Camshaft Sensor/Synchronizer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:10 PM
mickdw
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the fast response !

So assuming there is no tool I may have to time the sensor by checking the voltage out at 26 degrees ATDC?

I believe it moves to 12 volts when operating.

I just need to figure out which wire is which. Chilton shows three wires.

I presume one is incoming power. My chilton seems to suggest that one of the output signals goes to the rev counter and the other to the ECM.

Interesting that the rev counter still works.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I would think that you could mark the area around the old unit and then intall the new unit using those marks.

According to the '95 manual, the BK/W wire is ground, the Red wire is 12V power, and the DB/O is the signal wire back to the PCM (pin #85).

Old 03-16-2007, 12:41 PM
mickdw
New User
Thanks again.

I could mark the outside on the CPS and the block as you suggested.

Is the shaft and gear marked in any way so I can check to see if the internal "vane" of the new unit is rotated to the same spot as the old?

I am assuming the old unit is toast so I won't see a signal out of the old DB/O pin.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mickdw
Thanks again.

I could mark the outside on the CPS and the block as you suggested.

Is the shaft and gear marked in any way so I can check to see if the internal "vane" of the new unit is rotated to the same spot as the old?
That's the thing. When the CPS sensor and shaft are integrated together in one unit, there is no access to any sort of vane inside (to my knowledge). Which means you have to rely on the outside features to line it up.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:12 AM
darascal
Junior User
anyhope

I just bought a 1997 ranger 3.0 w/o the CMP installed. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal since I have installed distributers but all the books and replys on here make it look like I might have a problem. Also the engine IS NOT at TDC. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:12 PM
deadhang
New User
Just found the Dorman Camshaft Synchronizer with the Sensor and alignment tool for a 96 3.0L V6 at Rock Auto for about $37. Even with shipping that seems a lot less money than some others have had to pay in this thread. I highly recommend checking them out before getting ripped off by a dealer.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:37 PM
spquint
Freshman User
OK what is the deal about where the connector is positioned.If you have the alignment tool it should not have to be at 60 degres or 75 degres.As long as the vane is in line with the base the connector could be anywhere.Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:05 PM
kliff
New User
Hello everyone. I have a 95 Ranger with a 3.0 liter engine and the C vane is completely gone. How should this C vane be positioned with the scnchronizer at tdc. Any suggestions.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 PM
CaptonZap
New User
Go to post number 33 in this thread, and follow the directions. CZ

Old 07-21-2007, 03:11 AM
he he he
New User
Is it ok to drive the car with the camshaft synchronizer squeaking/ broken?

Old 07-23-2007, 11:42 AM
mickdw
New User
Are all of the Camshaft Position Sensors three wire?

Are the plugs the same for both types of sensor used on the 4.0L?

One has a right angle connector (on my 95 Ranger) connects vertically. The others have a connector that plugs in horizontally.

Reason for asking my truck has the right angle type and it looks like the horizontal version is more available, less $$$ and easy to adjust with the tool.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:58 AM
mickdw
New User
I think I may have answered my own question.

The 94, 95 are different to the post 96 , however there are a couple of vendors who sell the connector for the 96 and later camshaft position sensor for less than $30.

Any reason why the 96 camshaft position sensor won't fit the 95 if I switch the plug to the newer type? Mechanically they do look the same.

It looks like Ford might have redesigned the part because of a problem and made it easier to fix.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:15 PM
PHRoG
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello there,

I've lurked for quite some time and I have been reading searched threads about the CMP.

I kind of have a unique situation, lol...I have a 98' Ranger that had a dead 3.0 motor...Sooo, I went out and purchased a barely used 99' 3.0 and swapped them out.

Now, here's where I run into a problem with the CMP...The donor engine had a broken and damaged CMP sensor and syncro...I went through the engine completely replacing gaskets everywhere, etc, etc.

Long story short I was crusing along and it was time to swap the sensor and syncro...Soo, without thinking I just removed the bolt and pulled her out...It was not at TDC and I did end up moving the cam before reinstalling it...From what I have been told locally this is bad bad bad...Some friends told me I will have to completely tear down the engine down to get the fuel timing to sync again...Is there any way around this? I just purchased the syncro install tool from the snap on guy...However, again I was told this wouldn't do me any good as the cam has been moved.

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
PHRoG

Last edited by PHRoG; 09-12-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Taurus325
New User
I just started having problems with my '97 Taurus' Positioning sensor. After finally finding the sensor, I found that a piece of the top was torn off. and there is nothing, no magnet, on the inside top of sensor and the top of the sychro assembly was torn up. Any ideas what could have caused this and could it have messed anything else up underneath the assembly, from pieces of the sensor dropping down the assembly?

Old 09-18-2007, 03:49 PM
tomb1269
New User
Syncronizer can be order from Autozone, NAPA etc about $70 after core...........

Quick Reply: Camshaft Sensor/Synchronizer Replacement