and furious and we "free advise givers" are usually not famialiar with the level of expertise that the other participants may or may not have. Rather than take offense when someone tries to give info, even if they seem to be talking down to me, I simply pick and choose which advice to follow. The very few times that I have felt slighted have been greatly outweighed by the amount of assistance and concern I have received from those on the site. But be advised; I know that Kenny offers a double-your-money-back garantee if any reader is dissatisfied with the advice and opinions offerred. Good luck, John

Old 02-11-2004, 12:22 PM
51dueller
Post Fiend
51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.
Fenders you missed something when you listed questions. I wouldn't buy a deck that won't play mp3's. Those decks can read almost any cd since they support all cd formats like CD, CD-R, CD-RW.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Fenders

Thank'ee for taking the time & making the effort to pass on the info & your P.O.V. on these matters.

I can understand your passion, We are alike in that fashion & we'll probably bump heads upon occasion over things. Sound systems, Toyota P/S systems vs. FoMoCo Ram assist, v8's vs. I-6's, Mags & squat tread vs. Factory Rims & Tall-boys, Rodding vs. Original, Turbo vs. Super Charged, Auto v, Manual trannies, Factory Interior vs. Custom, etc.

I'll be receiving a catalog from that Radio conversion company that has it's basic info listed on FTE pages & will pass it on to you when it arrives.

As for putting a Mod Radio in my trucks dispatch box? Not a chance, I would have no place to then put the required paperwork for my truck & my E.M.S. belt pouch, paperwork, etc. So that means following up on one of my several plans to be able to listen to my music while cruising about.

The diamentions on the 50's tube FM converter are about 12 inches wide, about 11 inches deep & 5 1/2 inches tall. That should be more than enough room to fit a decent CD player & FM moduel into it, don'tcha think? Hinge the face plate for access to it to change cartridges, etc. The only thing neccessary then is to install a Jack to connect it to the Factory AM radio in order to use any of the 3. Would you ask your friend what he thinks?

Looking foreword to more hrs of fun exchanging posts about what we are passionet about concerning all the topics on the FTE.

Jag

Consider yourself just having received a Manly Thump of commradery to your right shoulder.

Cheers
Flashy

Last edited by Col Flashman; 02-11-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Jag Red 54
Postmaster
Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up

Well said Flashy, I'm glad you're increasing your level of involvement. It would be a pretty boring site if people did not jump in and get their feet wet. Keep us posted on the radio progress. I'm interested because of the Fairlane. John

Old 02-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Jag

Thank'ee kindly.
I needed to do my research first before I jumped into the fray here having never owned an Orphan Years truck before.
Most of my experiences w/ vehicles has been w/ a '58 Custom 300 w/ a 312, a '60 & '64 Falcon Station Wagon & Futura w/ a modified 200 I-6, restoring Triumph 200 Tiger Cubs, & first learning at 9 years old how to drive Fathers '61 F-100 w/ 223 I-6 & 3-on-the-tree. Talk about performing gymnastics in order to steer & shift the bleedin' thing at the same time, whew.

Will do.

Originally posted by Jag Red 54
Well said Flashy, I'm glad you're increasing your level of involvement. It would be a pretty boring site if people did not jump in and get their feet wet. Keep us posted on the radio progress. I'm interested because of the Fairlane. John

Last edited by Col Flashman; 02-11-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:08 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally posted by 51dueller
Fenders you missed something when you listed questions. I wouldn't buy a deck that won't play mp3's. Those decks can read almost any cd since they support all cd formats like CD, CD-R, CD-RW.
They are nice indeed Nathan. But these guys are trying to get a look a like stereo for less than a milion dollars. It will be tough enough. Better not set the standard too high. Not everyone wants to download MP3 files, but having a deck that will play CDR is VERY handy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retro CD players

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.