2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tire Chain BS(?) Alert for SD

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 10:13 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,339 Likes on 1,180 Posts
I bet I can have my truck chained up with full chains faster than you can strap on those silly partial chains... People always trying to short cut the need...

Old 12-21-2021, 10:32 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,549 Likes on 1,332 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
Scraprat. Where did you get the chains in your photo?
I've got all my chains from here.

https://tirechain.com/emergency-tire-straps/

I should note that I use 2 per tire to releave the spin/ grab of the chains.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-21-2021, 10:38 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RidgwaySD
I bet I can have my truck chained up with full chains faster than you can strap on those silly partial chains... People always trying to short cut the need...
That may be so that you can put a full set on faster but from personal experience I'd rather throw the emergency chains on for getting up an incline that's iced over or getting out of a mud slick area than fooling with a full set especially with my dually which has the dual chain per side.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:49 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,339 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
That may be so that you can put a full set on faster but from personal experience I rather throws the emergency chains on for getting up an incline that's iced over or getting out of a mud slick area than fooling with a full set especially with my dually which has the dual chain per side.
Seems like a dangerous game to fit a few inches of chain to a wheel with a 6-7 foot circumference. That doesn't buy you much bite and means you are spinning that tire a lot to try and get traction. Maybe you have an application for those but they look dangerous to me.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:57 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RidgwaySD
Seems like a dangerous game to fit a few inches of chain to a wheel with a 6-7 foot circumference. That doesn't buy you much bite and means you are spinning that tire a lot to try and get traction. Maybe you have an application for those but they look dangerous to me.
No more dangerous than a full set. Keep in mind these aren't for long drives like a full set, these are for short needs like I posted without the hassle of an entire wheel wrap. I think you're picturing a long haul ride with them.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:50 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,452 Likes on 1,813 Posts
Originally Posted by JRH02
I can find no precautions in the owner's manual about tire "chains" cable or otherwise.
Link to Ford's HTML version of the 2021 Super Duty Owner's Manual page on Snow Chains (full text)

Old 12-22-2021, 07:06 AM
M1A4ME
Cargo Master
Received 405 Likes on 365 Posts
The notice seems to be "common sense." Which, unfortunately, ain't very common for the last couple of decades and won't get any better at the rate we're going.

Kind of like the alarm that goes off on my F250 to tell me to check the back seat (so I don't forget my kids are there? Come on. If you can't remember your kids are in the back seat, you shouldn't be allowed to drive.)

Chains are very useful and sometimes the only way you can get where you want to/need to go.

I used to need them every now and then when I lived in the mountains (rear wheel drive cars). I remember when they used to come in cloth bags you stored them in your trunk in all winter - just in case. Be a pain in the butt for me to have to put some on the new truck these days.

Corporations and lawyers may be more dangerous to our future than the government.

May your chains always work and never break. Or something like that.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:11 AM
arniet
Mountain Pass
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
They aren't much good without some spare cross chains, chain pliers, cold shuts and wire. If you got em, you don't need em.

The following 2 users liked this post by arniet:
Old 12-22-2021, 01:42 PM
JRH02
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I need chains (real chains. Vblocks, not cables) these would be a problem. But like no chains at all you don't know until you are in the $h1T unless you think forward..

My worst nightmare is climbing the grade, even with previous tire tracks and having the wheel hop happen. If you slow down you are screwed and you can't speed up. You can't get a run for it so ya have to power through it, tolerate it, and wonder how many years of life you lost to a bunch of drive train trauma. If ya don't break something immediately. With these strap on chains I'd never get home.

Full, tight, Vblock chains protect against problems. Of course there is the philosophy that the better your traction is the worse you get stuck and I can verify that is true. But ya also need to know when to stop.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:03 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,735 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by JRH02
When I need chains (real chains. Vblocks, not cables) these would be a problem. But like no chains at all you don't know until you are in the $h1T unless you think forward..

My worst nightmare is climbing the grade, even with previous tire tracks and having the wheel hop happen. If you slow down you are screwed and you can't speed up. You can't get a run for it so ya have to power through it, tolerate it, and wonder how many years of life you lost to a bunch of drive train trauma. If ya don't break something immediately. With these strap on chains I'd never get home.

Full, tight, Vblock chains protect against problems. Of course there is the philosophy that the better your traction is the worse you get stuck and I can verify that is true. But ya also need to know when to stop.
Isn’t that right after forward motion ceases!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Old 12-22-2021, 03:32 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by arniet
They aren't much good without some spare cross chains, chain pliers, cold shuts and wire. If you got em, you don't need em.
I always also carried a sack full of these with me.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:45 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,970 Likes on 2,817 Posts
Don, I had to buy a set of carabiners like that for my chains. They were specifically listed as "Tire Chain Extenders". They're probably the same exact thing you posted, just in different packaging. The Laclede chains are the right ones for my tire size, they just won't go on without either airing way down (< 40 PSI) or adding the extenders.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:51 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Don, I had to buy a set of carabiners like that for my chains. They were specifically listed as "Tire Chain Extenders". They're probably the same exact thing you posted, just in different packaging. The Laclede chains are the right ones for my tire size, they just won't go on without either airing way down (< 40 PSI) or adding the extenders.
And probably charge more than for regular hardware! But, they make great emergency repairs in the field, quick n easy. I always had two or three sizes of the also. Just in case.

On the big crude haulers, I would chain both drive axles generally with full dual chains, have one for a tire on the steer axle if needed, and at least two for drag chains on the trailer when it got real bad. And at 110,000 pounds + with 600 HP it was easy to tear them up! Field repairs happened quite frequently.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:04 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,970 Likes on 2,817 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Don
And probably charge more than for regular hardware! But, they make great emergency repairs in the field, quick n easy. I always had two or three sizes of the also. Just in case.

On the big crude haulers, I would chain both drive axles generally with full dual chains, have one for a tire on the steer axle if needed, and at least two for drag chains on the trailer when it got real bad. And at 110,000 pounds + with 600 HP it was easy to tear them up! Field repairs happened quite frequently.
Extras are good. I wasn't sure which size was going to work best so I bought a few. I keep the extras in the ammo can with chains.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:16 PM
Waynecanoue
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a set of steer tire chains off a semi, cut them down to size and fit and function well on 35x12.5r20. No rubbing in the back, the front would rub and rip off the flaps. I agree fit them up and go from there.

Hope this help,