1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Shut off-won't start. Big troubles in litte Copedawgland

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 05:51 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Is the truck worth buying a new engine harness for it?

RR sells them and cost is actually pretty reasonable.
I think it's worth it but I don't know if I want to replace the whole thing...What is RR? I'll take a look.
I wonder if I can snake new wires down to the CPS...like pulling wire through a conduit or something?

Old 01-09-2024, 05:56 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 398 Likes on 303 Posts
He's talking about RiffRaff. It shouldn't be too hard to install. If you've done wfuel already you can remove a couple plugs and make it a cleaner harness too.

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/main-...ssembly-96-97/

The following 2 users liked this post by Edgethis:
Old 01-09-2024, 03:06 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Edgethis
He's talking about RiffRaff. It shouldn't be too hard to install. If you've done wfuel already you can remove a couple plugs and make it a cleaner harness too.

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/main-...ssembly-96-97/
Riff Raff....I knew that ... I bought a few things from there...My puny mind doesn't retain much info these days...or maybe it can't remember at times, lol. I ordered the CPS harness and it should be here on the 16th(?). I spose I'll sneak it down and cut or abandoned the old one. I'll keep Ya'll posted!
Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-13-2024, 05:10 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

I got my replacement 'harness'...I get what I paid for I spose (cheep and cheap Chinese crap. with a 4" leads...I'll add some wiring to it to sneak it to the top of the HPOP. Oh well...it will prove it my suspicions anyway. Then maybe I can repair the original connector with new wires...it's nice wet and windy today BUT if I can get it to go, I can play in the snow next week (if the snow Gods smile on me).
I'll keep you posted and hopefully this will be the last page, Thanks!

EDIT: I did NOT buy the connector/harness from Riff Raff! If I would have bought from RR, I'm sure it would have been heavy duty and close to OEM if not exceeding the standard.

Old 01-13-2024, 04:34 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

CHEES N CRACKERS!!! Grrrr....OK...
I have the connector in for the most part BUT I pryed the top radiator hose out of the way to get the wire harness away from the HPOP but I didn't realize the neck was so tall up the hose ...I broke the seal of the thermostat...No Biggie...just get another thermostat and bolt it back up....the thermostat will not pull straight out! What am I doing wrong?..I pulled and pried the best I could and it isn't lifting out Do need to take the bottom part off the thermostat too?... I'm tired and frustrated so I threw in the towel for the day...I gotta go to work in a few hours and I'll work on it more tomorrow. I still think I can be ready for the snow (if we get any). does the thermostat lift out or do I need to dig deeper?
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you all!
Thank you!

Old 01-13-2024, 04:37 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,217 Likes on 992 Posts
Post a pic for us!

If you use that OE housing, there is some reinforcement plate many of us use.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:17 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
The thermostat housing is just three bolts on top of the water pump. Once you pull them off the housing itself should come off. Be mindful this can snowball quickly if it's never been off/serviced.

I picked up a billet thermostat housing for cheap and then did the international water pump w_/ folter swap too. My housing was leaking though. So needed to be replaced. And a bolt was stripped put

Old 01-14-2024, 03:56 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

The thermostat housing is just three bolts on top of the water pump. Once you pull them off the housing itself should come off. Be mindful this can snowball quickly if it's never been off/serviced.

I picked up a billet thermostat housing for cheap and then did the international water pump w_/ folter swap too. My housing was leaking though. So needed to be replaced. And a bolt was stripped put
I pulled the 3 bolts out and the housing came right off...I see the thermostat and looks like it should lift right out...but that sucker isn't budging..I would button it back up but I think I damaged it prying on it.. It seem straight forward

Old 01-14-2024, 03:59 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Post a pic for us!

If you use that OE housing, there is some reinforcement plate many of us use.
I don't know what reinforcement plate you are talking about...I will post a pic after work when the sun comes up...the new thermostat looks bigger too, imo...a pic is worth a 1000 words.

Old 01-14-2024, 07:36 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
I see. The thermostat does just sit in a groove. It had a lil oring type gadket around it. They probably sealed it with TA 31. Be careful not to damage the water pump prying the thermostats out.

The reinforcement plate goes on top of the thermostat housing and the bolts s****** ot down. Thr stock housing was made from stamped chinesium.

Old 01-14-2024, 07:56 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Copedawg
I don't know what reinforcement plate you are talking about...I will post a pic after work when the sun comes up...the new thermostat looks bigger too, imo...a pic is worth a 1000 words.
Thoughts?

Old 01-14-2024, 08:28 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Doesn't look too damaged there. I'd probably replace it anyway since it's all apart.

If you decide to rip it out, be careful of the pump below and make sure you get all the thermostat pieces.

Or you could button it up and do that another day.

Old 01-14-2024, 09:12 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Copedawg
Thoughts?

Please disreguard the the thermostat stuff...I'm back on track...I'll check back in hopefully before 1pm KICK OFF!
Thanks!

Old 01-14-2024, 11:43 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,217 Likes on 992 Posts
Maybe grab it by that arrow part on the top with some linemans pliers or tap from the side with a modest size hammer. Could always heat it some with a torch to melt the rubber some.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:41 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Maybe grab it by that arrow part on the top with some linemans pliers or tap from the side with a modest size hammer. Could always heat it some with a torch to melt the rubber some.
I tried pulling straight up and felt like a sissy boy and didn't want to break anything THEN I put a an old screwdriver through the loop and pried down and POPPED it right off...buttoned it back up and the problem still persists with NO tach bounce at all. I'm going to re-terminate the wire on the top end. I tried these plastic clamp things and I don't think they are touching the wires on the engine side...I'll send pics after work when the Sun is up...Thanks!

Quick Reply: Shut off-won't start. Big troubles in litte Copedawgland