Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Any dyno results? - KC Balanced Assembly upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 06:27 PM
Hexus
5th Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Any dyno results? - KC Balanced Assembly upgrade

I have recently purchased a KC balanced assembly and PHP Hydra chip for my early 99 F350.

I already have a TS 6 position tuner. Stock injectors, stock pretty much everything else.

Wondering what is the HP and torque performance of the KC balanced assembly in a stock GTP38 turbo vs. Stock GTP38 turbo?

My stock turbo just starts spooling up around 2000 rpms. What would the KC balanced assembly do?

Old 05-26-2024, 12:57 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 871 Likes on 635 Posts
Gonna be better that's for sure! I have a decent compressor wheel but the KC balanced assy is a solid step up.

Since you are about to embark on significant mods there are a few other things to consider.

You have to pull the turbo to rebuild it so now is the time to install bellowed up pipes. If yours are OEM they are toast.

Need an EGT gauge with serious tunes. Don't want to melt a piston. I'd recommend a fuel pressure gauge too, when performance goes sour that info will cut diagnostics in half.

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

The following 2 users liked this post by aawlberninf350:
Old 05-26-2024, 01:17 AM
Hexus
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Gonna be better that's for sure! I have a decent compressor wheel but the KC balanced assy is a solid step up.

Since you are about to embark on significant mods there are a few other things to consider.

You have to pull the turbo to rebuild it so now is the time to install bellowed up pipes. If yours are OEM they are toast.

Need an EGT gauge with serious tunes. Don't want to melt a piston. I'd recommend a fuel pressure gauge too, when performance goes sour that info will cut diagnostics in half.

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.
Oh heck yeah it is gonna be better! I can't wait.

Already have those gauges. Woo woo!

Bellowed up pipes would be a GREAT move but I have already tested the turbo system for leaks and not only is the leak test phenomenal for 170k miles but the up pipes are not leaking. Yes, I agree it is smart to not only replace them but upgrade to bellowed up pipes but I disagree because the up pipes are not leaking and I don't want to spent extra money if I don't reallllly need them. It will be a matter of time before they go back but until then I am A OK.

Old 05-26-2024, 04:35 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,163 Posts
Originally Posted by Hexus
Oh heck yeah it is gonna be better! I can't wait.

Already have those gauges. Woo woo!

Bellowed up pipes would be a GREAT move but I have already tested the turbo system for leaks and not only is the leak test phenomenal for 170k miles but the up pipes are not leaking. Yes, I agree it is smart to not only replace them but upgrade to bellowed up pipes but I disagree because the up pipes are not leaking and I don't want to spent extra money if I don't reallllly need them. It will be a matter of time before they go back but until then I am A OK.
As soon as you disturb the turbocharger's position and reinstall it, you WILL end up with a leak. At 170K, the pipes are junk and if by some miracle you don't have a leak, you absolutely will after working on the turbo. Spend the money and time ONCE because when you put it back together and have a significant leak, you'll be back here saying you didn't get the results you hoped for from the different turbo pieces.

The following 3 users liked this post by cleatus12r:
Old 05-26-2024, 06:00 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,044 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
As soon as you disturb the turbocharger's position and reinstall it, you WILL end up with a leak. At 170K, the pipes are junk and if by some miracle you don't have a leak, you absolutely will after working on the turbo. Spend the money and time ONCE because when you put it back together and have a significant leak, you'll be back here saying you didn't get the results you hoped for from the different turbo pieces.
100% correct. The OE design was stupid and guarantied to fail. It WILL start leaking if by some miracle (it would be a solid miracle!) they aren’t leaking now.

This is not a good place to save $100.

https://swagperformanceparts.com/99-...YaAu-UEALw_wcB

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lete-pics.html

The following 2 users liked this post by SkySkiJason:
Old 05-26-2024, 07:16 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,693 Likes on 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
I completely agree with Cleatus and SSJ. This is not where you want to try and save $100. If they’re not leaking now they will after you disturb them. I‘ve been there and done that.

Leaking uppipes rob more performance than people give them credit for. Again, know from experience. If you don’t install bellowed uppipes you’ll likely be somewhat disappointed with your new turbo. Wait and save up if needed but do this at the same time.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-26-2024, 08:33 AM
Rot Box 2
Tuned
Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
You’ll want to make sure they’re for an early 99 E99 if you do go with new up-pipes. I bought these but haven’t installed them yet—not ready for that pita although I know it needs to be done haha.

https://swagperformanceparts.com/swa...erstroke-7-3l/

The following 2 users liked this post by Rot Box 2:
Old 05-26-2024, 03:04 PM
Hexus
5th Wheeling
You guys called out my cheap ******* self and convinced me to just buy the up pipes, gasket, etc. I 100% agree and I am trying to cut corners because I want to save about $150-$200. For what? For me to just have to go back in and have to get to the up pipes all over again after a few extra hours at least of headaches? No I am not about that and time is money. Bellowed up pipes also supposedly help with lowering EGTs a bit PLUS there may be a micro leak or micro leaks or a notable leak that I was not able to detect doing my boost leak pressure test. At 26 years old and 170k miles of a vehicle, the damn truck needs new up pipes!

You guys are a huge help. Sorry about my stubbornness.

Old 05-26-2024, 04:31 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,693 Likes on 1,187 Posts
because I want to save about $150-$200.
I know e99 pipes are more expensive, but you may be able to get them cheaper than that. This is one are where you can cheap out and buy the knockoffs without much concern.

Bellowed up pipes also supposedly help with lowering EGTs a bit PLUS there may be a micro leak or micro leaks or a notable leak that I was not able to detect doing my boost leak pressure test.
Yes, they will lower EGT by spooling the turbo more efficiently. Exhaust drive pressure leaks kill performance.

Uppipe (exhaust drive pressure) leaks can not be detected during a boost leak test. Those are separate sides of the turbo. I’m still not convinced they aren’t already leaking.

As we all have said, from our own bad experiences, the donut gaskets will not seal back up on those 26yo worn pipes after being taken off. The original pipes will be worn and somewhat crushed at the gasket area. We’re all just trying to keep you from making the same mistakes we have in the past.

The following 2 users liked this post by RacinJasonWV:
Old 05-26-2024, 06:17 PM
F350towing
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,184 Likes on 644 Posts
I can’t say for the balanced assembly nor for dyno #’s.

I have been running a 5/5 wheel for 4 years and that was a huge improvement over stock.

This past winter I paired that wheel to the KC Turbine wheel and man o man am I impressed.

Just got back from a 600mile trip towing 8500lbs with mountain passes and it was a solid performer.

You will be happy.

Edit: just remember… it’s not a sports car so don’t expect one.

The following 3 users liked this post by F350towing:
Old 05-26-2024, 09:18 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,044 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Rot Box 2
You’ll want to make sure they’re for an early 99 E99 if you do go with new up-pipes. I bought these but haven’t installed them yet—not ready for that pita although I know it needs to be done haha.

I don’t think he said Early ‘99???

Note, you will need to reuse the collector for E99. Removing the bolts can be a PITA

Old 05-26-2024, 10:07 PM
Hexus
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by F350towing
I can’t say for the balanced assembly nor for dyno #’s.

I have been running a 5/5 wheel for 4 years and that was a huge improvement over stock.

This past winter I paired that wheel to the KC Turbine wheel and man o man am I impressed.

Just got back from a 600mile trip towing 8500lbs with mountain passes and it was a solid performer.

You will be happy.

Edit: just remember… it’s not a sports car so don’t expect one.
Oh I will be happy with it. This early 99 is a tow rig. Lots of steep gradients where I am at so if I don't struggle going up mountain passes at 60-65 mph towing 6-8k pounds like I am now with high EGTs then I'll be a happy camper.

Old 05-26-2024, 10:07 PM
Hexus
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I don’t think he said Early ‘99???

Note, you will need to reuse the collector for E99. Removing the bolts can be a PITA
Yep I have an early 99. I have heard about how a PITA they can be.

Old 05-26-2024, 10:08 PM
Hexus
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Rot Box 2

Just bought these. Thank you for the link!

Old 05-27-2024, 12:11 AM
F350towing
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,184 Likes on 644 Posts
Oh I will be happy with it. This early 99 is a tow rig. Lots of steep gradients where I am at so if I don't struggle going up mountain passes at 60-65 mph towing 6-8k pounds like I am now with high EGTs then I'll be a happy camper.
4mile long 5% incline at 60mph with lots of pedal left to mash. 24lbs boost 1075°. Never once this last trip did I drive by the EGT gauge.

Tunes make a big difference though. My SDK tunes run cooler than the PHP files on the exact same set up.

I haven’t tried the PHP since the KC upgrade, but prior I could kiss 1300° on a freeway on-ramp.

All the upgrades I’ve done on my truck are with towing in mind. I don’t put many miles on it in a year but when I do, it’s working for its keep.

The following 2 users liked this post by F350towing:

Quick Reply: Any dyno results? - KC Balanced Assembly upgrade