1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Shut off-won't start. Big troubles in litte Copedawgland

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 05:56 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the research...
Now for the $70 question...will it run with a bad one? I just put the old one back in and I have no idea if it's good or not but if it will run w/o it, I'm fine with it.
I have a few more things to tidy up before I try to start it...and weather is interfering along with work but I'm still at it and will keep you posted!
Thanks!

Old 04-11-2024, 12:25 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,217 Likes on 992 Posts
Yep, WIF relay. I deleted mine long ago...you can read about it in my build thread.

So yes, shall run without. I pointed out which pins to pull from bulkhead connector and all that. I removed all that nonsense when I did efuel a while ago, I believe it was part of the HPOP harness by fuel filter bowl. I just retained the two pin connector for the HPOP and made a new connector with a Weatherpack plug and fresh pig tail.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-12-2024, 02:24 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

YABBA DABBA DOOOO!
I changed the Wire Harness and Fuel Bowl...filled up the bowl with SeaFoam and Son Of A GUN! It fired right UP!!!! It's sputtering with a 1282 code but I'll work through that (I think) but it's RUNNING and I'm happy as can BEE!...
It fought me toward the end...losing the screen strainer and stripping the fuel lines it was just one thing after another! It's too windy to mess with it this afternoon...my best toupee' blew away and I'm short on patience but it's running and I'm happy! I will kick it back up when I get back to it...
Like always...I appreciate all Yall's help!...I bought this truck 20 some odd years ago and if it weren't for this exact site I would'a sold it long ago! THANK YOU so much!

Old 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 398 Likes on 303 Posts
Awesome! Glad to hear you got it started!

The following 2 users liked this post by Edgethis:
Old 04-13-2024, 07:40 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

After mending a fuel leak I now have a 1209 and 1211 codes...I have new sensors and I'm a little stuck now. When I start it the truck idles smooth for a moment or 3 then cuts down to a rough CLACK CLACK CLACK idle...hmmm...

Old 04-13-2024, 08:25 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Is your ipr on the back of the hpop stock? Tin nut still tight?

Old 04-13-2024, 08:26 AM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
CLACK CLACK CLACK idle. ? Have you checked fuel pressure?

Old 04-13-2024, 08:33 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Edgethis
BuddyBarnes...I haven't checked the fuel pressure....YET...

I put a screwdriver edge on the Tin Nut and got a few quarter/8th turns but and noticed the the CLACKing idled in and out!...smooth to CLACK to smooth to CLACK...I also noticed a small fuel leak back so I'm taking the top housing off to rethread the fuel lines and fittings (PITA)... I'll address the Tin Nut properly with the top housing off and go from there...Thanks!

Old 04-13-2024, 10:15 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

quick question...the IPR came with a new RED gasket and the wire harness came with a YELLOW gasket...I'm using the yellow one (seems bigger)...do I need to add the RED one too?...(it seems a little loose)...what would you do?

Old 04-13-2024, 12:51 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Copedawg
quick question...the IPR came with a new RED gasket and the wire harness came with a YELLOW gasket...I'm using the yellow one (seems bigger)...do I need to add the RED one too?...(it seems a little loose)...what would you do?

The connection seemed a little sloppy but I think it's fine...if I push on it with a screwdriver to tighten it up some it doesn't make a difference...I went to the dump and back but the problem didn't go away (imagine that)...it still CLACKS a bit then smooth outs a bit...more CLACK than smooth...but I'll get around to a deeper dive eventually...Thanks!

Old 04-14-2024, 03:13 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

It's a new IPR...I stripped the Tin Nut trying to tighten it (STUPID TIN NUT, Grrrr!) from a far with a screwdriver edge but straightened all out (I think) when I fixed the fuel leak.
I Don't know why they hold it all together with a Tin Nut...I'm sure there is a real good reason for the design but I don't know it.
Could the ICP be the wrong one? OR another sensor not sensing correctly?
I think I need a new strainer between the main fuel bowl and the other Top Housing where the fuel lines are connected. I dropped 2 screens/strainers under the bowl and for the life of me I can't find them SO I got a brass aerator for a faucet diffuser and trimmed it down and jammed it in...I don't know if that is a lifetime fix or if it needs to be replace...punt on my short list of things I gotta do (?)
I think I'll put a dagger in this Thread and start a new one if things don't fall together this morning...
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2024, 03:17 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by BuddyBarnes
CLACK CLACK CLACK idle. ? Have you checked fuel pressure?
I still haven't checked the pressure (I have a gauge I sacraficed just for that but don't know where it is...if it is low...where would you start to look?...I have a new fuel bowl housing and filer and the pump is still shiny new(ish)...300 miles on it at the most
Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks!

Old 04-14-2024, 09:10 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
I replaced the tin nut with an actual nut. A dab of locktite and the nut hasn't budged in years.

The following 2 users liked this post by Edgethis:
Old 04-15-2024, 07:46 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

I replaced the tin nut with an actual nut. A dab of locktite and the nut hasn't budged in years.
Untitled video.mp4
I hope I can upload the 45 second video which will show you...or allow you to hear the clacketty clacking...

I think Spielberg can rest easy about me taking his job...sorry for the 2nd grader video but it shows the sound (?) pretty good...any help as always is welcome, Thanks!

Old 04-15-2024, 09:00 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Shoot, at first I was like that don't sound bad at all.

There must be a default pcm setting to get the engine going and then once pressures built up it reads off a sensor, which is obviously not on its A game if it does that each time you start it.

Quick Reply: Shut off-won't start. Big troubles in litte Copedawgland