2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tire Chain BS(?) Alert for SD

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 10:58 AM
JRH02
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire Chain BS(?) Alert for SD

https://fordauthority.com/2021/12/ce...e-snow-chains/

Certain Ford Super Duty Trucks Cannot Use Snow Chains

Have to say I am irritated. This article might as well be on FB. We live far remote up, and I do mean up - some 20% grades with no way to get a run for it, 2 miles of rough logging trails. When we use chains it is <10 mph and crawling. Could be chains just on the back but just as easy all the way around. I can find no precautions in the owner's manual about tire "chains" cable or otherwise. Specifically, we only use Laclede V-Block cam lock with their rubber tensioners. The above gives mention to "cable" chains and is misleading. To me there is no such thing as a cable chain. Its either cable or its chain.

The article references clearance. Again, BS. Our lowest rig is a 2000 F250 Off Road and I've run the V-Blocks on it for years. The wife has a newer F250 that is higher and mine is a F350 and both have V-Blocks in the tool box. Never a problem. But duh, when we get out of the canyon the chains come off. We would not go to town on the highway at 20mph. Duh.

OK, I'm done.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:17 AM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You, personally might not leave the chains on but others… Gotta remember, lawyers require companies to dictate rules for the lowest common denominator. Think of the dumbest person you know and then imagine rules being made for the idiots on the other side of them.

It’s why I can’t have M80s anymore. A couple people blow their fingers off and suddenly I can’t have fun either…

The following 2 users liked this post by dcf4x4:
Old 12-18-2021, 11:36 AM
JRH02
Cross-Country
Yeah, these days I don't care for M80s any more than tannerite unless they can do something other than make noise and start fires. Even then I'd use the backhoe first. It makes cool noise too.

But your point is made. Liability. Sigh.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-18-2021, 12:11 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,776 Likes on 2,765 Posts
Originally Posted by JRH02
https://fordauthority.com/2021/12/ce...e-snow-chains/

Certain Ford Super Duty Trucks Cannot Use Snow Chains

Have to say I am irritated. This article might as well be on FB. We live far remote up, and I do mean up - some 20% grades with no way to get a run for it, 2 miles of rough logging trails. When we use chains it is <10 mph and crawling. Could be chains just on the back but just as easy all the way around. I can find no precautions in the owner's manual about tire "chains" cable or otherwise. Specifically, we only use Laclede V-Block cam lock with their rubber tensioners. The above gives mention to "cable" chains and is misleading. To me there is no such thing as a cable chain. Its either cable or its chain.

The article references clearance. Again, BS. Our lowest rig is a 2000 F250 Off Road and I've run the V-Blocks on it for years. The wife has a newer F250 that is higher and mine is a F350 and both have V-Blocks in the tool box. Never a problem. But duh, when we get out of the canyon the chains come off. We would not go to town on the highway at 20mph. Duh.

OK, I'm done.
It's right there in the 2017 Owner's manual, page 394.
Note: Do not use snow chains on vehicles with 20 inch wheels and tires.
The sidewall of the 20" tires is shorter than the 18" tires, which could allow the chains to come into contact with the wheel, causing cosmetic damage to the wheel. As I recall, there was a document that I signed when I purchased my truck acknowledging that I had been warned.

I have the 18" wheels. I use both cable chains and the heavy duty ladder type chains. When conditions aren't too bad, I use the cable chains. Deep stuff or if I'm towing, I use the ladder type chains.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:05 PM
Need2Speed
Cross-Country
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Aside from the prohibition on 20” tires, my 2020 SD owners manual pg. 408 also directs you only use Class S (cable) chains and only on the rear axle.

I’ve used cables on our much lighter SUV but seriously question their effectiveness on the SD with camper on unplowed backcountry roads. Please keep your real-world experiences with chains or cables coming as I want to get a set by January.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:27 PM
JRH02
Cross-Country
It really depends where you are going. You aren't going to be bringing a rig like that into our conditions but, eh, you could. Frankly, if I was in your position, I would carry both. The cables work just fine in a lot of stuff. Use the heavy chains in the really bad spots. Neither work well if you are already stuck. So you wonder: 'Which ones'?

Cables don't pack well. A kitty litter plastic box works great for a pair of chain chains. Just drill a few holes in the bottom. I don't own any cable traction devices. But I have a bunch of cable to pull people out of ditches.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:33 PM
JRH02
Cross-Country
Mr Owl says to be smart and think ahead.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:45 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I've used the V bar chains on all my Superduty trucks with 18" tires with no issues or damage. They key factor is proper installation and practice putting them on first in perfect conditions before attempting to wing it for the first time in a storm or adverse conditions. Having a small tarp to kneel or lay on while attching the chains help some from getting soaked from snow.

I also carry these in all the trucks when just a little help is needed and not wanting to put the full wheel chain on.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:52 PM
morehouse7
Fleet Mechanic
Received 509 Likes on 330 Posts
Disregard the manual, use common sense and make sure the chains fit and clear anything you don't want scratched or ripped off. I too run Laclede V-bars with cam locks on all 4, excellent chains and nothing like a V-bar for traction. Never used cable types so can't say how well they work. I've never used tensioners either but my friends do, may try them some day.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:44 PM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Need2Speed
Aside from the prohibition on 20” tires, my 2020 SD owners manual pg. 408 also directs you only use Class S (cable) chains and only on the rear axle.

I’ve used cables on our much lighter SUV but seriously question their effectiveness on the SD with camper on unplowed backcountry roads. Please keep your real-world experiences with chains or cables coming as I want to get a set by January.
Titan makes Class S chains that are, well chains...

Titan chains on eTrailer

Old 12-20-2021, 09:28 PM
JDski
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Common sense is no longer common in America and the big picture is no longer in the picture. With that said if you are one of the majority in this country that fits into those categories and chains are needed or required you need to stay off of the paved and dirt roads. You are a hazard to yourself, others, and your vehicle. You give people like myself and the others posted above me the joy of pulling others back onto the road . (You can quote that first sentence) Rant over.
I always trial fit as suggested above. I cut my chains to fit. On the inside of the wheel I cut to the exact fit not one link extra. On the out side I leave 2-3 extra links to help get latched. Then I drive 2-3 tire rotations and adjust any slop out and apply bungees/tensioners of your favorite style. With the re-adjust I attach a bungee hook on to the loose 1-2 links to keep them from flinging around I came about this process with common sense over a few years and then 40 plus years of following the same process on many different vehicles. This process works. But having common sense is the most important issue. Stop and investigate if you hear a sound you do not like, repair or remove the chains.

The following 4 users liked this post by JDski:
Old 12-21-2021, 06:53 AM
shawnee1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 436 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by JDski
Common sense is no longer common in America and the big picture is no longer in the picture. With that said if you are one of the majority in this country that fits into those categories and chains are needed or required you need to stay off of the paved and dirt roads. You are a hazard to yourself, others, and your vehicle. You give people like myself and the others posted above me the joy of pulling others back onto the road . (You can quote that first sentence) Rant over.
I always trial fit as suggested above. I cut my chains to fit. On the inside of the wheel I cut to the exact fit not one link extra. On the out side I leave 2-3 extra links to help get latched. Then I drive 2-3 tire rotations and adjust any slop out and apply bungees/tensioners of your favorite style. With the re-adjust I attach a bungee hook on to the loose 1-2 links to keep them from flinging around I came about this process with common sense over a few years and then 40 plus years of following the same process on many different vehicles. This process works. But having common sense is the most important issue. Stop and investigate if you hear a sound you do not like, repair or remove the chains.
Common sense is one part of the equation. The other is personal responsibility. Too many want to find someone else to blame rather than accepting responsibility for their own actions,

Old 12-21-2021, 08:47 AM
losttrail
Tuned
Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts
We also live in a remote area, 3-1/2 miles off the nearest pavement where our mailboxes are. Mail is delivered only 3 days each week. Several hills, steep grades. One stretch is nearly a mile of winding, varied grade in a canyon that gets hardly any sun during the winter season. Once a few people drive on it, snow quickly becomes packed snow, then ice. 90% of us haul water since drilling a well is a 600'-900' proposition with only about a 30% chance of hitting water, then only .5 - 2 gallons per minute.

Without chains, none of us would be getting in or out of the 'hood for weeks or months at a time. Yes, we drive slowly, even in dry times since we all have to pay to maintain the roads. Once we get to the pavement, chains come off.

Funny how the auto manufacturers seem to have lost connection with what trucks should do. Not just get shiny bits thrown on and looks good at the mall.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:55 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,339 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by shawnee1
Common sense is one part of the equation. The other is personal responsibility. Too many want to find someone else to blame rather than accepting responsibility for their own actions,
We need to call these people out, maybe time for a trip to the train station... If you install or use chains improperly and it causes damage, pay the price. We have all had those moments. It is called personal responsibility and if common sense eludes you to the point of making and expensive error OWN IT.

I like JD fit my chains every time a different set of tires goes on the truck, once a season usually. I run bar chains on 35" Tremor sized tires (285/75-18) with no problem. There is more than enough room for them front and rear. You have to watch full lock in the front because mine start clicking the radius arm but. Making a "no chains" statement is just for the lawyers and idiots that surround us. It is my truck and I'll run chains on it as needed. I sure do not need Ford permission or anyone else's for that matter.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:56 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 532 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
I've used the V bar chains on all my Superduty trucks with 18" tires with no issues or damage. They key factor is proper installation and practice putting them on first time in perfect conditions before attempting to wing it for the first time in a storm or adverse conditions. Having a small tarp to kneel or lay on while attching the chains help some from getting soaked from snow.

I also carry these in all the trucks when just a little help is needed and not wanting to put the full wheel chain on.
Scraprat. Where did you get the chains in your photo?

Quick Reply: Tire Chain BS(?) Alert for SD