1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1994 Econoline E150 rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 11:29 AM
willem_at_work
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1994 Econoline E150 rear shocks

Hi,

I have a problem with a saggy and squaky rear end (on the van), I've decided to replace the rear shocks and add a helper spring.
For the helper spring i'm considering this one:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hel-1801

but for the rear shocks i am confused. If i check the online shops, i get a very large variety of shocks to choose from - depending on the ride height, the internal design, the extended lenth and so forth. I would like to just replace the one's i have with stock parts or something close to that. Can't see what i have on there because they are completely rusted on the outside. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

it's a 1994 E150 econoline conversion van with 4 captains chairs and a bench in the back. I also have a 200 liter or 52 gallon lpg tank mounted inside behind the rear axle.

regards. Willem

Old 10-03-2023, 11:59 AM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 176 Likes on 166 Posts
Definitely get the springs sorted. JWA and others gave me great spring advice but we didn’t keep the E150 long enough to warrant changing worn springs or having custom springs made. My guess is the van would be sitting on helper leaves even when empty so that would have been a band aid over a compound fracture. I tried simpler bolt ons because I don’t like working on heavy rusty things. We’re much happier with the E350 for the loads we carry and tow. But enough about me.

If there’s a Bilstein option, get that.

We tried a set of Monroe Magnum(?) load levelers that have a coil spring around the shock body. They helped some and were definitely better than what they replaced. I don’t think they’ll conflict with helper leaves.

https://www.monroe.com/products/carr...ng-shocks.html

An option is air shocks which you can adjust based on load and preference. Adjust pressure before each trip or go full Monty with an onboard compressor and a switch in the dash.

https://www.monroe.com/products/carr...le-shocks.html

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 196K miles

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 04:49 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,419 Likes on 1,119 Posts
OP's issue isn't with shocks and helper springs probably won't help too much either---this van is a prime candidate for replacement stock or slighly heavier duty rear springs complete. There is a spring vendor here on FTE who'll be glad to suggest something appropriate. Once those are sorted out or renewed most any heavy duty shocks could be fitted.

Keep in mind while the springs themselves might need replaced the spring hangers and/or other fittings might also need attention. I'd recommend visiting a local "big truck" shop as they'll have the best knowledge and ability to supply and install what's needed.

Old 10-04-2023, 06:41 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,154 Likes on 1,050 Posts
I would replace them with factory HD Motocraft shocks
Yes, add the helper springs because of the added weight of the propane tank
The Bilsteins are possibly the best ones IMO if you can afford them

Old 10-04-2023, 10:28 AM
willem_at_work
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by JWA
OP's issue isn't with shocks and helper springs probably won't help too much either---this van is a prime candidate for replacement stock or slighly heavier duty rear springs complete. There is a spring vendor here on FTE who'll be glad to suggest something appropriate. Once those are sorted out or renewed most any heavy duty shocks could be fitted.

Keep in mind while the springs themselves might need replaced the spring hangers and/or other fittings might also need attention. I'd recommend visiting a local "big truck" shop as they'll have the best knowledge and ability to supply and install what's needed.
replacement rear springs are incredibly expensive though, aren't they? I've asked around in the parts shop here (netherlands), they are asking about 1K each.... that would come very close to what i have payed for the entire van.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:54 AM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Oh my! You can probably get a pair of new springs already installed in the US for $1000. JWA offered the option to have the original spring “recurved” (I forget the term he used) or custom springs fabricated. The trick is finding the fabricator. Try a shop that retrofits custom bodies like ambulances and armored cars, or a shop that builds custom trailers.

My non technical understanding is there are two possibilities: springs by specification can’t handle the load, or springs are worn. Third possibility is both. I don’t think it’s wise or even possible to build on a questionable foundation, but I’m not a truck/spring/load expert. I suppose it’s fine if you drive 50km/h. Above 80, weak suspension and curves can be a problem. Above 120, even going straight can be a challenge.

How do your springs look now with the van loaded as typical? Our ‘93 E150 springs were flat at best, axle point higher than attachment points as times. IIRC leaf springs in these vans should be lower than attachment points.

Is there an option to fit a coil spring between the axle and the frame? Make sure the coil can’t bind before the axle hits a rubber snubber. That could be painful, costly or both.

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 196K miles

Old 10-04-2023, 11:25 AM
willem_at_work
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by tabijan
Oh my! You can probably get a pair of new springs already installed in the US for $1000. JWA offered the option to have the original spring “recurved” (I forget the term he used) or custom springs fabricated. The trick is finding the fabricator. Try a shop that retrofits custom bodies like ambulances and armored cars, or a shop that builds custom trailers.

My non technical understanding is there are two possibilities: springs by specification can’t handle the load, or springs are worn. Third possibility is both. I don’t think it’s wise or even possible to build on a questionable foundation, but I’m not a truck/spring/load expert. I suppose it’s fine if you drive 50km/h. Above 80, weak suspension and curves can be a problem. Above 120, even going straight can be a challenge.

How do your springs look now with the van loaded as typical? Our ‘93 E150 springs were flat at best, axle point higher than attachment points as times. IIRC leaf springs in these vans should be lower than attachment points.

Is there an option to fit a coil spring between the axle and the frame? Make sure the coil can’t bind before the axle hits a rubber snubber. That could be painful, costly or both.

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 196K miles

Ordered the coilover load adjusting springs from Monroe as you suggested (thx!), and dropped the idea of a helper spring. i'll know more in 6 weeks when they arrive.
When the van is stationary, the springs are more or less on equal height, so no curve in the steel visible.

Old 10-05-2023, 04:38 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

I don't recall suggesting any sort of re-arching of a leaf spring pack---if I did that was my own error. IMHO if a spring is aged or has been repeatedly stressed to the point it's lost the designed arch it's should be replace. I also advocate finding a shop whose specialty is big trucks, Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt etc etc.

If any spring is worn to that point its pretty much unsafe at any speed due the handling and braking could be affected making controlling the vehicle difficult and perhaps beyond a driver's experience to control a mishandling vehicle

Originally Posted by willem_at_work
replacement rear springs are incredibly expensive though, aren't they? I've asked around in the parts shop here (netherlands), they are asking about 1K each.... that would come very close to what i have payed for the entire van.
That information would have best been disclosed at the opening of this tread---might have produced different replies or suggestions.

Good luck with this!

Old 10-05-2023, 11:43 AM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Poor choice of words on my part. I meant re-arching is possible, not necessarily recommended.

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 196K miles

Old 10-05-2023, 08:15 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 94 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA

Yep, a helper is a bandaid and will not work at all.

Old 10-05-2023, 08:17 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 94 Likes on 88 Posts
Poor choice of words on my part. I meant re-arching is possible, not necessarily recommended.

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 196K miles
There used to be a shop here that did that, they would add a new leaf or two to the pack, they had contracts with many heavy equipment companies too, its all gone overseas now, but they were the perfect answer to this situation.

Old 10-06-2023, 04:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

S'okay-----had me second guessing my own "memory"!