1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Shut off-won't start. Big troubles in litte Copedawgland

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 04:35 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Copedawg
I tried pulling straight up and felt like a sissy boy and didn't want to break anything THEN I put a an old screwdriver through the loop and pried down and POPPED it right off...buttoned it back up and the problem still persists with NO tach bounce at all. I'm going to re-terminate the wire on the top end. I tried these plastic clamp things and I don't think they are touching the wires on the engine side...I'll send pics after work when the Sun is up...Thanks!
I wore my PJ's inside out and the Snow Gods are responding!..BUTT my truck is kaput!
I'm hoping the slits in the metal are too big to slice in to the actual wire or some other long shot...

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Old 01-15-2024, 06:33 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm not sure on your problem but those connectors are junk and should never be used on anything.

The following 6 users liked this post by 427 fordman:
96SD, BuddyBarnes, Copedawg, Edgethis, Hit Man X, z31freakify and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2024, 07:58 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 398 Likes on 303 Posts
As mentioned, those clups should be considered a temporary emergency fix.

if you have a multimeter you can check for continuity to see if they made a successful connection. Are these wires for your cps?

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-15-2024, 09:22 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Edgethis
As mentioned, those clups should be considered a temporary emergency fix.

if you have a multimeter you can check for continuity to see if they made a successful connection. Are these wires for your cps?
They were Temporary to see if it worked or not...I agree with 427 above...they are JUNK...I put new connector and wires on the CPS...I would test for continuity but I don't know where the other end of the wires are...I think it may to that big rectangle block of wires next to the under the hood fuses on the fender well. I will go try to twist them together and see what happens...I may have to fill out a police report first...my motivation must have got stolen...even my Dad Jokes are thin...Oh Geeze (Morty Sanchez voice)

Old 02-11-2024, 07:01 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Did you ever get this sorted out and truck running?

Old 02-17-2024, 03:51 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Edgethis
Did you ever get this sorted out and truck running?
No I haven't...I'm at a loss...I may just go ahead and get a whole new harness ...I'm super busy till April...Thanks for checking in though.
I keep going out and just staring at it like I'm going to see something or remember something or something just jump out at me...and nothing...

Old 02-17-2024, 04:05 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Mt truck hasn't been liking the cold lately. If I don't leave it plugged in, it'll be a pain to start. Most likely needs new glow plugs.

But I always see the rpms bounce when I crank and of course the white smoke out the tail pipe.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:26 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

I got my tax returns and I feel like I'm 10 feet tall!...Right or wrong, I ordered a bunch of new stuff the old girl. The only 2 things I didn't get was a chrome chain welded steering wheel and a chrome barefoot Go-pedal, lol. I got a new wire harness and some other sensors...I want to replace everything the harness plugs in to. Going by memory...on the front there's a coolant sensor ad there's something else between the coolant temp and CPS but I don't know what it is exactly. I also want to remove the shroud and fan...whatever is easiest. I held off on the Valve cover wires...I replaces those a few years/miles ago.
I am going TDY next month so I hope I can work on the truck in April. Fingers crossed!
Thanks Ya'll!

The following 2 users liked this post by Copedawg:
Old 02-24-2024, 07:12 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Copedawg
Going by memory...on the front there's a coolant sensor ad there's something else between the coolant temp and cps.
I am going TDY next month so I hope I can work on the truck in April. Fingers crossed!
Thanks Ya'll!
Theres the exhaust backpressure sensor there on the front of the passenger header. Only other se sor I can think of.

I go TDY all the time. It's nice, but also annoying sometimes.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:55 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The suspense is killing me here, especially since my son is going through the same things. We have buzz tested and passed, and Our story, we have started the truck with either ( yes, i know, a no no )

Old 04-10-2024, 05:29 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by just another truck
The suspense is killing me here, especially since my son is going through the same things. We have buzz tested and passed, and Our story, we have started the truck with either ( yes, i know, a no no )
I'm blowing the dust off this post today and hope to bury it for good this week!
After a little hiatus the time, weather Moon and Sun have all aligned so I started replacing the wire harness. I noticed something right off the bat...the new wire harness was a little different...a couple of wires were missing in the connector's main connection (big square blk by the fuse box under the hood)...hopefully I re-learn how to post pics below, fingers crossed.
ALSO, on the wire harness I found a RELAY? I don't know...it is taped to the harness on top on the HPOP (about there). What is solid state plug in dohicky for? How can I check it and should I get a new one? Like above, I will try to post pics below.
Thanks for following and help scooching me along...

Old 04-10-2024, 05:49 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Sorry for the HUGE pics...but here is the RELAY?...I dunno. Thoughts?

Old 04-10-2024, 06:23 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
I have something like that on my rig too. If I had to guess, it was something to delete the sensor input from the exhaust valve thing. Could be wrong. I never had a stock/normal setup 7.3 to compare it too.

I'll snap a pic when I get to my shop so we can compare.

Here's my dongle dohicky

Old 04-10-2024, 07:55 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,193 Likes on 819 Posts
Doesn't look like the OEM BARO sensor, but could be an International part IDK.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:30 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver

Quick Reply: Shut off-won't start. Big troubles in litte Copedawgland