Setting up your mirrors to tow

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 10:17 PM
island eddie
Mountain Pass
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts
Setting up your mirrors to tow

I have a 26-foot travel trailer and 2011 F-250 FX$ 6.2 SC reg bed.
I set my stock mirrors up extended out, where I can see the road and tires of my trailer on the inside edge of the big mirror.
I am wondering if I am too low.
Am I missing too much behind me?
I read where you should be able to see 200 feet back, that seems like a lot.
Just curious, I am a slow driver, never change lanes quickly, I always leave stopping room in front, even if I have to keep dropping back as jerks pull in front of me.
How do you guys set up your mirrors?

Old 01-30-2022, 12:20 AM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 758 Likes on 692 Posts
I set mine so that in a theoretically-flat road, I see the horizon at about a third of the way down from the top, and so that if I glance at either mirror I only have a sliver of trailer in view. Lean back to see more trailer, lean forward to see more of the lane next door.

Most regions require that you can see 200 feet directly behind the vehicle combination.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:26 AM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
I set mine so I see well behind me. Why do you need to see your tires 99% of the time. Lean forward and sit up should you feel the need.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:30 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,779 Likes on 2,765 Posts
I have just a sliver of the trailer in the mirror. My trailer is so wide that even at full extension on the mirrors I can't see the tires unless I'm turning.

I wish the mirrors changed the angle in just a bit as the mirrors extend out.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:01 AM
island eddie
Mountain Pass
Thanks guys....I think I want to watch the wheels just in case they fall off

I had a episode last year while towing a guy flagged me down, said I had some serious issues with my rear tires. I was going through a very winding road.
I have spread axles.
I did have some inside wear on the tires, rear axle.
I took the trailer in yesterday, and they looked at it and right away saw the tire was not riding right.
They have it now.
I upgraded to a better tire, and even while driving to take it in, another flagged me down.
I think the stouter tires even had more sidewall flex because of the condition of the axle?

We'll see, but thanks for your advice, I will adjust my mirrors accordingly when I get it back.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:17 AM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 440 Likes on 297 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I have just a sliver of the trailer in the mirror. My trailer is so wide that even at full extension on the mirrors I can't see the tires unless I'm turning.

I wish the mirrors changed the angle in just a bit as the mirrors extend out.
Same here. I set the upper mirror so I can just see a sliver of the trailer and I angle it up a bit so I can see the upper, rear corner. If I lean forward, I can see the top of the trailer which is good for creeping into camp sites and keeping an eye on branches. The lower, convex mirror I use more for lane changes and things directly next to the truck and trailer. All personal preference and driving type. If I were in the city with a large trailer, I'd lower the mirrors so I could see next to the trailer a little easier.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:15 AM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
If you are getting motorists flagging you down, I would ask a friend to follow you and give specific details what is going on. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:14 AM
island eddie
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by SpencerPJ
If you are getting motorists flagging you down, I would ask a friend to follow you and give specific details what is going on. Good luck getting it sorted out.
It's back at the dealers now. The service writer looked at it and didn't even need to look under it. I think they installed the rear axle upside down....
The front one rides perfect, and the trailer is level, they set it all up when I bought the trailer from them.... so I don't think its my loading too much behind the axle or the togue is too high.

I just want it fixed..... nothing worse than being on the road and someone flags you down, ruins your whole trop, arg.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:37 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 443 Likes on 325 Posts
I can't help but I can empathize. I had a trailer with axle issues and it was constant headaches and heartaches. Never could get it fixed properly and ended up selling it back to the dealership. Closest I ever got to an explanation for my situation was that the axles were actually not able to hold the full amount of their rating, because the manufacturer cheaped out. I have no idea, guess I'll worry about it next time I buy something.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:35 PM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
Keep us posted. Kinda curious what specifically is being seen that causes alarm?

Old 02-01-2022, 06:19 AM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 440 Likes on 297 Posts
Originally Posted by SpencerPJ
Keep us posted. Kinda curious what specifically is being seen that causes alarm?
Here's the other thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-01-2022, 09:46 AM
clarkbre
Tuned
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I adjust mine per the example below. The factory Ford tow mirrors are really nice in that they do a great job of eliminating blind spots. The large, top mirror is set to the ("With towing mirror") so that at a glance I can see just down the side of the trailer and any cars to the left or right of the rear of the trailer. The convex mirrors are set pushed out a bit so that I can see a vehicle basically just behind the driver or passenger door. As far as height goes, I just lean forward slightly to see the front tires of the trailer. My main priority is to see the rear corners and potential vehicles in that area.

The following 2 users liked this post by clarkbre:
Old 02-07-2022, 10:44 PM
island eddie
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Pugga
Yes, that was the start of my axle issue.
I still used it last year and suffered no ill effects other than the rear tires wore inside more than the others.
I went to a more ply wider tire just to upgrade, as I was going to still pull it on a long multiday day trip of over 1200 miles, but I didn't after all.
I know the spread axles create more flex, perhaps the rear axle is carrying a bit more of the load, I'm not sure, but even given that, it wouldn't really explain it.

I called today, they had it over a week now. The service guy quit or was let go, not sure...
So I am still waiting.